• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best shipping option for CGC shipping from FL to CA

2 posts in this topic

Hi Forum members,

I have been using USPS Register shipping for all my expensive books (insurance up to $25000) and sometimes UPS for inexpensive books (insurance limit $100). Shipping from Florida to California is kind of expensive. I was told by CGC a lot of people use FedEx so I decided to open a business account (8% discount on ground shipping). My question is that I asked the FedEx customer service person and she said the package is insured to $100 unless the package value is declared up front (up to $50,000). Is this correct? Is FedEx is the best option in terms of price (cost) and value (insurance coverage). FedEx said they don't prorate the insurance rate like USPS registered mail.

Thank you for input.

No, you're confusing a couple of things in regards to Fedex.

For regular Fedex shipments, you can declare a value up to just $1,000 for collectibles - even if you put a value of say, $20k, on the Fedex shipment, only $1,000 will be covered.

The exception to this is the "FedEx Declared Value Advantage service" which allows you to declare a value of up to $50,000. This is a contract-based service, however, mostly aimed at jewelry companies that mail high $$ items through Fedex on a very regular basis and isn't available for one-time shipments.

So, a general rule of thumb is that if you need more than $1k worth of coverage for a Fedex shipment, you need 3rd party insurance - like the one that collectinsure.com offers.