• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My scanner stinks

48 posts in this topic

What's wrong with the scanner POV? Technology wins again?

It is harsh in the coloration and moires more than I am used to. Also a lot slower than the Visioneer. I may well be returning it this week but I want to experiemnt a bit more. So far very frustrating.

Oh...you actually tinker with the options! The HP 4400c that I use works well for my purposes with no tinkering so I am happy with it! Good luck and don't get a swelled head because you beat out John Petty! They should have put you up against hammer! shocked.gif

So this was a lie then?

Before you start accusing me of deliberately giving false information to deceive people here...no wait...you just DID accuse me deliberately giving false information to deceive people here.

The two main topics of this thread were XP compatability and the ability to scan 3-d, so the CGC labels can come out sharp enough to read. The scanner passed these tests just fine. The issues I have with moire are because the scanner holds the dot pattern a little too well. The color issues are purely my subjective opinion and having nothing to do with how ther scanner "works". As you can see from some other posts I have presented details on what I have found and will continue to post as I experiment.

Bother someone else with your accusations.

What advantage is there to the $149 HP vs. the $69 HP? I have a Canon that I've been pleased with, but it doesn't scan anything slabbed, and 1200dpi scans of coins look like doo doo. Not sure it's worth $149 to upgrade. Like I said, I like my Canon. But for $69, I may consider it.

tongue.gif

Keep us informed if you get the scanner to work ok. It would be nice to have one that could do 3-d like that. Can a whole cgc book fit on it.....or does a little bit have to be cut off in the scan? I've been thinking about getting a scanner, since I've never had one and don't like the pictures that digital cameras take for auctions.

Keep us informed if you get the scanner to work ok. It would be nice to have one that could do 3-d like that. Can a whole cgc book fit on it.....

No - it is your standard 8 1/2 x 11 bed. So two scans would be needed for the whole book.

Keep us informed if you get the scanner to work ok.

OK - have been doing some fiddling. 100DPI is a nice resolution for most uses - I DID turn on the Descreening and the result is this:

A Nice Effort

The thing is that descreening (descreening helps reduce the effect of the "dots" that make up the image) really worked nicely but it DID slow down the scan time. But using 100DPI sped up the scan time ovwer the default 200DPI.

So now with a bit more experimenting and tweaking I think this is gonna work.

So POV is content with his new purchase at this time? Now, you can initiate your revenge on blazingbob for not putting you against tougher competition! I think that you and hammer would have been the better match! blush.gif

Yep - I am most pleased! And a black cover, too! (yeah yeah - there were a billion of these found in a warehouse but I STILL love it and it is a GREAT Rudy Palais cover!)

I agree......looks like a cool book.....and in very nice shape. Problem is......if you keep showing us books like this......you're going to convince more of us to start buying pre-code horror and give you some competition. shocked.gif

......you're going to convince more of us to start buying pre-code horror and give you some competition

Nah - ANYONE "in the know" knows that pre-code horror is dead. To quote officer Barbrady: "This isn't happening! Nothing to see here!"

Nah - money to be lost. A dying genre

Au contraire....classic covers...gory covers...undervalued...yes...undervalued!

Must buy my first one! Will e-stalk you on eBay! shocked.gif

Au contraire....classic covers...gory covers...undervalued...yes...undervalued!

So what was the last pre-code horror based film you know of? Did Tales From the Crypt 1 & 2 increase those book values? Hmmmm?

Do not buy pre-code horror.