• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second most important TMNT Book

13 posts in this topic

I want to pick up a key TMNT book - but may (likely) be priced out of a 1st print TMNT #1. So I am trying to figure out what the consolation prize would be - i.e., the second most important TMNT book - I would think it woul dbe one of the following 4 - but am not entirely sure:

TMNT #1 - Second Print

TMNT #2 - First Print

TMNT #3 - NYC Variant

TMNT - Raphael #1 - 1st print

I would lean towards Raphael #1 - thoughts?

I want to pick up a key TMNT book - but may (likely) be priced out of a 1st print TMNT #1. So I am trying to figure out what the consolation prize would be - i.e., the second most important TMNT book - I would think it woul dbe one of the following 4 - but am not entirely sure:

TMNT #1 - Second Print

TMNT #2 - First Print

TMNT #3 - NYC Variant

TMNT - Raphael #1 - 1st print

I would lean towards Raphael #1 - thoughts?

If you're going strictly by "importance", these would be my thoughts:

TMNT #1 - Second Print - Not important...it's a later printing of an important book.

TMNT #2 - First Print - Pretty important...features first appearance of April O'Neil, Baxter Stockman, & the Mousers

TMNT #3 - NYC Variant - Mildly important...features the first appearance of the Utroms, though the general public has no idea what that means. This particular variant is very cool and there's an interesting story behind it. It's valuable, but not especially "important".

TMNT - Raphael #1 - 1st print - Pretty important...features the first appearance of Casey Jones and develops some better characterization for the turtles.

Keep in mind that "importance" and "value" don't always coincide with TMNT books. My 2c

I agree with Peter. If we are going on "importance" then it has to be TMNT #2 hands down. Introduction of April, Baxtor Stockman, Mousers. Ralph #1 is right up there but just casey.

So I am not alone in thinking the 2nd print of TMNT #1 is not an important book? I just don't see it is a true first appearance since it just a reprint - but somehow it is still a very pricey book (which I find weird) - is it due to the low print run? or large fan base that cannot afford the 1st print?

So I am not alone in thinking the 2nd print of TMNT #1 is not an important book? I just don't see it is a true first appearance since it just a reprint - but somehow it is still a very pricey book (which I find weird) - is it due to the low print run? or large fan base that cannot afford the 1st print?

Yup, you answered your own question correctly. It is a small print run book ~6k copies and large demand from those who are priced out of the first print. I think it is still a bargain for what it is. You get the cover and a still uncommon book for 1/10 of the first print price.I would agree with the above that TMNT #2 first print is probably the second most important. I actual think it is still extremely cheap for what it is. Awesome cover, first April, Baxter and mousers. Still not a huge print run at only ~15k copies.

Raphael #1 is an important one as well, but much higher print run and came out well after #1.

Don't forget, 1st and 2nd print are near identical except for inside cover so that means you throw it in a mylar and it looks like you have a first print :)

I agree with Peter. If we are going on "importance" then it has to be TMNT #2 hands down.

^^

Fair enough. Did CGC make a label change with TMNT #2 - I see some reference the first appearance of April and some do not ....

Also, just to confirm TMNT 1-4 and Raphael #1 were all magazine size and then subsequent TMNT issues went to normal comic book size?

I vote to keep saving for a first print. If that's just not very likely I'd rather have Raphael than the others.

After giving it some thought I am leaning that way as well. Although I would like to have issues #1-4 and Raphael #1 at some point as well (but I guess who wouldn't).