• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are key comics good investments?

723 posts in this topic

If the hobby is so doomed as some people feel is it not completely selfish to be doing anything other than listing all of your books for sale right now? Why spend time posting on the doomed future while sitting on a collection?

Because you are a COLLECTOR who ENJOYS his comics? hm

I was buying, reading and collecting 70's comics when 99.99999% of them were worth absolutely nothing, and I will continue to appreciate them if they turn out to be worth nothing going forward.

I just like collecting comics, it's my H-O-B-B-Y.

If all you see when you look at your comics is $$$$ then I highly recommend you sell them off now and invest in something income-producing, like blue chip stocks, and stop fooling yourself. It's quite obvious there are dark days coming for funny books, probably in the next 10-20 years.

I agree, it is indeed a hobby. One that I thoroughly enjoy. I have no idea what will happen in the future yet also am not concerned about it. The books I love, are for me to enjoy and if they lose some value it won't phase me because it's not looked at as a retirement fund. It's fun. If I looked at my books as mainly an investment I would most likely be selling them all off after reading this thread lol.

I do enjoy this thread as well. Very informative from all points of views. I appreciate all the very well thought out posts.

New fans will continue to be made not tons that get into collectinf but the appreciation for them will also be there to a degree. They'll never be worthless like sports cards.

I'm sure that's what sports card collectors said too about other hobbies.

This last weekend me and my brother had to stay in a hotel for a few days and we were surprised that the one thing we could settle on watching on TV was Disney cartoons lol. It was spiderman and avengers. They wernt great but still our best choice.

I collect comics but didn't read my first one till 24yrs old. I did however grow up LOVING the 90's xmen, spiderman, and batman cartoons. Kids today don't read comics but they definitely still love Marvel and Batman from cartoons and movies. Disney will always have Marvel cartoons now. New fans will continue to be made not tons that get into collectinf but the appreciation for them will also be there to a degree. They'll never be worthless like sports cards.

Because people these days don't watch sports?

New fans will continue to be made not tons that get into collectinf but the appreciation for them will also be there to a degree. They'll never be worthless like sports cards.

Sports cards were never cool. Especially not to kids. No kid walks around with a babe Ruth t shirt on. Kids don't care about old sports stars. Heck I feel bad when one of the guys from my teams retire cause I mentally move on to the new young guy on the team.

They don't make new cool superheros for some reason. Superheros are known by everyone and it will stay that way for a long time. Disney won't let you forget. They've invested to much. Even if comicbooks Arnt as popular for years to come the hero's in then will be. That puts it miles ahead of sports stuff everyone forgets about

This last weekend me and my brother had to stay in a hotel for a few days and we were surprised that the one thing we could settle on watching on TV was Disney cartoons lol. It was spiderman and avengers. They wernt great but still our best choice.

I collect comics but didn't read my first one till 24yrs old. I did however grow up LOVING the 90's xmen, spiderman, and batman cartoons. Kids today don't read comics but they definitely still love Marvel and Batman from cartoons and movies. Disney will always have Marvel cartoons now. New fans will continue to be made not tons that get into collectinf but the appreciation for them will also be there to a degree. They'll never be worthless like sports cards.

Good point. :)

The funny thing is Disney owns ESPN.

Now with sports cards you probably would have made more money with Tom Brady, Mike Trout and LeBron James rookie cards in the modern era than Walking Dead #1.

Everybody likes to say worthless sports cards, but the sports cards hobby is thriving just like comic books are.

It was the late 80s and 90s sports card junk that is worthless.

You can still make money in sports cards just like comics if you have some knowledge.

Not the games from 50 years ago. Idgaf about johnny U. It's Andrew Luck running the Colts now

Not the games from 50 years ago. Idgaf about johnny U. It's Andrew Luck running the Colts now

Did kids in the 60's 70's and 80's watch sports from 50 years before? It was the collectors who were kids in the 40's 50's and 60's who made sports cards from those years valuable in the 80's and 90's. Much as it's people who read comics in the 60's 70's and 80's who are making comics valuable in the 00's and 10's.

Sports cards were never cool. Especially not to kids. No kid walks around with a babe Ruth t shirt on. Kids don't care about old sports stars. Heck I fell bad when one of the guys from my teams retire cause I mentally move on to the new young guy on the team.

They don't make new cool superheros for some reason. Superheros are known by everyone and it will stay that way for a long time. Disney won't let you forget. They've invested to much. Even if comicbooks Arnt as popular for years to come the hero's in then will be. That puts it miles ahead of sports stuff everyone forgets about

Michael Jordan worldwide is as popular as any super hero.

In fact there is not one comic book that came out since the Jordan rookie card that will come close to the value of the Jordan rookie.

To say sports stuff will be forgotten about is suspect, especially with the NFL pulling the highest ratings on TV this decade consistently.

i think AF15 would be the blue chip here. i bought my copy CGC 5.5 for about $5000 around 2006-2007, i think its now selling for $15000? so 3x return in 8 years. i think if i put my money on AAPL, i would have earned more!

if i put it in other stocks, i dont know. :)

That`s why I brought up the AF#15 vs. buying Disney stock in another post.

AF#15 is considered the blue chip of blue chips in comics, but would fail against Disney stock over the long-term.

If the best blue chip comic can be beaten by a stock like Disney,than that should show that the argument is in favor that stocks are a better long-term bet.

btw no one is saying don`t buy comics, but just make sure you diversify your portfolio.

My point is the sports guys fade. New fans don't really get made. Comicbook hero's have been making new fans every year for 50 years. They may not be exactly comicbook fan but rather fans of the peope in them. That means something. I dono what's gonna happen but I know they will at least be relevant to peole for a very long time. Unlike sports stars.

My point is the sports guys fade. New fans don't really get made. Comicbook hero's have been making new fans every year for 50 years. They may not be exactly comicbook fan but rather fans of the peope in them. That means something. I dono what's gonna happen but I know they will at least be relevant to peole for a very long time. Unlike sports stars.

Most super heroes fade as well do to generational tastes.

I do get that some super heroes have the one advantage over sport stars in that they don`t age or die.

An example is Batman and Spider-Man keep reinventing themselves to new audiences,while Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth are nostalgic memories from their long-ago fans.

The thing is though more people are playing Batman video games, and watching his movies than reading his comics, so I don't know how this will translate into that more millennials will be buying tons of Batman key comics in the future?

Well, personally I can't wait for the apocalypse of comics to come. Thank you all for enlightening me,and thank you all for making our "hobby" look like such a train wreck. Whew, glad you pointed me in the right direction or else I might have gone off the proverbial edge.

Maybe now that you have assesed that we are all are going to go down in flames,maybe I can finally as you say give up collecting comics because they are such bad investments. I actually feel like you guys lifted so much weight off my shoulders, hallelujah! (worship)

:news: I will be having a garage sale,key comics for pennies on the dollar,come on boys and girls from around the globe. You are gonna want to fly out to MY garage sale ;)

Well, personally I can't wait for the apocalypse of comics to come. Thank you all for enlightening me,and thank you all for making our "hobby" look like such a train wreck. Whew, glad you pointed me in the right direction or else I might have gone off the proverbial edge.

Maybe now that you have assesed that we are all are going to go down in flames,maybe I can finally as you say give up collecting comics because they are such bad investments. I actually feel like you guys lifted so much weight off my shoulders, hallelujah! (worship)

:news: I will be having a garage sale,key comics for pennies on the dollar,come on boys and girls from around the globe. You are gonna want to fly out to MY garage sale ;)

You did good you bought your AF#15 at $500. You were wise about your timing, somebody paying $20,000 now for an AF#15 might be better using that $20,000 for Disney stock or buying farmland.

I think that`s the point some of us are trying to make.

:foryou:

Yeah, I'm not saying don't buy comics. That would be hypocritical. I'm saying don't try to fund your retirement with comics. The boom has happened. There won't be another boom like the one we've seen for the last 30 years unless there is some other game changing event. I don't see one on the horizon, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

You missed the point oak.

Investing 101: buy low sell high. Not buy high and try sell higher.

Not everyone is as lucky as you who got an AF15 for $500.

:eyeroll:

No I think I got the point alright.hallelujah! :golfclap:

I really don't care about myself,for me I've been collecting for forty plus years. I really( except for a few books) have every comic I ever wanted or could want. What I feel sad about is some young kid,reading this forum thread,and quitting before he even starts. Dashing all hope for him and every other would be collector. Ironically eventually ending hope for the entire comic book hobby,so you doom and gloom guys have your fun,because the scary part is you might get what you wish for!

A lot of my relatives are still into vintage sportscards, but anything from the past 30-35 years has literally fallen into the garbage bin. A while back I was shown an article in a card mag that outlined the reasons for this:

1) Newer card issues are far too expensive (some are/were $100-$1,000 a pack retail) and most concentrate on artificial-scarcity "limited" variant/auto cards rather than set collectibility.

2) Price, retail location and distribution has driven out all but the more-affluent "adult speculator".

3) Adults priced/forced out (what remained of) the kids in the 90's and turned it into a pure money-making scheme.

Some of these sound familiar?

On yeah one other thing.....

I've been told of comics bubble bursting for forty years,and people telling me that the hobby is dead for forty years......

Ironically funny,no?

On yeah one other thing.....

I've been told of comics bubble bursting for forty years,and people telling me that the hobby is dead for forty years......

You've been hearing this for forty years? Where were you, a mental hospital?