• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Characters being ruined in modern books

13 posts in this topic

To me it has been a gradual ruining since the early-mid 1990s, more marked with Civil War, where most characters have been basically made "interchangeable".

The worst things I have seen… at Marvel were "Fearless Defenders", all of the mutant titles (for ages), Spider-Man (especially after the spine-chilling "One More Day" and "Sins Past") and the Avengers are no longer there.

Unless we consider 400 randomly assembled teams with no personality the Avengers, that's all.

Oh yes, and Hickman should stop "playing God". It is somewhat dangerous for your health as well.

Too many concepts have a shelf life. Characters get "ruined" when publishers decides they have to keep publishing a book after the well has run dry of interesting things to do with the character (or more precisely, of creators with good ideas of what to do with the character). It's one of the reasons I like Valiant's line. It seems once a writer has accomplished what they intended with their pitches, they don't have a problem with letting a series end and replacing it on the schedule with a different interesting pitch. It keeps the average quality high. Every ongoing in the Valiant Next initiative has been excellent, Everyone should be checking them out, especially Ninjak, Imperium, and Ivar, Timewalker.

To me it has been a gradual ruining since the early-mid 1990s, more marked with Civil War, where most characters have been basically made "interchangeable".

The worst things I have seen… at Marvel were "Fearless Defenders", all of the mutant titles (for ages), Spider-Man (especially after the spine-chilling "One More Day" and "Sins Past") and the Avengers are no longer there.

Unless we consider 400 randomly assembled teams with no personality the Avengers, that's all.

Oh yes, and Hickman should stop "playing God". It is somewhat dangerous for your health as well.

What was wrong with "Fearless Defenders"?

Too many concepts have a shelf life. Characters get "ruined" when publishers decides they have to keep publishing a book after the well has run dry of interesting things to do with the character (or more precisely, of creators with good ideas of what to do with the character). It's one of the reasons I like Valiant's line. It seems once a writer has accomplished what they intended with their pitches, they don't have a problem with letting a series end and replacing it on the schedule with a different interesting pitch. It keeps the average quality high. Every ongoing in the Valiant Next initiative has been excellent, Everyone should be checking them out, especially Ninjak, Imperium, and Ivar, Timewalker.

Truth be told, Valiant stopped those series because they were selling less and less each month. But, good job at spinning that reality. (thumbs u

Truth be told, Valiant stopped those series because they were selling less and less each month. But, good job at spinning that reality. (thumbs u

They wanted to put out 9 books a month and they had 12 titles.

Since they actually publish monthly, what "spin" is involved in saying 12 available, but 9 in print = 3 with time off?

Have you been reading the line? If you have I'd think you'd see that some of those titles were clearly designed with end points in mind. Granted not everything they've published has been perfect, but overall it shows that they're committed to quality first.

Spider-Man (especially after the spine-chilling "One More Day" and "Sins Past") .

:o Sins of the past was the first ASM story arc I bought off the stands after dropping it from my file around #350 or so. I thought it was a great take on why the Goblin went after Gwen, and it featured this classic page. I just wish they had drawn little sweat beads on Norman's/Goblin's forehead. lol

normanosborngwenstacy_zps8303bd10.jpg