• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,655 posts in this topic

Speaking of funny animal books, was anyone else following Sunday's GA (some were really SA) funny animal auctions from rcsage? They started out a little slow -- I won 4 of the first 25 or so -- then REALLY took off. Some surprisingly high closing prices. Somebody's interested in this stuff, even in gd to fn grades. ...

Christo_pull_hair.gif Don't remind me of that fiasco. I was trying to get the Supermouse # 17 and put in a snipe for about $17. The book ended at over $20 which means that at least 2 other people wanted to pay more than I did for this random book. I thought I was being "aggressive" (please guys don't laugh) and still lost. This was over guide for a funny animal book from the 50s. I thought they were dead box material but I was proven wrong again. What bites is that it's a book I needed for my set.

I noticed the Supermouse closing really high and was puzzled -- I didn't realize that you were one of the bidders. (Same handle on ebay?) Maybe DC bought Supermouse and made him a major player in 52! I have Supermouse #18 bought for WAY under $20 listed with Apr-52 date, and I tend to just put the cover date on two-month books. Are they Feb-Mar and Apr-May? Would #18 work for you?

I was hoping to get at least one of the funny animal-superhero books. If I remember right, Atomic Mouse is powered by eating U-235 (ACK!), but those priced right out of my comfort zone.

Plus on the same night, I lost on a Bill Boyd Western # 11 for which I bid about Guide Fine for a VG copy and also lost. frustrated.gif

#$%^&**(

I saw the Buster Bunny. That's the one with the slingshot for paper delivery, right?

yes

It's almost in my set but I take it as a bi-monthly and since it's the last issue I have it as a Jan / Feb so I am not going after it. In fact, it's quite common. It pops up on eBay regularly.

You dissin' my Buster Bunny!?!?

To keep with the thread, here's a 10 center - Wonder Woman # 52 -

Nice! Your copy? In the date set? Why is Wonder Woman pushing the other woman out of the tree? Because she doesn't have flowers on her sarong?

Jack

another 1952 common

Now that you have a scanner, how about a scan of the splash of your issue? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif (unless you've already posted one and I forgot)

The Adventures of Bob Hope 7 splash page.

1744096-bob7splash.jpg

The Bob story is multi-section with a similar splash on each section. This is Owen Fitzgerald, right?

Here's the splash of the Miss Beverly Hills story.

1744115-bob7bev.jpg

The only MBH credit in Jerry's Who's Who is Oksner -- is this him?

And for a bonus, some other Bob scans that were on my disk.

A splash and sexy Fitzgerald cavegal from #43 (not my copy or scans)

1744115-1956-12-20AdventuresofBobHope43Feb-Mar19572Owen%09Fitzgerald%26LarryNadle.jpg

1744115-1956-12-20AdventuresofBobHope43Feb-Mar19574Time%09travelstory.jpg

And a cruddy scan (hadn't learned to choose the right scanner mode) with lots of Oksner girlies from #72

1744115-Hope72.jpg

Jack

Beautiful copy.

Do you get the feeling that Curt Swan found this a very funny cover? Amusing details: Superman's facial expression, pill-box hats on all the ladies, Jimmy's goofy body language with one flipper draped over the other.

I'm enjoying your display of the cover run. This is another series that I'm trying to collect a run of reader copies, but some of the early issues are just too hard to find (or pricey) in any condition. I'm glad that DC put out a "millennium reprint" of #1. Often I wish that they and Marvel would publish a "Great #2s" series -- the first issues of many titles tend to be reprinted ad nauseum, but seconds are impossible to find in any form.

Jack

Jimmy Olsen 20....Ohio copy with bright colors and blazing white pages cloud9.gif

jo20.jpg

Beautiful copy.

Do you get the feeling that Curt Swan found this a very funny cover? Amusing details: Superman's facial expression, pill-box hats on all the ladies, Jimmy's goofy body language with one flipper draped over the other.

I'm enjoying your display of the cover run. This is another series that I'm trying to collect a run of reader copies, but some of the early issues are just too hard to find (or pricey) in any condition. I'm glad that DC put out a "millennium reprint" of #1. Often I wish that they and Marvel would publish a "Great #2s" series -- the first issues of many titles tend to be reprinted ad nauseum, but seconds are impossible to find in any form.

Jack

Jimmy Olsen 20....Ohio copy with bright colors and blazing white pages cloud9.gif

I was wondering if anyone cared! 27_laughing.gif

Glad you like them....we have a ways to go yet shy.gif

really wish I had a nicer copy of this book, this is one I look to upgrade if I ever see a better copy. So just how many purple large head covers were there in the DC 10 cent silver age? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jo22.jpg

Brent Moeshlin of Qualitycomix.com has a bunch of lower grade early Jimmys in his current auction, including a run from about #2 on up. http://qualitycomix.com/auctions_results.php?auction_id=5&per_page=10&page=12

Beautiful copy.

Jack

jo20.jpg

really wish I had a nicer copy of this book, this is one I look to upgrade if I ever see a better copy. So just how many purple large head covers were there in the DC 10 cent silver age? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jo22.jpg

Okay, I will answer my own question stooges.gif

ll27.jpg

There are more....anyone else?

You know, everyone makes fun of the goofy and campy DC covers. But each one of them makes me want to read the story and find out how the situation on the cover will be explained away. So different from later and modern eye-candy covers that are beautiful to behold but don't actually compel me to buy and read the darn thing just to find out what happened.

You know, everyone makes fun of the goofy and campy DC covers. But each one of them makes me want to read the story and find out how the situation on the cover will be explained away. So different from later and modern eye-candy covers that are beautiful to behold but don't actually compel me to buy and read the darn thing just to find out what happened.

So then I am guessing that you're a regular buyer of the Weekly World News and the National Enquirer, too? poke2.gif