• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the last book you regret not buying?

45 posts in this topic

A NM Bone # 1 for $50 at a con in Philly back in 1995.

I opted to spend $45 for a sweet NM All-Star Western # 10 instead. Told my buddy to buy the Bone -- he didn't because he'd never heard of it.

Sure, there are other books I wish I'd bought back in 1995, but that was the only one I remember where I was literally torn for an hour over how to spend $50:

Bone # 1 (NM)

I, Lusiphur # 1 (NM)

All-Star Western # 10 (9.0/9.2)

At least I didn't get the I Lusiphur, as that book stagnated shortly after Drew's death. It can be had for ~$100/$150 today.

Still, All-Star Western 10 is a great book. I wouldn't call that purchase a misjudgement. :)

I have few regrets of not buying stuff. i just figure another copy will show up sooner or later. Likely my only sort of regret was I bought a Hulk 3.5 from Gator like 5 years ago he had a 5.5 as well. Intially I only wanted to spend enough to get the 3.5 copy on time pay. During paying it off I decided I would try and get the 5.5 and man up. I tried to move up to the 5.5 but we could not make a deal. In the end i sold the 3.5 at almost 3x my original cost. If I had the 5.5 would have been 10 to15k profit. :makepoint:

Easy, Deathzone 1 and Copra 1. I was at a store that had multiple copies of each out on the rack for $5 each and I decided to limit myself to one copy of Deathzone 1. Mind you, at the time he was totally unknown. I figured I would spend the $5 to help a local guy out and because the low print run (400? 300? i forget) sounded cool. I'm glad I stuck it in a box after looking at it and didn't stick it up here shortly thereafter for $10 because at least I aged it into a $200 or so book. Had I waited a little longer I guess it would have been a $400+ book.

You win some you lose some! Who knows, if I had bought 20 copies of each maybe Copra never would have taken off as that would have been 20 fewer readers on a very limited edition book that was only sold in a few (or maybe just one) places? Although I doubt it.

I really wish I bought ST 110/115 a few years ago instead of putting it off :sorry:

i was in a mad rush to sell my 3.5-4.0 copy here for $180 a few years ago. pure genius.

Every $500 - $600 Amazing Fantasy 15 I saw at nearly every big New York show I attended back in the early/mid 1990s.

i think that too, but then i figure a lot of them had some sort of resto done to them. then again, even with a tear seal or some CT you'd still probably make a lot on them

2 years ago, before the blowup of Batman Adventures 12, I was debating between two books:

BA 12 CGC 9.8 (first app. Harley Quinn) $350

vs

Vengeance of Bane 1 CGC 9.8 (first app. Bane) $250-ish

But because the Batman movie with bane as the main villain had just come out, I decided to pull the trigger on that before it exploded (also thinking, "this BA 12 will be here later... it's a modern age book, yadda yadda).

Well, I kinda put BA 12 on the back burner for a while as I continued buying other books on my want list, until one day I revisited it... found out a year after deciding on the Bane book that the BA 12 was being snagged for $800+ a pop... :cry:

I couldn't afford that and was still quite bitter that I could have had it a year earlier for $500 less, so ended up buying BA 12 CGC 9.6 for $335 as a consolation... :facepalm:

Does anybody really buy this book for any other reason other than flipping? It's a crappy kiddie book for gosh sakes...

Same would apply to Action #1

2 years ago, before the blowup of Batman Adventures 12, I was debating between two books:

vs

But because the Batman movie with bane as the main villain had just come out, I decided to pull the trigger on that before it exploded (also thinking, "this BA 12 will be here later... it's a modern age book, yadda yadda).

Well, I kinda put BA 12 on the back burner for a while as I continued buying other books on my want list, until one day I revisited it... found out a year after deciding on the Bane book that the BA 12 was being snagged for $800+ a pop... :cry:

I couldn't afford that and was still quite bitter that I could have had it a year earlier for $500 less, so ended up buying BA 12 CGC 9.6 for $335 as a consolation... :facepalm:

Does anybody really buy this book for any other reason other than flipping? It's a crappy kiddie book for gosh sakes...

BA12 is for flipping whereas action 1 is like owning a piece of pop culture history. Not a good comparison.

This copy of GW 122. I was online watching the auction when it finished. I had a max bid of $500ish but changed my mind at the last minute because I thought I would wait for a nicer copy to surface. Going on three years later and have not had the opportunity to buy a nicer copy.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/ghostly-weird-stories-122-star-publications-1954-condition-vg-/a/121237-14240.s

Recently for me, an Action 252 graded 1.8 for $400. Went back the next day to get it and it was gone. Haven't seen one that cheap since.

Back in the early 90s, passing on a Hulk 181. Actually I wish I would have bought more SA and BA stuff back then, just wasn't into it at the time.

vs

BA12 is for flipping whereas action 1 is like owning a piece of pop culture history. Not a good comparison.

hm

All comics were called kiddie books at one point by someone

BA 12 is still the first appearance of a significant Batman villain. Is it unfortunate that she appears in a kid comic vs. Batman or Detective Comics? perhaps.... yes.

This copy of GW 122. I was online watching the auction when it finished. I had a max bid of $500ish but changed my mind at the last minute because I thought I would wait for a nicer copy to surface. Going on three years later and have not had the opportunity to buy a nicer copy.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/ghostly-weird-stories-122-star-publications-1954-condition-vg-/a/121237-14240.s

Never comes up in decent shape nowadays!

Never comes up in decent shape nowadays!

Never ever!!! :pullhair:

Hulk 1 in raw 6.0, somewhere around 1994. I think the asking price was like $1100.

AF 15 raw 4.5-2 different copies, around the same time period, from Metropolis. They sent me color Xerox copies of the front and back covers. Had the phone in hand to order and backed out. I think they were @$1400-1600.