• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie T.V. Laugh-Out #94 Title & Text Stat Replacement Project

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Several months back I purchased this Archie cover with the intention of getting the missing logo and text stats replaced. Published back in April of 1984 with pencils by Dan DeCarlo and inks by Jim DeCarlo, the piece really needed some work.

Archie%20before_zps3g2d18an.jpg

Here's the published cover for reference:

Archie%20T.V.%20Laugh%20Out%2094%20A_zpsxir3ijxh.jpeg

I've been putting in time here and there, but after several hours in photoshop, and some elbow grease, here's the finished piece:

Archie%20After_zpsk0ohlkco.jpg

Matching the color of the paper was probably the hardest part, but the end result was worth it. A much more attractive piece of art. :)

Thanks for looking,

Phill

Enjoyed seeing this, Phil. I agree, this is visually much more appealing.

How many hours did you put into it? And how did you fix your new text to the original?

Thank you!

I put somewhere around 8-10 hours into it. There was some time spent in photoshop learning the application. The scan of the book, even at high res, is only so clear. So the text in the title logo needed to be cleaned up. Even little things like the CCA Stamp - If you look at the published book, the lines in the stamp are blotched from generational use. That had to be redone as well.

The paper is adhered to a piece of thin acetate and acts as an overlay so the art isn't affected.

- P