• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jungle Action #5 - 4 staples but only cover holes for 2 staples???

29 posts in this topic

This is fairly common.

what's the point of saying this - the op is asking for input on why this happened, and you make the statement that it's common.....why not atleast include some input as to what happened?

Live up to that stardom reputation, RMA. Don't stoop to a jaydog level here......

OOooo, a get back down to earth slap...

Some books missed their cover during stapling and were run back through a second time. Not common but it happened. It's production and therefore a blue label. If this thread has enough legs, someone will post a slabbed book.

any ideas how the inner staples aged faster than the outer staples?

I have a TTA 27 with this exact issue. 4 staples but only 2 go thru the cover.

I know for a fact it's original because it came from a raw collection where nothing was tampered with.

My problem is.... the cover had almost fully split at the spine on the comic and I made the mistake of sealing the spilt with archival tape. Now, because I repaired the spine split, it looks like I married the cover to a coverless comic (and left the two staples on the "coverless" comic).

I'm scared to send it to CGC now. I was thinking of writing a note to tell them the 4 staples are all original, but I don't think they'll believe me.

Would they be able to tell it's all original?

What RMA and Moondog said.

This is a common issue with Marvels from the 60s and 70s and occasionally, into the 80s. One of the books that you often see it with is DD #161...I've had three like this, off the top of my head.

For whatever reason, the book is not stapled on the automated press and after printing, the cover is manually attached.

And they do get blue Universal labels. (thumbs u

I think DiceX explained it like this once. Early in the printing process a small batch of interiors are run (remember, turning on the printing press will get you 100 copies in a matter of seconds). These are stacked and assembled in a sort of QC process (did everything get sequence properly, all pages printed, etc.) Instead of wasting these copies they simply add them to the stack of book that will get covers. These get re-stapled along with everything else.

And, yes, it's fairly common, especially for Silver and Bronze books... maybe 1 in every 3,000-4,000. It seems to show up on certain books more than others.

This is fairly common.

Really? I've gone through over 100,000 comics in the past 13 years and this is the 1st one I've ever seen. (shrug)

Yes.

If you see "manufactured with additional staples", that's usually how it looks. I just subbed an FF #36 for a client that had the same issue. I've seen it quite a bit (meaning probably 20-30 times over the years.)

This is fairly common.

what's the point of saying this - the op is asking for input on why this happened, and you make the statement that it's common.....why not atleast include some input as to what happened?

Live up to that stardom reputation, RMA. Don't stoop to a jaydog level here......

The point of saying it is to say that it is fairly common. It isn't anything different, strange, odd, or special, so that Shark won't think it is. It's just a printing defect, and it exists on a fairly decent amount of books from this time period.

As to why it happened, I have my ideas, but it's not an area that I am versed in. Others have offered their thoughts, and likely one or more is on point.

As to the rest of your comment, I really don't have any idea what you're talking about. :shrug: