• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think CGC should slab original art

24 posts in this topic

great. now in order for us to be able to sell the original art we purchased CGC has to certify (at a cost of what? $100? $200? that's going to be a HUGE slab!!!) that it is, in fact, original art. those of us with art that is maybe not so easy in this regard (some 40s stuff has no indication on the back where it's from, some smaller publishers as well) will now have unsellable stuff.

somehow the rest of the art world doesn't need this service. granted, most of that is sold through auction houses which, as part of their 15-20% premium, make an attempt at authentication.

The main draw would be authentication, not grading.

Is there an existing problem with counterfeit original comic art that warrants the development and use of such a service?

How would a company "authenticate" original art, especially if it's art from 40 years ago that has been circulating for years? What, carbon dating? 27_laughing.gif

If a buyer is such a insufficiently_thoughtful_person that they can't spot a fake piece of Kirby FF art then they should NOT be buying it in the first place.

I think you guys are absolutely right. I didn't think through the shipping and slabbing costs, and the grading would devalue the work to some. Still, for people who want preservation instead of display, I wonder if there's a service that can be offered other than framing. Just to keep all the word balloons in place and keep the paper from yellowing. Stuff like that.

Authentication could be tough, but may be important to some folks. Obviously bad forgeries would be easy to spot, but if they can do it with paintings and animation cells then they could also do it with comic art.