• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best penciller amongst the inkers?

32 posts in this topic

Dick Ayers! He both penciled and inked books like A-1 27 (GA Ghost Rider from Magazine Enterprises) and inked many of Kirby's Marvel SA pencils. I had met him and spent some time talking with him and he was a wonderful man, and his wife a wonderful woman.

Ayers yeah

Hey what th-

I know! You have to say D i c k, then highlight a letter and choose black for the color. Then it will work because the color markup interrupts the text and the spoon filter cannot decipher it!

What about f-

never mind

Yeah - it will work for f- but the mods will probably come down hard on that one! So I say just use it when it makes sense like for Dick Ayers or Dick Sprang or Dick Giordano etc.! They won't come down on you for that.

Layton or Ayers for me.

If the question were best inker among artists who were primarily pencilers, the answer is Romita Sr. He can even make JRJR's pencils look good.....

But that wasn't the question, so Layton or Ayers, and ultimately probably Layton.

Joe Sinnott did some penciling on a few Thor stories in JIM.

While his storytelling was clear and action scenes were OK, I remember his drawing of Don Blake was not so great. Pretty bad, actually.

I believe in an attempt to portray Don Blake's weakness as opposed to his mighty Thor persona, Joe drew Don's head way to large for his body. It looked silly.

Point being, as great an inker as Sinnott was for Kirby (and others), his penciling left something to be desired, at least in those issues anyway.