• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with a scan sent by one of the "Big Boys"

31 posts in this topic

Hi guys I just recieved a scan from one of the biggest comic dealers in the world before buying a comic. I totally do not agree with the grade and was wondering if anyone could help me with image hosting so I can let everyone on the board grade it. FYI It is a Tales of Suspense #52. I will not give out the given grade till everyone has had a chance to grade it. If anyone could PM me with an offer for image hosting I would appreciate it. I will send them the scan later tonight and we should all be able to see it tomorrow. The thing about this is it is one of the Big Boys and the grade doesn't even look close. I am truly perplexed. See you all tonight.

Ericc123

I'll buy any early Silver books you have that look like that and you're selling as a 6.0 smile.gif Not to say CGC would give it anything higher than a 6.0 but outside of the spine stress it is a really nice book. It's clean with great color and gloss, and I'm a sucker for eye appeal, sometimes at the expense of structural soundness.

Bottom corners are both quite rounded and that coupled with the color breakng spine stresses would put this book below a VF. Without seeing the back cover I would give it a FN/VF 7.0 at best.

Pretty book regardless of grade - super clean, great color, glossy, with great eye appeal!

The OS grading guide says a VF can have 3-5 spine stresses, and up to a 1/4" non-color breaking cc. The spine stresses and wear at the bottom of the spine are the main defects on this book. It doesn't quite look like a VF, but the front cover looks like a VF- to me, unless there's an actual chip missing from the bottom of the spine, which would put it in the 6.5 range. I think the "corner rounding" of the bottom right corner is just an illusion caused by a shadow from the scanner and the fact that the cover looks like it extends slightly below the pages.

Thank you all for those who posted. I knew there was no way this was the VF/NM Metropolis said it was. I asked them to come down on the price and they said they couldn't because they couldn't replace this high grade an issue lolwink.gif Well anyway for those of you wondering I'd say this is anywhere from 7.5 to 8.0 but definetly not a 9.0

Have a good weekend,

Ericc123

I'm not sure how in the world you guys are grading this a FN. There are only a couple of color breaking creases on the spine and the corners are rounded a bit. That's it. It's a great looking copy with awesome gloss. If there are tiny tears at the top, I'd lower my VF+ grade to a FN/VF, but if they're not tears, I'd stick with a VF+.