• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"German Edition" Comics. Are They Counterfeit, Reprints, or Variants?

61 posts in this topic

I have seen quite a few "German Edition" comics for sale on eBay and am wondering if they are considered true variants, foreign variants, reprints or counterfeits?

Some of them seem to have been printed around the same time as the original US edition, but others are printed years later.

What is the general view of these German Variants? Do they have any value?

I generally stay away from them because I don't really know what they are.

Thanks.

I consider them foreign reprints - I grew up reading translated versions of the X-Men and ASM in Denmark, so for me they're nothing special; I'd much rather own the "genuine" US article.

I consider them foreign reprints - I grew up reading translated versions of the X-Men and ASM in Denmark, so for me they're nothing special; I'd much rather own the "genuine" US article.

That's precisely the reason I focus on US original copies, despite having fond memories of Marvel UK reprint comics from when I was a kid, back in the 70s. On the boards it seems more common for such books to be treated as variants, however.

That's precisely the reason I focus on US original copies, despite having fond memories of Marvel UK reprint comics from when I was a kid, back in the 70s. On the boards it seems more common for such books to be treated as variants, however.

As well all know, the original "pence variants" are just that, variants of the original printed at the same time. The irony of course is they're valued much less, when the reality is they're much rarer!

Similary with the classic 30 and 35 cent variants (apart from the value bit, which is the opposite!)

The "German Editions" are actually REPLICA editions of the first original German reprints which are extremely rare now.

So.... we have

Price variants

Foreign editions

Replica editions (and there are some of these for USA comics too)

To use Iron Man 55 as an example

Iron Man 55 USA cents

Iron Man 55 UK pence (variant)

Iron Man 55 in MIghty World of Marvel (Marvel UK) (foreign editon)

Iron Man 55 Marvel MIlestone (replica)

Oakman: Though the commonly accepted terminology is changing, these are all legally licensed reprints of the American material in their respective countries, so we can probably safely call them foreign reprints. If they had been published closer to the American publication date, calling them reprints isn't entirely applicable; more like editions.

I have seen quite a few "German Edition" comics for sale on eBay and am wondering if they are considered true variants, foreign variants, reprints or counterfeits?

Some of them seem to have been printed around the same time as the original US edition, but others are printed years later.

What is the general view of these German Variants? Do they have any value?

I generally stay away from them because I don't really know what they are.

Thanks.

REALLY depends which book you're referring to. Some of them are reprints, none are counterfeits, but some are considered the first edition in Germany (and therefore, not a reprint in the American sense).

Oakman: Though the commonly accepted terminology is changing, these are all legally licensed reprints of the American material in their respective countries, so we can probably safely call them foreign reprints. If they had been published closer to the American publication date, calling them reprints isn't entirely applicable; more like editions.

Are they as scarce as I've come to understand?

I don't have print run info handy but no, they didn't make very many of them. :foryou:

I don't have print run info handy but no, they didn't make very many of them. :foryou:

Thanks! Even though we don't talk much together for whatever reason,I still consider you to be one of the foremost authorities on the foreign comic book market.

Even though you're a young buck. :baiting:

Thanks! Even though we don't talk much together for whatever reason,I still consider you to be one of the foremost authorities on the foreign comic book market.

That means a lot to me, Oak! We should fix that not talking much together problem :foryou: And it's official, I've been allowed on these boards for two years. :whee:

That means a lot to me, Oak! We should fix that not talking much together problem :foryou: And it's official, I've been allowed on these boards for two years. :whee:

(thumbs u

For what it is worth, I've yet to come across anyone with a hoard of these books. I asked a board member who was stationed in Germany to look out for an Avengers 1 and while he was able to come up with quite a few of the other books, he didn't locate an Avengers for me.

For what it is worth, I've yet to come across anyone with a hoard of these books. I asked a board member who was stationed in Germany to look out for an Avengers 1 and while he was able to come up with quite a few of the other books, he didn't locate an Avengers for me.

My friend your opinion means a whole lot to me,you are one of the guys that I actually appreciate just about everything you say.

Also for what it is worth, not all foreign printings of comics are merely reprints of the American property. (It's late, let me see if I have this right) GI Joe was reprinted at first as Action Force but there eventually came a point that the comic book series deviated from the American series and developed into its own series containing a storyline, art and even characters that never made it to the American audience. Eventually the US started printing up a Marvel Comics GI Joe Magazine format that reprinted what became known as GI Joe: The European Missions.

Also for what it is worth, not all foreign printings of comics are merely reprints of the American property. (It's late, let me see if I have this right) GI Joe was reprinted at first as Action Force but there eventually came a point that the comic book series deviated from the American series and developed into its own series containing a storyline, art and even characters that never made it to the American audience. Eventually the US started printing up a Marvel Comics GI Joe Magazine format that reprinted what became known as GI Joe: The European Missions.

Along these lines, several of the Star Wars Weekly issues were the first printings of Star Wars material before they were printed in the U.S. In some cases, the material didn't get printed in the U.S. for over a decade.

There appear to be two variants of the Marvel reprints. All the ones I own do not have the Gold Foil on the cover. I've seen claims that only about 100 of the Gold Foil issues were released but have no idea if it is true or even if the Gold foil is an aftermarket gimmick someone came up with.

Yeah, but we're talking about foreign language, not a division of Marvel based in the UK.