• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any rules while buying at Cons? Is it ok to create a bidding war?

127 posts in this topic

Going over the top is in poor form. If I'm negotiating/trying to buy (and at cons this takes time as the dealer is multi tasking and often other books are worked into one deal.) I don't care for outside interference. The end results are going to be yes or no. There is enough pressure and to have someone spouting off interests on books I'm working a deal on sucks. I usually(as it's happened to me) just say " here, take it buy it" and I walk off.

I don't know if I thought about it in depth but I guess I was hoping my statement would get the guy to get off the fence and hand me the book if he wasn't that serious about it. I couldn't justify hanging around watching the guy for an hour but the possible $250 gain was worth me poking the situation a bit. lol

I've seen it done plenty of times on the boards were someone says they will take a book if a deal falls thru to prevent a third party from stepping in.

I don't like this behavior here on the boards, either. Really annoying, and it bugs me every time I see it. 2c

I've seen it done plenty of times on the boards were someone says they will take a book if a deal falls thru to prevent a third party from stepping in.

I don't like this behavior here on the boards, either. Really annoying, and it bugs me every time I see it. 2c

What about this annoys you. No one is trying to jump the line .

I would say go by the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. How would you feel if you clicked the I'll Take It on the boards and someone else posted I'll Take It plus $100.00.

You know whether something is right or wrong. Its not necessary to make some big drama out of it. Its just a comic book.

I'd have been shocked if anyone had said it was ok it start a bidding war but I didn't think asking the seller to put a book on hold if a deal fell thru was over the top. I've seen it done plenty of times on the boards were someone says they will take a book if a deal falls thru to prevent a third party from stepping in.

Was the other guy still there when you asked? If so, then the deal/negotiations were still in progress.

If a deal is in progress, I think the consensus is don't interrupt, cut in or interject yourself in someone else's negotiations.

Potential for deal interference; thread clutter from queuing up; what if I'm interested in the book...do I need to go around posting contingent take its everywhere? Thirds....fourths? Where does it stop?

I would say go by the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. How would you feel if you clicked the I'll Take It on the boards and someone else posted I'll Take It plus $100.00.

You know whether something is right or wrong. Its not necessary to make some big drama out of it. Its just a comic book.

I'd have been shocked if anyone had said it was ok it start a bidding war but I didn't think asking the seller to put a book on hold if a deal fell thru was over the top. I've seen it done plenty of times on the boards were someone says they will take a book if a deal falls thru to prevent a third party from stepping in.

I sense another round of selling quidelines debate ready to be queued up

:whee:

:roflmao:

:baiting:

:whee:

:roflmao:

:baiting:

(shrug):shy:

Potential for deal interference; thread clutter from queuing up; what if I'm interested in the book...do I need to go around posting contingent take its everywhere? Thirds....fourths? Where does it stop?

It's not exactly apples and apples comparison since an I'll Take It is a binding agreement here on the boards. The only time I see it being an issue is when a buyer allows take it pending scans or a brand new buyer takes something nice and people may feel like the deal may fall thru and they want to be next in line. Since most of the negotiations are done in private on the boards its tough to step on anyone's toes during a negotiation.

surprised no one has suggested walking up to the possible buyer holding the book and just taking it out of their hands and buying it.

doh!

That's the step before tackling the guy and then taking the comic.

Which is essentially what happens on the boards every day. Think about a book for a second and its gone.

surprised no one has suggested walking up to the possible buyer holding the book and just taking it out of their hands and buying it.

doh!

What you do is tap the their opposite shoulder and then take the book when they look that way. Then duck and roll behind some long boxes. He will never know what happened.

Which is essentially what happens on the boards every day. Think about a book for a second and its gone.

it's an interesting distinction. It's been accepted here on the boards since, well, forever it seems. However, when it's face-to-face it's a no-no.

doh!

What you do is tap the their opposite shoulder and then take the book when they look that way. Then duck and roll behind some long boxes. He will never know what happened.

Don't forget to say "yoink" when you grab it.

How would you feel if you clicked the I'll Take It on the boards and someone else posted I'll Take It plus $100.00.

Unfortunately, I think this sometimes actually happens on under priced books on the Boards. Some of those 'Nice grab, LMK if the deal falls through' type of comments in a sales threads actually translate into PM offers of 'I'll buy it for +100.00'.

doh!

Screw that. Follow him out to the parking lot and get all his goodies, not just a single book.

How would you feel if you clicked the I'll Take It on the boards and someone else posted I'll Take It plus $100.00.

Unfortunately, I think this sometimes actually happens on under priced books on the Boards. Some of those 'Nice grab, LMK if the deal falls through' type of comments in a sales threads actually translate into PM offers of 'I'll buy it for +100.00'.

What is wrong with that? You pick up a book I want, what is wrong with PMing you an offer for the book?

What is wrong with that? You pick up a book I want, what is wrong with PMing you an offer for the book?

I think he meant e-mailing the original seller to offer him more money then he is getting from the other guy.

I'm wondering if there are any unwritten rules when it comes to buying at a Con. For example - I walked up to a booth today and a guy beside me is looking over a MP 1 and the book was sweet. I obviously did not have it in hand but from looking over his shoulder it looked 9.0 or possible 9.2! The dealer put the book back in the bag for the guy and told me his books were 25% off the marked price and pointed to the MP 1 and said this one would be $75 rather then $100. I couldn't believe the guy was still thinking about buying it at that price and I was considering offering the guy $125 for it but I thought it broke some rule.

I checked out the dealers other books but kept an eye on the MP 1 which the potential buyer kept in his hands while he looked at other books. I ended up getting impatient and told the dealer that I'd like to put the MP 1 on hold if the other guy declined on the book. The buyer kind of gave me a stop stepping on my toes look. Did I break a unwritten code by asking to hold the book if he said no since the dealer now knew he had a sale at full price? I always see deals going down that if love to offer a higher price but never do. What's your thoughts on the matter?

i would not say anything while the guy still has it in his hands

i think there are some guys at shows who might clock you for doing something like this (would you do this if, let's say, the guy was 6' 6", 340 pounds of muscle?)

maybe he is putting together a stack of books to work out a deal?

plus you are flagging the fact that it is underpriced

frankly i would be pissed if someone did this while the book was still in my hands for all of the above reasons

i understand the annoyance of people sitting on books and making you wait and they ultimately don't buy them. i see it all the time with cheap-o books, guys pulls a big stack and then only buys 3 of them, while damaging a few for fun.