• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RESTORING AMAING FANTASY 15

26 posts in this topic

My brother has a CGC .5 blue label that needs restoration. it would have to be cracked. I do not know what he paid. I may be from his original collection.

Thank you for responding.

Is it worth it. What would the cost be. This is uncharted waters for me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Having trouble with my Z key.

Thanks!

Try this FORUM. Someone there who doesn't visit Comics General may have the best info for you.

In general, most collectors want a Blue Label. People are usually spending money going the opposite direction, unrestoring the book to get the blue label. At 0.5, I would think you would need at least 3 upward ticks in grade on the restored grade just to break even. Even then, the blue label is an easier sell, more resistance for restored. You need to get a real appraisal from a legitimate restorer. Any freebie comments from here on the Boards aren't really worth much. Just saying.

Restored books sell very well in market, especially as blue label books on even the very low grades reach into multiple thousands. A purple label (or even better a purple/yellow label with signature) with a great presenting cover can do very well with people who want a good looking book but cannot afford mid-high grades on the key. However, the greater the restoration the more difficult the sale. Trimmed books can be a little harder to sell and have very polarizing impacts on people.

I have had a couple books restored and I have sold them for a profit (in some cases with very good margin), but the restoration process can take a long time (>6 months in some cases).

If you posted a picture of the book it might be a little easier to understand what level of restoration you are looking at and whether or not it is worth the time/money.

Also, this thread likely belongs in the grading section of the boards.

Good luck. (thumbs u

If you posted a picture of the book it might be a little easier to understand what level of restoration you are looking at and whether or not it is worth the time/money.

(thumbs u

While a picture is always good, we are talking about a 0.5 here. The restoration will be extensive.

Also, it was my understanding that you do not get a Purple Label at 0.5 . This means there may already be resto such as trimming that will not be mentioned on the label. I just don't want to see this guy get bad info from the Boards. This type of question should be addressed to a professional.

(thumbs u

While a picture is always good, we are talking about a 0.5 here. The restoration will be extensive.

Also, it was my understanding that you do not get a Purple Label at 0.5 . This means there may already be resto such as trimming that will not be mentioned on the label. I just don't want to see this guy get bad info from the Boards. This type of question should be addressed to a professional.

:shrug:

I have had a few 0.5's turned into 3.0-4.5 with extensive resto. I have also had a 1.8 turned into an 8.0. It really depends on what the damage is.

Guy asked for advice, he got some advice. Of course he should go to someone who personally does restoration, not just people who deal in it.

I don't get the big deal.

(thumbs u

I have had a few 0.5's turned into 3.0-4.5 with extensive resto. I have also had a 1.8 turned into an 8.0. It really depends on what the damage is.

Guy asked for advice, he got some advice. Of course he should go to someone who personally does restoration, not just people who deal in it.

+1

I have a book that would have been a .5 off getting resto. The restorer believes he can get it up above a 4.0. For the money, it is well worth it.

I know there is a stigma against PLODs though.

(thumbs u

+1

I have a book that would have been a .5 off getting resto. The restorer believes he can get it up above a 4.0. For the money, it is well worth it.

I know there is a stigma against PLODs though.

No brainer if a 0.5 Blue turns into 4.0 Purple. Indeed, well worth it. My only point is how can we

tell him what the book will restore to ? He needs to get it evaluated by a professional.

People poo poo PLOD books. I will take a 4.0 with a reattached cover and a small amount of color touch over a .5 "left in the rain" or a "remaindered special" every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

People poo poo PLOD books. I will take a 4.0 with a reattached cover and a small amount of color touch over a .5 "left in the rain" or a "remaindered special" every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

+1

I tend to agree with this - generally I do not like restored books, but in SUPER KEYS, my opinion may change.

It may depend on condition of the .5-1.0 vs. what a restored 3.0-4.0 may look like

I also wanted a nice looking restored copy over a beat-to-mess rag:

17692400884_9f295a3735_z.jpg

Great example!

There are some talented restoration experts out there that can make this happen!

Word of caution though - the resale price on an extensively restored book is usually around 25% of blue label (maybe a little less if trimmed) and extensive restoration can set you back $1,000 or more. Net, it isn't always an easy numbers game!