• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEROES 2016!!!!! JUNE 17-19

305 posts in this topic

Here it is Thursday,and I'm still wore out from the show! Was thinking about doing Baltimore but I think I'm going to pass as Heroes was pretty draining and it's going to be tough to rebuild my stock in 2 months. Sold my Superman 10,Superboy 1,Lois Lane 1 and nearly every bronze/copper/modern key that was $50+. Hottest modern was probably X-Men 221..sold atleast 15 copies $20-$40...Pre-Unity Valiants were strong for me...I thought last year was a fluke but there's still interest in 'em!...Graded books were slow for me,and usually are at cons...they do better for me on Ebay...A few books that I had and didn't really have any interest from customers were Batman 181 CGC 7.5...ASM 129 CGC 7.0...FF 52 CBCS 5.0...(2) Raw copies of ASM 300...(3) raw copies of FF 45...all came home with me....I'd say the most requested book that I didn't have was Werewolf by Night #32...sold my only copy on Thursday to a dealer...I had my full booth set up on Thursday afternoon and did the best day of sales for the weekend with dealers that day...Friday/Saturday were almost dead even...Saturday started off really slow and I was wondering if it might not be a good day,but it picked up steam around noon and stayed strong until 4 or so...Sunday was slower but moved my Superboy #1 to a guy at the end of the day that had been looking at it since Friday. Good way to end the show! 10-4 Sunday would be great instead of 11-6. I'm a 5 1/2 drive away and getting home at midnight after a long 3-4 days would be a lot better than 1:30-2am. The guys that came from Florida or up north more than likely had to spring for another hotel night somewhere along the way home. It was my best show ever,and am prepaid for next year already! Great job to everybody involved with the show and it was good to see some familiar faces from these boards. Thanks to everybody that came and spent some money with me as there was definitely competition in that room! My next big show will be at the NC Comiccon in November...until then,stay safe and have a great summer!

Joey, as always you had great prices and great books. As a late silver to bronze collector you always seem to have what i want :) Thanks again for being so nice and kudos to all those helping you as they treated me very well. Looking forward to seeing you at Nc Comicon. Thanks again for the shirt!

My take on this year's con is the same as always - it's a great buying opportunity and a nice opportunity to get some autograph's, but unless you are a vendor, working the con, or an artist / professional, it would be a hard 3 days. There just isn't enough to do for the average collector there for 3 days. For me this has always been a solid one day show and I've been attending this con periodically for most of my life. It's the rare panel that interests me so I have to be upfront about that. Still, if you've never attended you must. This is like the old school hotel conventions in the 1980s on steroids. It's just a great communal feel with a real comic book focus. No crazy lines for exclusive toys, no B-level / C-level Hollywood stars, nothing to distract you from comics. All of the artists seem genuinely happy to be there, sometimes to the detriment of their signing lines as they talk people's ears off.

I did hear a few grumbles about the guest list - I guess there were more cons competing this weekend then usual. The biggest grumble was in regards to internet access, which Sheldon has got to fix. Since the convention floor is under ground level, there is spotty LTE and 4G access so you are sort of dependent on the wifi if you are a vendor. The convention center wanted something like $80 per vendor per day for access. That's just ridiculous and there has to be some common ground. Perhaps have HeroesCon pick up half of that and wrap the other half in the booth fee so it doesn't feel like a ticky tack add-on. I also noticed the much larger space (how could you not) and was a bit blown away by the number of vendors. Because of the number of vendors and the lack of wifi (which impacted credit card use) I ran out of money before getting through half the floor. Guess next year I'll just have to bring more cash. :)

Here it is Thursday,and I'm still wore out from the show! Was thinking about doing Baltimore but I think I'm going to pass as Heroes was pretty draining and it's going to be tough to rebuild my stock in 2 months. Sold my Superman 10,Superboy 1,Lois Lane 1 and nearly every bronze/copper/modern key that was $50+. Hottest modern was probably X-Men 221..sold atleast 15 copies $20-$40...Pre-Unity Valiants were strong for me...I thought last year was a fluke but there's still interest in 'em!...Graded books were slow for me,and usually are at cons...they do better for me on Ebay...A few books that I had and didn't really have any interest from customers were Batman 181 CGC 7.5...ASM 129 CGC 7.0...FF 52 CBCS 5.0...(2) Raw copies of ASM 300...(3) raw copies of FF 45...all came home with me....I'd say the most requested book that I didn't have was Werewolf by Night #32...sold my only copy on Thursday to a dealer...I had my full booth set up on Thursday afternoon and did the best day of sales for the weekend with dealers that day...Friday/Saturday were almost dead even...Saturday started off really slow and I was wondering if it might not be a good day,but it picked up steam around noon and stayed strong until 4 or so...Sunday was slower but moved my Superboy #1 to a guy at the end of the day that had been looking at it since Friday. Good way to end the show! 10-4 Sunday would be great instead of 11-6. I'm a 5 1/2 drive away and getting home at midnight after a long 3-4 days would be a lot better than 1:30-2am. The guys that came from Florida or up north more than likely had to spring for another hotel night somewhere along the way home. It was my best show ever,and am prepaid for next year already! Great job to everybody involved with the show and it was good to see some familiar faces from these boards. Thanks to everybody that came and spent some money with me as there was definitely competition in that room! My next big show will be at the NC Comiccon in November...until then,stay safe and have a great summer!

Made the best deal of the con with you guys on Friday! Can't wait to see what you bring next year!

As an attendee I think this was the best year I've ever had at Heroes. Sunday probably felt a little slow because the crowd for the cosplay contest was pretty large and the stage was set away from the main con floor. I personally thought Sunday was a good day for folks with discount boxes. 50 cent boxes going to 25 cents sped up sales at one dealer I know. Another went from 75 cents to 50 cents and his boxes started emptying too.

There were some dealers (only a couple not a huge number) that seemed disconnected. Their boxes and wall books were overpriced. When you look through a box and see books in similar grade to what you just saw in a dollar box it's hard to give them business.

Kudos to dealers that didn't slam their boxes full of comics. Nothing more irritating than walking up to a box to flip through and not be able to because it's packed tight from end to end.

Made the best deal of the con with you guys on Friday! Can't wait to see what you bring next year!

As an attendee I think this was the best year I've ever had at Heroes. Sunday probably felt a little slow because the crowd for the cosplay contest was pretty large and the stage was set away from the main con floor. I personally thought Sunday was a good day for folks with discount boxes. 50 cent boxes going to 25 cents sped up sales at one dealer I know. Another went from 75 cents to 50 cents and his boxes started emptying too.

There were some dealers (only a couple not a huge number) that seemed disconnected. Their boxes and wall books were overpriced. When you look through a box and see books in similar grade to what you just saw in a dollar box it's hard to give them business.

Kudos to dealers that didn't slam their boxes full of comics. Nothing more irritating than walking up to a box to flip through and not be able to because it's packed tight from end to end.

I definitely want to go back to Heroes as a buyer since there does seem like there are a ton of guys blowing out $5-$8 books in $1s bins which is great to see from a buyers prospective. But from a sellers prospective nothing worse then guys blowing out books for 4x$1 and everyone expecting those type of deals at each booth. Heroes is not a cheap Con to set up at and when you factor in the "cheapness" of the attendees it's a hard sell for me.