• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your ROI breaking point?

10 posts in this topic

I think a lot of us have "one of a kind" books.

Some of us also have one of a kind books that can never be replicated (i.e. the SSigner is no longer with us).

So with that in mind, what's your breaking point for cashing in on a book you never intended to sell?

I have a lovely Aquaman 35 signed by Nick Cardy. It's a lone SS on the census, so there will only ever be one.

Non-SSed copies in my grade are currently selling for about 10x what I paid for my copy. And I imagine my SS copy would go for a fair bit more...

Now if it came between living on the street and selling the book, Im selling the book, but under regular economic situations Im wondering how much this book would have to be selling for before I break down and "cash in" my chips. I could always find another Nick SS book for a small percentage of the price of my Aqua35

Anyone else find themselves in similar situations?

I get offers time to time for my Moldoff, Giordano, Infantino or Cardy SS books I have posted on Myslabbedcomics.com. Most books are locked away and will never be for sale. For others I typically give a offer price that is 2-5x above GPA for that book

For me the breaking point only involves if I need the money and what I need it for. A few years ago I sold 1 of only 2 in the world Harvey pekar SS books. and later that year sold a spirit signed by will Eisner and frank miller. They were both sold for around 1500.00 each and it was to buy an engagement ring for my wife. My wife is worth more to me than those books but I will never be able to replace them and sometimes I think about those books. So I am very hesitant to sell an irreplaceable book.

I have turned down several offers that I should have taken, purely from an economic standpoint.

The only time that the money got so big that I cashed out was with WD. I sold multiple copies of 1, 2, 4 , 19 and 27. I still have a bunch of other WD books, and I have never regretted liquidating the keys in 2012-13.

For me the breaking point only involves if I need the money and what I need it for. A few years ago I sold 1 of only 2 in the world Harvey pekar SS books. and later that year sold a spirit signed by will Eisner and frank miller. They were both sold for around 1500.00 each and it was to buy an engagement ring for my wife. My wife is worth more to me than those books but I will never be able to replace them and sometimes I think about those books. So I am very hesitant to sell an irreplaceable book.

:ohnoez:

So one does exist! I have always been dismayed at how few Will Eisner CGC SS books are out there and this is the first time I have even heard of an actual Spirit book.

Someday....