• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROMITA stat cover on eBay being sold as original - Warning!

19 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Marvel-Team-up-22-Romita-production-illustration-original-cover-spider-man-/381289777178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c6a4481a

I asked the seller if it was a stat cover. Here is his response:

You are correct. It is a revision cover, mostly stats with re-entry clean-up. The characters are stats from the original artwork. I agree that it is of a lesser value than originally thought when it was first listed. When we first listed it I did not review it very carefully. Sorry that it doesn't fit your needs.

I told him he should change his description since he makes it sound like the original art but it appears as if he's trying to catch someone unaware. Be warned!

Glen

Glad you said something but I would add that this was sold yesterday with a BIN of $14,988 but the buyer backed out of the deal after it was identified as a stat cover. The seller relisting it less than 24 hrs later for $8,888 seems to further emphasize the point.

Best regards,

Will Gabri-El

www.ComicArtPage.com

Good point, Will. I told him that the cover is worth around 500 as a production cover but that's a good deal less than the 8000 plus he's asking for at relist as a staring bid. He knows what he has and what its worth but is intentionally being unclear.

As a newcomer to OA, mind if I ask what a stat cover is? I did a quick google search with no luck...

Photostat.

It's a printed copy of a (separately illustrated) piece of original artwork.

And your editing reasons made me smile! ;)

Photostat. It's a printed copy of a (separately illustrated) piece of original artwork.

It can also be a cover that is composed of separate stat'd images pasted onto a page with usually limited original art work.

Like the cover for ASM 300

Thanks all. Makes sense.

Glad whoever hit the BIN at $15k realised and backed out.

As a newcomer to OA, mind if I ask what a stat cover is? I did a quick google search with no luck...

The full word is photostat. It was done on photographic paper and using a very, very large camera, it would create one copy at a time, enlarging or shrinking an option. Or making a negative. I had a job once where I sat next to this huge camera and used it constantly. At one time, before computers, an indispensable tool in the world of graphic arts.