• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Namor the Sub-Mariner

12 posts in this topic

I have been reading John Byrne's Namor title from the early 90's and am loving it! I am on issue #21, the search for Iron Fist. I think his art and writing in this series is top notch. I feel he was definitely on his game drawing this title. Growing up I never had much of a interest in Namor so this is all fresh and new to me.

Did any of you read this when it first came out? Did you enjoy it? Was it considered a "hot" title back then? I remember seeing it on the shelf at my local comic shop in '91 but just skipped on over it. At that time I was buying just about every number one that came out from Marvel but didn't pick Namor up for some reason......

Reading Namor has got me thinking about, remembering Byrne's Next Men series. Which I never read either. I might have to check that out as well? Is it any good?

Anyway, let me know what you think of Namor. I was planning on only reading up to #25 when Byrne leaves the title....well art anyway. But I might continue.

I'm a fan of the Next Men run. So I'd recommend it. It is quintessential Byrne IMO.

A few notes on collecting the run:

Collecting the floppies isn't bad (You can get them retail for ~$1.50 ea.) except that #21 is the first all color appearance of Hellboy and can cost some money. A beat-up reader copy of just #21 will occasionally sell for $40 on ebay.

Sometimes the dark horse runs appear as a set (minus #21) for about $50.

The full series is actually split unevenly between Dark Horse (issues 0-30) and IDW (issues 31 to 44). The IDW run is a continuation with 9 issues and starts with (3)1 and ends the full story arc at (3)9. Then there is a sequel "Aftermath" of issues 40 to 44.

TPBs:

The collected volumes are pricey, and if you start buying those (There are 6 from the first series from Dark Horse) You'll probably wind-up spending about the same as buying all 30 of the flops including the premium you'll pay on #21.

Be wary that the IDW produced TPB volumes of the original Dark Horse series (0-30) a couple of times. You might wind-up buying the same story arc twice if you're not paying attention. The "Compleat" Volumes are just black & white. The "Premiere" volumes are color but hard volumes and $$$.

I actually have a full set of 0-30 I'd be willing to part with if you want to PM me we can discuss it.

-Terry

I did not like the Next Men much, but I read Namor when it came out, and it was interesting (at least at the beginning). A similar approach was taken later on by Faust writer when he took over Dr. Strange (a corporate setting, with the leading character at the helm of a business enterprise).

Said this, it is a Copper title, not modern. :)

I did not like the Next Men much, but I read Namor when it came out, and it was interesting (at least at the beginning). A similar approach was taken later on by Faust writer when he took over Dr. Strange (a corporate setting, with the leading character at the helm of a business enterprise).

Said this, it is a Copper title, not modern. :)

Oop's, I knew this is a cooper age comic, I wasn't thinking when I posted it here in modern.

How do I get it moved or does it not matter too much?

You are going to hate Namor when you get to Jae Lee trust me I stopped at that point.

I have up too late 50's but was planning to stop after the Byrne issues but was undecided. After hearing from a few of you I think I will for sure. I bought a big run for cheap off of ebay last year and just started reading them. I was going through a big Byrne kick trying to read all his Marvel work.

Not sure about his She-Hulk run? I haven't gotten to that one. My brother collected it when it came out and I read a few back then but couldn't get into how she talked to the reader. Maybe it wouldn't bother me now.

I'm a fan of the Next Men run. So I'd recommend it. It is quintessential Byrne IMO.

A few notes on collecting the run:

Collecting the floppies isn't bad (You can get them retail for ~$1.50 ea.) except that #21 is the first all color appearance of Hellboy and can cost some money. A beat-up reader copy of just #21 will occasionally sell for $40 on ebay.

Sometimes the dark horse runs appear as a set (minus #21) for about $50.

The full series is actually split unevenly between Dark Horse (issues 0-30) and IDW (issues 31 to 44). The IDW run is a continuation with 9 issues and starts with (3)1 and ends the full story arc at (3)9. Then there is a sequel "Aftermath" of issues 40 to 44.

TPBs:

The collected volumes are pricey, and if you start buying those (There are 6 from the first series from Dark Horse) You'll probably wind-up spending about the same as buying all 30 of the flops including the premium you'll pay on #21.

Be wary that the IDW produced TPB volumes of the original Dark Horse series (0-30) a couple of times. You might wind-up buying the same story arc twice if you're not paying attention. The "Compleat" Volumes are just black & white. The "Premiere" volumes are color but hard volumes and $$$.

I actually have a full set of 0-30 I'd be willing to part with if you want to PM me we can discuss it.

-Terry

Hi Terry, I may be interested in your run of Next Men depending on the price. However, I have my money tied up in a few other purchases at the moment along with my anniversary and wife's birthday coming July 7th. If you still have them mid to late July I'd love to talk. Let me know and we can discuss things then if your not trying to move them right away. Thanks!

Well I finshed Namor up to #25 last night and grabbed my copy of #26 and flipped through it.....it looks horrible I am sorry to say. The cover was very bad as well. "The Savage Namor!" I decided to move on to something different.

Thanks to Terry I will be checking out The Next Men soon, I also picked up a tpb of Byrne's She-Hulk on ebay last night for $11. It contains issues #1-8.