• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any rules while buying at Cons? Is it ok to create a bidding war?

127 posts in this topic

Three years ago I saw a very aggressive argument at Phoenix Comic-con over looking through a long-box. I thought there was going to be a fight and when nothing happened I was disappointed. A lot of huffing and puffing, but not a blow was thrown... :tonofbricks: I talked to the owner afterwards and he said that neither guy bought any books from the box they were arguing over.

:shrug:

FYI - I prefer to shill bid when people are looking for books. Run up the price for the other guy and then run! :whee:

Most fights consist of 2 guys going f- you! No f- you! Yeah F- you as they slowly walk away from each other.

I would have flipped through everything else at the dealers table while they were waiting and eying the situation. If the book is that important to you then you can wait it out while the guy tosses and turns.

1 - If the guy buys the book then even if you spoke up you weren't getting it.

2 - If you speak up, as was mentioned, it might spark the guy into buying the book.

3 - The minute the guy says, "I'll come back, I need to think about it." or something that is not a definite purchase short of a, "Please put this on hold so I can go to the ATM", you hold up your :takeit: sign.

Which is exactly what the guy did. I came back to claim the book and the first guy had placed it on hold while he ran to the bank to get cash. Oh well - guess I should have stood there and waited but I got impatient.

Maybe I missed something but I don't think anything you did was in poor form.I'd also contend that unless you are overtly rude, there is no such thing asimproper show etiquette.If you want to make someone an offer on a book, no matter what, it's your right.Just look them in the eye and be damn serious about it

That is all that etiquette demands.Simple respect.

As far as someone eyeing a book up and then leaving a table, asking for the book to be put on hold.....9 times out of 10, in my experience, the "buyer" never comes back to buy said book....or even worse, they come back an hour later in the show and try to lowball you for a book that you set aside for them, under the unsaid assumption that they were willing to pay the price stickered on the book.......and in the time frame that the book was set aside, someone else could have very well walked up to the table and paid full sticker for the book so you are doing someone a favor, while they are trying to bend you over.....that is a prime example of unacceptable behavior at a show.

That is also distinctly why I won't hold books for someone while they run to the bank, or....whatever kinda jive talk they throw at me.

Cash or credit, show me the money and slap it in my greasy palm right quick or lose your place in line

(need I insert a....m*thafuc*a.... after that statement?)

Otherwise, the prospective "buyer" is only stalling a sale and potentially taking money out of the dealer's pockets.

A show is meant to be first come, first served.

Wow...must be friendly up here...although I have seen a few people get VERY angry at GRoss.....wont spell full name,as ill be threatened with legal action....G.ROSS

Gross.

There are very few people in this hobby who I believe are bad guys. There are a bunch of shady guys, and a bunch of guys who I wouldn't trust with my daughter, but only a few who are bad guys.

The referred to person is one of those.