• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jungle Action #5 - 4 staples but only cover holes for 2 staples???

29 posts in this topic

I was in the process of grading/re-grading a stack of Black Panther and Jungle Action comics when I ran into something I have never seen before. One of the strangest damned things I ever saw. hm

When I looked at the outside cover, I saw 2 staples just as it should have.

Photo of the top staple:

Jungle%20Action%205%20top%20staple%20thru%20cover_zpscepg7w07.jpg

Photo of the bottom staple:

Jungle%20Action%205%20bottom%20staple%20thru%20cover_zps4ubum6s2.jpg

These are the only staples that go through the cover and through to the centerfold. So when I was doing my page count and got to the centerfold what did I see? 4 staples! WTF??? :ohnoez:

Jungle%20Action%205%20all%204%20staples%20at%20centerfold_zpsuibfspk6.jpg

So I flip back to the first page and see that the lower top staple and the lower bottom staple are through the entire book but do not go through the cover and never did. :o

Jungle%20Action%205%20both%20top%20staples%20-%20page%201_zpscor4cefk.jpg

Jungle%20Action%205%20both%20bottom%20staples%20-%20page%201_zpsd3wohupn.jpg

So the first thing I'm thinking is "I've never seen this before." The 2nd thing I'm thinking is "How did they possibly do this and why?"

As you can see by these pictures of the staples at the centerfold, it appears that the upper top staple and upper bottom staple are newer than the other 2 staples that only go through the book but not the cover:

Jungle%20Action%205%20both%20top%20staples%20at%20centerfold_zpspucopsr2.jpg

Jungle%20Action%205%20both%20bottom%20staples%20at%20centerfold_zpsqhdmak7y.jpg

There are only 2 reasons I can think of for a book existing like this. Either the original cover didn't get attached at the printer and they (the printer) added it later by hand OR someone managed to obtain a cover only and attached it to this book. Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?

Off the top of my head, maybe the page wraps were stapled incorrectly as a square bound book would have been, then a second set of staples were add to attach the cover to the already stapled pages.

My only idea is a coverless comic that years later someone with access to an industrial stapler and a never used cover stapled it on.

But that makes no sense

Maybe during production it went through the stapler without a cover? The operator saw that, pulled the comic and then sent it through with a cover?

?

Not sure that's even possible though. There are a couple of boardies who know printing and comic book production. maybe they can chime in.

Maybe during production it went through the stapler without a cover? The operator saw that, pulled the comic and then sent it through with a cover?

?

Not sure that's even possible though. There are a couple of boardies who know printing and comic book production. maybe they can chime in.

That's right. I have owned several comics like this.

They may have also been hand stapled at the end of the run, with workers marrying loose covers and interiors.

?

They may have also been hand stapled at the end of the run, with workers marrying loose covers and interiors.

So if CGC were to grade this, would it get a GLOD (manufacturing error) or a blue label?

?

So if CGC were to grade this, would it get a GLOD (manufacturing error) or a blue label?

I subbed an early ASM with the same staple situation and it got a blue label with no notes.

Yeah I have a book or two like this, never thought about it too much.

I don't remember which books they are, I just remember noticing it.

I figure if there are books with multiple covers, then there are books with a missing cover. Figure the cover was just added on at the printers after the fact.

I call these "Scaramanga Books".....they have extraneous, umm, staples.

This is fairly common.

what's the point of saying this - the op is asking for input on why this happened, and you make the statement that it's common.....why not atleast include some input as to what happened?

Live up to that stardom reputation, RMA. Don't stoop to a jaydog level here......