• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My scanner stinks

48 posts in this topic

OK. what with all the auctioning I was planning on doing, I had to buy a new scanner (#%#^^^% Microsoft... freaking XP wouldn't support my old scanner). It's been working great for my raw books, but I got my slabbed books back today, and when I went to scan them. they came out like below.

It's like the book is farther away from the glass than the focusing ability will allow. The slabbed book is also larger than the platen, so the focus starts fine then fades out when I make sure one corner is against the glass. The slabbed books are too large for the scanner.

Most annoying. Thanks for any help.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jpmckay2/asm_300_cgc.jpg

116047-asm_300_cgc_a.jpg.d3e9486e006ad72f5193469a08202125.jpg

I've seen worse scans. grin.gif It's not real bad. Can you sharpen up the contrast a bit with your software? You do need to get the label to the point where you can read it.

I'm ordering a Microtek V6UPL scanner with a legal size bed. That will let me get the whole book in one scan. The scanners run just over a hundred bucks. I debated getting one of the all-in-one Canon or HP Fax/Printer/Copier/Scanners that had a legal size scanner, but they run more like $400 to $500.

I don't know if I would pick the Canon! If they are using the same technology as their thin scanners, you will not get clear scans. HP scanners work well for CGC books without any adjustments of the settings. Don't know how well the all in one types scan but the regular ones work OK! smile.gif

I have the HP scanjet that I basically got free once I used the rebates and sold the printer that was bundled with it... wink.gif

It works fast and the scans come out perfect....

hindmost and Ariamus...I think that if you adjust the resolution and in the scanner software program , your scans may look better...you might also want to try resizing as you don't want to have a tremendous size file that will take forever to load especailly if someone is logged on via dial-up connection...

Yeah, the HP scanners seem to work okay for CGC books, and great for raw books. I have an HP 3500C that I just put a comic in, scan, and use in my auctions (no need to mess with the scan to touch up colors, etc.). Granted...some CGC scans come out a bit dark/soft-fuzzy looking...but if you allow people to supersize the scan, they will be able to see if there are any flaws on your graded/raw books that are a serious turn-off.

I sometimes wish Ebay's picture services allowed you to to create a heritage size scan of your comics, but it has not really hurt my sales. In the future I may be using a website to host my pictures so I can make the scan freakin large.

I just picked up the 3500C this afternoon. Works perfectly and the CGC label is very sharp. They adverside the scanner as capabale of doing 3-d objects, so I tested it.

Attached is a scan of a videotape jacet. It is lying at an angle with on edge on top of a remote control that is 3/4" high. So the VHS case is ranging from flat on the bed to 3/4" above the bed. Note how sharp the lettering is. And this is at very low (75 DPI) resolution. There should be no issue with the fattest CGC cases. At higher reolutions it is much sharper, but this should suffice as an example.

hp 3500c scan test

Nah, POV is famous now because of his pic in the Blazing one's website. He will diss us lowly collectors now. He is up with the big boys. But, his was rigged as he was paired with a weak competitor! crazy.gif

But, his was rigged as he was paired with a weak competitor!

And what would that have been???...that stalagmite desert that he was eating in the original photo... crazy.gif

Have you not looked at the site? He went against portly John Petty from Heritage! Hey, even you would have won! shocked.gifwink.gif