• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What about submitting books to CGC at Cons?

13 posts in this topic

Folks,

What do you think about submitting directly to CGC at a Con? The Wizard Con in Long Beach is in drivable distance for me in March, and I have a number of ASMs I want graded. Any thoughts? I would think the savings on shipping would be a good deal. Also, there would be reduced chance of damage in the mail. Of course, I'm not sure how CGC gets them from the Con to Florida...

Also, I have a bunch of CGC books but I have never submitted any. Should I join the collectors club for the free submissions?

Thanks!

V/R,

Mike

P.S. Yes, I posted this in the grading folder as well...

Damn you multiple forum posters. frustrated.gif

It makes a huge amount of sense to submit at a con rather than shipping them your books. CGC accepts submission like at WWLA in Long Beach. They package them up and Fedex them to Sarasota for grading.

This year CGC will also be having on-site grading in Long Beach, so you can get your books back even faster, of course the fee is higher for that.

I would join the CS just to get the 3 express subs unless you have 3 books that would value over at least $1000. The standard tier is only $29 a book, so you wouldn't save any money unless you exceeded that amount. The next higher tier for books over $1000 in value is $49.

Unless you plan on joining the CS anyway, then the coupons are just a bonus.

Folks,

What do you think about submitting directly to CGC at a Con? The Wizard Con in Long Beach is in drivable distance for me in March, and I have a number of ASMs I want graded. Any thoughts? I would think the savings on shipping would be a good deal. Also, there would be reduced chance of damage in the mail. Of course, I'm not sure how CGC gets them from the Con to Florida...

Also, I have a bunch of CGC books but I have never submitted any. Should I join the collectors club for the free submissions?

Thanks!

V/R,

Mike

P.S. Yes, I posted this in the grading folder as well...

Yes, join the CS if the books you want to get graded are worth $250+ (deathlok incorrectly states the cutoffs for the different tiers, if your book is worth over $250 you have to go standard, which is $49 a book).

Unless there's on-site grading, you only really save on the "shipping to" CGC part, which for raw books isn't that much. If you're already going, go for it, if not, decide if it's worth your time to save the $10-15 it would cost you to send them to Sarasota yourself. You still have to pay for the return shipping either way.

banner is correct, it was late at night when I posted that. sorry.gif
Another excuse by Rick! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
893naughty-thumb.gif I'm gonna have to talk to your supervisor about how much time you spend on the boards.
893applaud-thumb.gif

Dr Banner and all,

What about the discount I can get from Heritage or others of 20%? Does CGC honor such discounts at a con?

V/R,

Mike

Yes, if you prefill out the forms and bring it when you drop off the books. The discounts do not apply for any onsite grading though.

Dr Banner and all,

What about the discount I can get from Heritage or others of 20%? Does CGC honor such discounts at a con?

V/R,

Mike

Yes, if you prefill out the forms and bring it when you drop off the books. The discounts do not apply for any onsite grading though.
893scratchchin-thumb.gif