• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEROES 2016!!!!! JUNE 17-19

305 posts in this topic

Got back this afternoon. We always stay Sunday night to close the con down and relax a night before leaving. Another great show. Heroes is just the best. Been going since 1997. This is the first time in years I didn't have a game plan for what I was going to buy and it ended up being a Robin and Batman villain weekend.

Got a robin from Dale, snoozed on a Two Face from Gator and missed it, but found a 1st Catwoman cover I had been looking for and an unbelievable price on a 2nd Riddler app.

Also did my first Signature Series with Robin Mini #1 and Tom Lyle.

Prices were all over the place when I was looking for 1st Nightwing, I went to a dozen booths and every booth price was different. A friend told me he overheard some toy dealers complaining about lack of sales, but they also said this is not a toy con (true)

The extra space was much appreciated this year. Never felt cramped, even on Saturday (well maybe the CW booth lol )

Staying at the Westin was great as usual, no complaints there. And the food. Ate so much great food this weekend. Ready for next year!

Anyway here are some pics!

Haul:

IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0724.jpg

Cosplay with the wife:

IMAG0545.jpg

Wife again:

IMAG0691.jpg

And me with Tom Lyle:

IMAG0574.jpg

Had a blast this year! I think this year Heroes went by faster than any year I can remember.

Bought some keys this year:

NM 98 and IF 14 from Comic Kings

Hawkman 1 and Swamp Thing 1 from Tomorrow's Treasures

Picked up lots of filler books for my copper age ASM, Batman, and Spawn runs. Deals were everywhere! Picked up a nice run of Weird Westerns from a dealer for $1 a piece.

Hitting the floor one last time this morning. Wife wants to watch the cosplay contest at 1.

I know one book you didn't pick up!

lol

You setting up in Fayetteville in October?

Had a blast this year! I think this year Heroes went by faster than any year I can remember.

Bought some keys this year:

NM 98 and IF 14 from Comic Kings

Hawkman 1 and Swamp Thing 1 from Tomorrow's Treasures

Picked up lots of filler books for my copper age ASM, Batman, and Spawn runs. Deals were everywhere! Picked up a nice run of Weird Westerns from a dealer for $1 a piece.

Hitting the floor one last time this morning. Wife wants to watch the cosplay contest at 1.

I know one book you didn't pick up!

lol

You setting up in Fayetteville in October?

That's football season so.................NOPE!

Quick Con Report:

- Not as much buying for me as in year's past, and I had to work a lot harder then normal with a ton of box diving. In part, dealers that I had purchased material from in the past had priced their material a lot higher. Also, there was a lot of buying competition in the room, plus there was just a general lack of "new" material (i.e, new collections) relative to Heroes Con's past. All of that combined for a below average buying show for me, which for Heroes, is very unusual.

- One guy even told me he was pricing all of his raw stuff at certified prices, you know, without the assurance of a resto check or guarantee of the grade. He had some nice stuff, but I wasn't bothering with any of it.

- I was witness to a couple of dealer "buy-outs", but judging by the prices paid, I knew I wouldn't have been a player for any of it. I just felt both prices were pretty strong, with not enough margin to justify it from my perspective.

- Still felt I did "okay" with what I bought, but nothing major. Most of the dealers I spoke with echoed my thoughts...many of us also spoke about a clear saturation of buyers (and by buyers, I mean resellers, not collectors), not only in the show, but also in the market in general. Everyone and their mother wants to, or already has, opened a comic shop. Clearly, there are echoes of 1994 in many of those observations, and for those of us who lived through it before, we know the story takes a decidedly nasty turn at some point.

At this point, I have 300 books to submit from the last two shows. Most will not be going to CGC because of the new case (of which I saw a few at Heroes, and yes, the problems continue). TBCC is the only other big show on my schedule before Chicago, but that's a month and a half away, and it's rarely a strong buying show in any event. Time to refill the war-chest and consolidate the purchases before a Chicago show that will hopefully yield some better results.

I would have to mirror this as I spent less this year than any other year at this show. Good thing is it leaves more for Chicago.

Glad everyone got to see me. Although it likely wasn't at my booth as I let the girlfriend run it while I did my normal warrior style buying. I sold tons of stuff way too cheap, and nothing was in order. I bought 3 short boxes worth of stuff and sold 12. Prices at the art auction were pure lunacy, but I did "win" a Bagley Hulk double splash. I also ended up buying 3 OA covers that I'm really happy with. Met a few boardies for the 1st time ( Inapickle and Green). That was cool. I'm actually still here. I guess I'll head back to ATL tomorrow, but I must say that this weekend was a win.

Bought a bunch of afterlife with Archie books and some underground comix, picked up a few Moebius books from a new favorite dealer,

Would that be Jason Hamlin out of Virginia? Awesome dude!

Yep, great dude and a crazy selection of underground stuff and incredible art books. He had a Moebius book with a sketch I had my eye on but I still had the art auction ahead of me. Went back Sunday morning to get it, already sold!

I still got some amazing stuff, can't complain :D

I echo the sentiments of the auction prices being bananas. Some things I thought were great deals but other stuff....some of it just went way too high. Towards the end, one dude was just buying everything. Thankfully he bailed before the last piece I wanted came up. :banana:

This year was my first year back in almost four years and it got cut short because my wife, who was visiting her mother in Knoxville, had to go to the emergency room on Saturday morning. (She's going to be fine thanks for asking :) )

On the day and a half I was there I didn't buy a single comic. I went through several boxes and saw several things I would like to have, sure, but nothing I just HAD to have. I had set up a few commissions prior to the show with a few artists and set up a few more on Friday that I managed to get picked up before I left on Saturday, and thanks to the awesome crew at CGC and especially Darrell and Jay for helping me get a few SS books on Saturday before I ran out the door. My original plan had been to get all the business set up on Friday, cleared on Saturday, and shop on Sunday. Maybe next time.....

Quick Con Report:

- Not as much buying for me as in year's past, and I had to work a lot harder then normal with a ton of box diving. In part, dealers that I had purchased material from in the past had priced their material a lot higher. Also, there was a lot of buying competition in the room, plus there was just a general lack of "new" material (i.e, new collections) relative to Heroes Con's past. All of that combined for a below average buying show for me, which for Heroes, is very unusual.

- One guy even told me he was pricing all of his raw stuff at certified prices, you know, without the assurance of a resto check or guarantee of the grade. He had some nice stuff, but I wasn't bothering with any of it.

- I was witness to a couple of dealer "buy-outs", but judging by the prices paid, I knew I wouldn't have been a player for any of it. I just felt both prices were pretty strong, with not enough margin to justify it from my perspective.

- Still felt I did "okay" with what I bought, but nothing major. Most of the dealers I spoke with echoed my thoughts...many of us also spoke about a clear saturation of buyers (and by buyers, I mean resellers, not collectors), not only in the show, but also in the market in general. Everyone and their mother wants to, or already has, opened a comic shop. Clearly, there are echoes of 1994 in many of those observations, and for those of us who lived through it before, we know the story takes a decidedly nasty turn at some point.

At this point, I have 300 books to submit from the last two shows. Most will not be going to CGC because of the new case (of which I saw a few at Heroes, and yes, the problems continue). TBCC is the only other big show on my schedule before Chicago, but that's a month and a half away, and it's rarely a strong buying show in any event. Time to refill the war-chest and consolidate the purchases before a Chicago show that will hopefully yield some better results.

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Con Report:

I would have to mirror this as I spent less this year than any other year at this show. Good thing is it leaves more for Chicago.

I've found that buying at every show has just been more competitive as people fight for the same things. Each show has less new material and prices are often jacked as nobody wants to leave anything on the table.

I've been buying a lot less at shows, but not for lack of trying.

Glad your wife is ok. I bet that was a hard thing to hear over the phone. I didn't see you! Big room though and a very busy show. Make sure and stop by my booth next year. I very creatively had "Elijah Snow" as my booth name, so you can't miss it. :)

This year was my first year back in almost four years and it got cut short because my wife, who was visiting her mother in Knoxville, had to go to the emergency room on Saturday morning. (She's going to be fine thanks for asking :) )

On the day and a half I was there I didn't buy a single comic. I went through several boxes and saw several things I would like to have, sure, but nothing I just HAD to have. I had set up a few commissions prior to the show with a few artists and set up a few more on Friday that I managed to get picked up before I left on Saturday, and thanks to the awesome crew at CGC and especially Darrell and Jay for helping me get a few SS books on Saturday before I ran out the door. My original plan had been to get all the business set up on Friday, cleared on Saturday, and shop on Sunday. Maybe next time.....

Definitely agree, Roy. I'm sometimes glad that I do the art thing too, as there's a bunch of guys going for the good comic stuff. Without that, a lot of my buying shows would have been disastrous.

Quick Con Report:

I've found that buying at every show has just been more competitive as people fight for the same things. Each show has less new material and prices are often jacked as nobody wants to leave anything on the table.

I've been buying a lot less at shows, but not for lack of trying.

A not-so-good review of the show. I totally disagree with this. :sumo:

link https://nerdnationmagazine.com/2016/06/21/convention-report-heroescon-2016-charlotte-nc/

Wow, the guy who wrote that really didn't put much effort into finding things at heroes con. Seems to me like he wanted to see B list movie stars and be catered to all day. Heroes is one of the best pure comic book conventions in the country.

link https://nerdnationmagazine.com/2016/06/21/convention-report-heroescon-2016-charlotte-nc/

What con did this dude go to?

One, packed with thousands upon thousands of people? When? Saturday was busy but seriously way less crowded than SDCC or NYCC. This guy, and the people who are seemingly agreeing with him in the comments, would have panic attacks at the other two shows. I don't remember not being able to move, it was busy but not insane.

Second, nothing to do? Really? I went to some amazing panels and had a great time at the art auction and drink and draw night. The drink and draw night was a little hectic, we arrived a little late and there was a lot of people there, but totally a great time.

It's sad that a "con" to most people now is judged on whether they have gaming tables, cosplay, or movie premieres.

Haters gonna hate, I'm still going back next year.

I over heard a group of cosplayers complaining they had to wait in line Friday morning to pick up their advance passes, saying this convention is " completely unorganized". This year was way more organized than other years. I hate people sometimes.

I over heard a group of cosplayers complaining they had to wait in line Friday morning to pick up their advance passes, saying this convention is " completely unorganized". This year was way more organized than other years. I hate people sometimes.

It took me all of 3 minutes on Friday to pick up my advance purchase pass. And a minute of that time was spent walking through empty switchbacks to get to the front of the line. Granted my flight landed at 8AM and I picked it up around 10 or so....

This was by far the most well organized con I've been to in the past few years.

Wow, the guy who wrote that really didn't put much effort into finding things at heroes con. Seems to me like he wanted to see B list movie stars and be catered to all day. Heroes is one of the best pure comic book conventions in the country.

I think that you hit the nail on the head; he went to Heroes with the expectation of it being more like a Wizard World show or SDCC which is more about the multimedia presentation then the comic books. He was looking to see the B list stars and wanted to go to panels about TV shows and upcoming films.

Since Heroes is mostly a pure comic book convention; he came away disappointed since that is not what he was expecting. What makes Heroes a great show is the fact that it is still a pure comic book convention to where you can find books from the Golden Age to Modern and from low to high grade.

If it was more like a Wizard World show then I doubt that I would be attending.

Psy

Yeah, he had an agenda, or was clearly clueless as to what makes Heroes special. Or Both.

I also disagree with the article....definitely seems to have some agenda or just doesn't understand what a true comic convention is like.....

That being said a nice picture of our booth front and center....lol

And I was actually there instead of out and about :insane: