• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,684 posts in this topic

The Rainbow Doom????? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

I think DC had some substance experimenting Beatniks writing for them in the 50's

Don't get me wrong Silver. Those are some nice looking books. I'm particularly struck by the colors, but man, some of those covers are just plain silly.

Edited by Jeffro

The Rainbow Doom????? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

I think DC had some substance experimenting Beatniks writing for them in the 50's

Don't get me wrong Silver. Those are some nice looking books. I'm particularly struck by the colors, but man, some of those covers are just plain silly.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif substance experimenting Beatniks 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sm125cgc.jpg

Don't mess around in Smallville...they will send you to the state tomato farm!

adv284.jpg

I have logged on to post a few books, including Adventure Comics #284, to find by coincidence you have posted a copy. I will add mine anyway. The colors on yours are more subtle than mine. I have another copy - I will check the colors on that sometime this week to see if they are brighter or paler..

A few Krypto cover appearances. Adventure #277 was on sale at the same time as the 1960 Olympics were being held in Rome. They had originally been scheduled for Rome in 1908, but were relocated after Vesuvius had erupted in 1906. Anyway, this book has an Olympics storyline.

AdventureComics277a.jpg

Edited by steelcity

I have logged on to post a few books, including Adventure Comics #284, to find by coincidence you have posted a copy. I will add mine anyway. The colors on yours are more subtle than mine. I have another copy - I will check the colors on that sometime this week to see if they are brighter or paler..

I think it may be the difference in scanners. I have noticed that every one of the monitors I use show the scans differently as well.

Steecity, your scans are a little bigger than mine (793 pixels across vesus my 700) but to me they seem a little grainier; are you scanning at 200 dpi?

My yellows definately are more subdued, but the reds and blues seem as bright. I have noticed when we post the same book with a yellow cover, yours is "brighter", but other books seem about the same.

The question we both should have is why DC had yellow outdoor backgrounds...was this during a solar flare-up? It wouldn't have hut Curt Swan to actually draw in a few clouds and color the background blue. sumo.gif

Steecity, your scans are a little bigger than mine (793 pixels across vesus my 700) but to me they seem a little grainier; are you scanning at 200 dpi?

My yellows definately are more subdued, but the reds and blues seem as bright. I have noticed when we post the same book with a yellow cover, yours is "brighter", but other books seem about the same.

The question we both should have is why DC had yellow outdoor backgrounds...was this during a solar flare-up? It wouldn't have hut Curt Swan to actually draw in a few clouds and color the background blue. sumo.gif

The strange variety of background colors can add to the charm and mystery of these DC books, but often do add a bit of "Lucy In The Sky" surrealism. I agree that the Adventure #284 would have looked nicer with blue sky and a few clouds and that it would have not taken much extra effort. In fact, I shall re-color mine!

Concerning scans, I always do two. I scan for myself at 200dpi and keep these on a separate hard drive. for the boards I scan at 96dpi. The colors of both are fairly consistent, but the higher dpi scans are much purer when compared with the 96dpi, the latter ones often looking less high grade than they really are.

The strange variety of background colors can add to the charm and mystery of these DC books, but often do add a bit of "Lucy In The Sky" surrealism. I agree that the Adventure #284 would have looked nicer with blue sky and a few clouds and that it would have not taken much extra effort. In fact, I shall re-color mine!

Concerning scans, I always do two. I scan for myself at 200dpi and keep these on a separate hard drive. for the boards I scan at 96dpi. The colors of both are fairly consistent, but the higher dpi scans are much purer when compared with the 96dpi, the latter ones often looking less high grade than they really are.

I agree your colors look good on your scans, but I would like to see some of your 200 dpi scans, as I think that is why I thought they looked "grainy". Mine are done at 200 and I don't think they are any bigger than yours in size. Your scans are a bit bigger than mine.

I am working on a project to scan every silver/bronze book I have now, starting with the 10 centers....I hope you guys aren't tired of these books yet as I have alot more to scan devil.gif

Instead of using a hard drive to store my scans I upload them to Photobucket. It will be some time before I run out of 5 GB of storage for comic covers.. acclaim.gif