• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BM 121: Detached Cover -- Attach Or Leave?

5 posts in this topic

I know people want pictures in this thread but I don't have the comic in hand; I'm still debating whether to purchase or not from the seller. I am pretty sure the cover is not attached (since it's not my comic I didn't pull too much to see what would happen).

The comic has missing pieces along the spine, similar to the last picture on this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-121-Feb-1959-DC-1st-Appearance-Mr-Freeze-Super-KEY-Issue-RARE-/251904393135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa6abffaf&nma=true&si=R2x7wO3BXfCsVMruOUG%252FXlIZWqw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The rest of the comic, however, looks much better than the one pictured.

If I buy it I'd immediately get it slabbed so it doesn't get worse.

1. What is the highest grade a detached comic can get (apart from the detached cover it looks 4.0-5.0)?

2. Would adding tape to make sure the comic stays together be sacrilege or a savior in this case?

Thanks.

Dont tape it up. CGC will grade it taking account of the tape. If the tape is holding it together they essentially grade it like a detached cover (they changed this a while back to stop encouraging people to do what you suggested).

Not sure of grade.

Yeah I know CGC changed their stance on tape and detached covers some time ago. I wouldn't add the tape to get around the system but to make sure it stays together (either in the slab or while getting graded, etc.).

If the spine is as rough as the one you linked to, it's not a 4.0 even with an attached cover. As has been mentioned, you'll get no grade bump from attaching the cover with tape, though it does seem you still might if you used glue, but then you'd get a conserved or restored label depending on the type of glue.

Without seeing it, it's hard to say, but depending on just how much nicer the rest of the book is, with pieces out of the spine and a detached cover somewhere from a 1.8 to 2.5 is my guess for unrestored grade. The copy you linked to is about a 1.0

Wasnt trying to suggest you were gaming the system, just a note in case other people are searching threads ;)

If you are worried about loose pages I dont think that should be an issue. I see slabs with "Cover Detached" all the time. I dont think the cover will slide much while in the case.

As an example, a quick ebay search and this is has a cover detached with a CGC 3.0 (possible GA bump).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batman-1940-20-CGC-3-0-0243455014-/131535337740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea01df90c