• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Marshall Law / Don Newton or Tim Sale Batmans

4 posts in this topic

If you have any of the following, this is my OA want list!

Marshall Law splash page [top dollar! looking for a great example by Kevin O'Neill]

Batman or Detective splash pages by Don Newton (the hunt never ends...)

Tim Sale Batman books (Long Halloween, Dark Victory, but also LotDK or [gulp] Showcase '94)

Wish list:

And if you happen to be sitting on any of the following:

a) Zach Howard's work on The Cape or Wild Blue Yonder,

b) any Locke & Key art by Gabriel Rodriguez,

c) any pages from Y: The Last Man #1, or

d) a standout page from Batman: Son of the Demon (Jerry Bingham)

send a PM for an almost immediate response which will only be slowed down by the god-forsaken electrons that won't get out of the way of my message.

Happy hunting!

Bob

Sideshow,

To ease your mind, Batman/Detective Splash pages from Don Newton do exist.

I own the first page splash from Tec 480.

Bought it 35 years ago out of a weekly comics publication, more like a newspaper.

Only splash page I own...

Why the love for Don Newton????

Re: Don Newton

One time, I asked a currently working comic artist who he thought the best Batman artist was. He surprised me with Don Newton, and asked me if I knew him. While I knew who he was, and that he had died early than anyone should, and that he had done a ton of art in the late 300s range of Batman which was in my specialty, that was about it.

I pried, and the artist said that if I could get past the visuals imparted by the various inkers who had done Don's pencils, and get to the basics, that I'd be surprised with what I found. Innovative camera perspectives, challenging layouts, unnecessary fabric folds, mood-setting close-ups, imaginative settings...once I got past the inkers, I'd find some pretty amazing stuff.

As I matured as a OA collector, it got more and more interesting for me to study the artist. Others fret over Miller Daredevil, or Smith Conans, but I'm happy with just me and couple others in my little Newton Bats corner. Its also been a really neat opportunity to appreciate and loathe various inkers, once you really get a sense of their capacity to accentuate or obliterate the penciller's vision.

While acknowledging that Don Newton is no Neal Adams, and doesn't even rank super high on the Bats artists list, its right around my peak nostalgia period and I genuinely like the art, particularly the Commissioner Gordon mustache work which hasn't been repeated. DC felt his work important (or large) enough to get his own tribute book. The period that Don was drawing was also a great look at almost every Bats villain (Penguin, Riddler, intro to Killer Croc, the Squid, Joker, Deadshot, Mr Freeze, intro to Nocturna) and the first appearance of Jason Todd (with blond hair) along with some cool Batmobile designs.

So yeah, not the typical collecting focus, but it works for me, and that's all good. If I can get more of his Charlton Phantom work, I'd be overjoyed. And the occasional Shazam or Aquaman piece would also rock. But there are a lot of mediocre panel pages out there cluttering the system, so while it seems like there is a lot of availability, I'm still sifting for quality. Anyone who reads this, I'm happy to discuss!

Bob

Re: Don Newton

One time, I asked a currently working comic artist who he thought the best Batman artist was. He surprised me with Don Newton, and asked me if I knew him. While I knew who he was, and that he had died early than anyone should, and that he had done a ton of art in the late 300s range of Batman which was in my specialty, that was about it.

I pried, and the artist said that if I could get past the visuals imparted by the various inkers who had done Don's pencils, and get to the basics, that I'd be surprised with what I found. Innovative camera perspectives, challenging layouts, unnecessary fabric folds, mood-setting close-ups, imaginative settings...once I got past the inkers, I'd find some pretty amazing stuff.

As I matured as a OA collector, it got more and more interesting for me to study the artist. Others fret over Miller Daredevil, or Smith Conans, but I'm happy with just me and couple others in my little Newton Bats corner. Its also been a really neat opportunity to appreciate and loathe various inkers, once you really get a sense of their capacity to accentuate or obliterate the penciller's vision.

While acknowledging that Don Newton is no Neal Adams, and doesn't even rank super high on the Bats artists list, its right around my peak nostalgia period and I genuinely like the art, particularly the Commissioner Gordon mustache work which hasn't been repeated. DC felt his work important (or large) enough to get his own tribute book. The period that Don was drawing was also a great look at almost every Bats villain (Penguin, Riddler, intro to Killer Croc, the Squid, Joker, Deadshot, Mr Freeze, intro to Nocturna) and the first appearance of Jason Todd (with blond hair) along with some cool Batmobile designs.

So yeah, not the typical collecting focus, but it works for me, and that's all good. If I can get more of his Charlton Phantom work, I'd be overjoyed. And the occasional Shazam or Aquaman piece would also rock. But there are a lot of mediocre panel pages out there cluttering the system, so while it seems like there is a lot of availability, I'm still sifting for quality. Anyone who reads this, I'm happy to discuss!

Bob

Awesome post, Love hearing why people collect what they do.