• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking For Simonson Thor's in 9.8

18 posts in this topic

but other than the first one, MAYBE, who would bother spending the money to slab the rest?

Not me, I just bought a handfull "pre-made" for $25 a pop. Would cost me 3 times as much to do it myself. Its my favorite run of all time and I figure I get all of them in slabbs so I can drool over them for years to come. From a pure art appreciation there are some are some great covers.

Thor-357-98.jpg

so you'd pay $25 each for them slabbed?

what about in PGX slabs?

I have that run in gorgeous condition. Risking the money to slab them..... very risky.

A lot of people seem to get down on Simonson, but this was a classic run and I know exactly what you're saying re: the covers.

Seriously, what run that started in the 80s was any better than this other than maybe Byrne's on FF? Maybe Byrne on Alpha Flight. (Arguments can be made about Miller on Daredevil and Perez on Avengers, but both started in the 70s. Most other runs didn't last long enough or were just bad/mediocre.)

so you'd pay $25 each for them slabbed?

what about in PGX slabs?

I have that run in gorgeous condition. Risking the money to slab them..... very risky.

A lot of people seem to get down on Simonson, but this was a classic run and I know exactly what you're saying re: the covers.

Seriously, what run that started in the 80s was any better than this other than maybe Byrne's on FF? Maybe Byrne on Alpha Flight. (Arguments can be made about Miller on Daredevil and Perez on Avengers, but both started in the 70s. Most other runs didn't last long enough or were just bad/mediocre.)

I guess your going to see people submit these with the hope that they pull out a 9.9 or higher. For me, living up in Canada the courier costs alone would be about $40 and then the submission fee, wait time, etc it just wouldn't make any sense for me to try and slabb these myself. I bought 4 issues off of Pedigree and yeah at $25 a pop I'm all over these. PGX maybe if it was a 9.9 and cheap and one of the better issues otherwise I'll stick with CGC. Its an inexpensive way for me to obtain a nice run of books I can keep for many years. I have a Thor #151 that is a 9.6 but I could have bought 15 or more of these for the same price. Can't see them ever getting much cheaper than $25.

All those runs you mentioned were great, Byrne FF had better art but the story lines in these runs to me were head and shoulders above anything I have read. That statement still holds true today.

at $10 a slab, using a pre-screen, it may make sense to take a shot at the 50 bestity best i have

alas, CGC is going to cost more than that

anyway, my very first cgc 9.8 (for a 1984 book) is en route in the mail, so at least now i will have an idea what one should look like, assuming no shaken slab syndrome in the mail.

the highest i have is a 9.4 (late 80s). basically i've bought slabbed books to feel comfortable buying expensive mid grade/lower grade GA and SA given that i have heart palpitations about half of my unslabbed heavy books having been restored.

well, it's $15 for 10 or more, $16 for less. not a big difference. still too much money to roll the dice for 9.8s unless you have books that will sell well as 9.4s like some of the Byrne X-Men and a few other post-75 books. but these thors, for example, guide for like $5 and can be gotten for less. a 9.4 slab is going to be worth about... $5? certainly not the slabbing fee. sure, if it's a sure thing turning a $1 book into a $25 book by spending $15 maybeseems like a good idea, but if you're only right 1 in 3 times, you're burned

but $49 for any book they allege is "worth" more than $250 is a killer. 20% of what the book is "worth" (if near $250) just to get it slabbed? $49 is a huge price for a book they decide is "worth" $260.

i've got a bunch of stuff that's maybe in the $250-$350 range. the thought of having to pay $49 each to get them graded, and maybe get told they're restored, makes me ill.

and $29 for any pre-75 book under $250? some guy posted a real nice Adventure 326 here in VF (looked better). The book is only $50 in guide and that's what he was asking fpr. But he maybe spent $29 to get it slabbed! I've got my share of nice and sharp $50-150 pre 75 books that probably deserve a slab, but $29 each? uhg.

well, it's $15 for 10 or more, $16 for less. not a big difference. still too much money to roll the dice for 9.8s unless you have books that will sell well as 9.4s like some of the Byrne X-Men and a few other post-75 books. but these thors, for example, guide for like $5 and can be gotten for less. a 9.4 slab is going to be worth about... $5? certainly not the slabbing fee. sure, if it's a sure thing turning a $1 book into a $25 book by spending $15 maybeseems like a good idea, but if you're only right 1 in 3 times, you're burned

but $49 for any book they allege is "worth" more than $250 is a killer. 20% of what the book is "worth" (if near $250) just to get it slabbed? $49 is a huge price for a book they decide is "worth" $260.

i've got a bunch of stuff that's maybe in the $250-$350 range. the thought of having to pay $49 each to get them graded, and maybe get told they're restored, makes me ill.

and $29 for any pre-75 book under $250? some guy posted a real nice Adventure 326 here in VF (looked better). The book is only $50 in guide and that's what he was asking fpr. But he maybe spent $29 to get it slabbed! I've got my share of nice and sharp $50-150 pre 75 books that probably deserve a slab, but $29 each? uhg.

I agree with you totaly. I am on a very tight budget each month. I get $100 a month to spend on books, sometimes i can squirell an extra $25. For me to spend $125 to get books graded and spend all of my budget is not fun in my mind, and I am in this hobby to have fun! Do I have books I want to get graded? Sure. My JiM 112 vf or my ToS 41 f/vf, but I either have to spend over $100 to get them graded, or spend the $100 for the CS coupons and still spend money for shipping. If I had more money or a lot more of my collection complete, then okay, ill spend the money to either buy or send books off to get graded, until then, ill buy raw, trust my grading (try not to pay attention to the grade in the OT for the grading contest) and enjoy every dime I spend, cause I can get more bang for my book that way.

i've got a signed copy of 337 (two actually, but one's about an 8.5 - 9.0), 338 and 339. 337 & 338 might make 9.6, and i could be persuaded to let them go...they're signed in pen on the bottom of the splash page, and the man himself signed them in front of me at a convention in like '84 or '85.

neither of them are 9.8s, sadly. 337 has two small NCBCs on the spine and a wee production smudge, and the 338 has a dinged ULC. 339 has a bad bend across the bottom, like it got caught up between some other books. dammit.

anyway, was going through my old Thor run and thought i would toss this out there

Sal,

Appreciate the offer. I actually have pretty much every issue from #300 up in raw form already in HG condition but I'm looking to complete the Simonson run in slabbed 9.8. Looks like I was able to hook up issue #350 today. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

There are a couple on Comiclink, but the bids are around $25 and the buy price is close to $40 (ouch)

Sal,

Appreciate the offer. I actually have pretty much every issue from #300 up in raw form already in HG condition but I'm looking to complete the Simonson run in slabbed 9.8. Looks like I was able to hook up issue #350 today. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

There are a couple on Comiclink, but the bids are around $25 and the buy price is close to $40 (ouch)

I actually made those bids a few months ago yay.gif and I can't remember what the counter offer was but it was in the $30's so I passed. I see Chuck has a few I need so I will wait for the next sale (which is almost every week) and then pick them up. yay.gifthumbsup2.gif

Sal,

kewl, no prob. any time you're interested in a signed Simonson triumverate from the start of his Thor run, lemme know. it sucks i don't have a COA, but they weren't handing them out at that Con.

Sal,

kewl, no prob. any time you're interested in a signed Simonson triumverate from the start of his Thor run, lemme know. it sucks i don't have a COA, but they weren't handing them out at that Con.

Sure I'm interested. What's a "trimuverate"? confused.gif

Sal,

Sorry Canadian Education. hi.gif

Just remember, ive seen your transcripts, and well, refer back to my sentence above poke2.gif

Sal,

a "triumverate" is an alternate, Nawth Cackalacka variation on "triumvirate," which means troika, or group of three. basically. in this case, 337, 338 and 339.

sorry for the confusion