• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1952 EC Tales of Terror Annual Question

9 posts in this topic

Hi All hi.gif

I just recieved this Tales of Terror Annual 1952 on Saturday and have a couple of questions.

TALESOFTERROR1952.jpg

1) It has some tears in the cover that are "crack" like to me. Some of the tears are completely in the interior of the cover, kind of weird to me. The cover isn't brittle but the inside covers has some slight tanning/browning at edges. Is this common with these annuals? Did they have lower grade paper?

2) The cover edges are really nice, so thinking of the worst I thought maybe it's been trimmed. It measures 7" wide by 9-7/8" tall and I think it would be hard to trim a thick square bound book like this. Could any of you guys post scans of your Tales of Terror Annual 1952 or measurements?

I think it's in the 3.0 range and I paid $250 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks All

Jeff

$250 sounds like a nice price.

My 1953 Weird Sci-Fi Annual also has 128 pgs. Dimensions are 6 7/8 inch wide, 9 15/16 inch tall. juggle.gif

Thanks for the info! This particular annual is made up of Haunt of Fear #6, Crime Suspenstories #7, Weird Fantasy #8, and Haunt of Fear #7.

Jeff

Wow!!! Great book, the EC annuals are sooooo tough to find in nice condition. Took me years to find my Tales of Terror Annual 1

You have a Tales of Terror Annual 1, that super!! I hope some day to find one, let alone in a condition I can afford. That's the holy grail for me, along with a Vault #12 893whatthe.gif

Jeff

Jeff:

The rip on the inside of the cover is due to the manner in which the cover was glued to the bound books. Reading them puts stress on the paper causing the interior tears. It's a common defect on EC annuals.

And, yes, the books are trimmed. When the binder got the remaindered copies they needed to be trimmed in order to bind them. That's why they're a little smaller all the way around.

--Gary