• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on buying a collection privately please.

87 posts in this topic

There is another option. You can try and get another buyer involved (that has the necessary cash and knowledge) and try and get a finder's fee. Sounds like you already blew a lot of money and probably can't afford to blow more.

The best advice IMO. When I stared buying records I went with a friend that had more knowledge. Sure he took the best picks for himself, but I gained more from his knowledge than I lost to him. Now when I have knowledge I go by myself . It was a win/win situation for both of us.

1) Take someone with you - friend, brother doesn't matter. If there is something dodgy going on, then it's less likely a potential robber will tackle 2 people.

2) You can use paypal to pay - or all of you go to the local bank and do the cash/comic swap there. I've done both with Zero problems. The seller just wants to be paid.

3) Don't go to a comic shop and do the deal there. Talk about walking into a Lions den with a steak around your neck......!

4) Subscribe to GPA. Do.It.Right.Now. That way you have current slabbed prices at your fingertips and can work out whats a fair price to pay assuming you can do basic ballpark grading.

Lastly , as others have said - count pages, check the book is complete and if possible grab a 'black-light' which will show up most types of Colour Touch.

Go for it!

Keep all the info to yourself and I hope you get a stonkingly great result.

Post in the 'finds' post and let us know how you got on. But as always, only use money you can afford to spend.

Don't borrow, don't skimp on bills or the mortgage - use disposable income.

If you can only afford 3 books - buy the three, keep your mouth shut about where you got the books and go back for the rest when you can afford them.

This is the best, honest, and unselfish info so far.

Thanks.

It's worked well for me,and led to some nice purchases.

To the OP - if you have the time, grab a mate and do a short road trip - at most you have wasted 4 hours - if it's a bogus trip - you still will have learned something.

And you and your mate can have a couple of beers when you get back!

You have absolutely nothing to lose except time and petrol, and you may get lucky.

It's no coincidence that the people that are the 'luckiest' at finding stuff work the hardest at exploring every lead.

Dont know if anyone's ever gotten lucky with a cagey seller who refuses to show pics

Sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing

Although I don't really want to carry this on I feel I should just issue a warning to anyone who worked out which book I'm on about and is now considering purchasing it.... It wasn't hard, and the watch count has risen dramatically!

I believe the seller is a scammer. I have repeatedly asked for photos of this silver age collection he claims to have, to no avail! So I asked him to take a single photo of this Daredevil #1 with his ebay username written on a piece of paper next to it. Suffice to say, he did not! And has actually turned quite nasty. I've reported him.

The ebay item number is - 251988985216

Question him yourself, report him to ebay, don't let some poor soul be ripped off by a scumbag like this!

I thank you all for the great advice here in this thread. I think you've saved me a nice chunk of change! Cheers.