• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard Decision

89 posts in this topic

Anyone ever decided to pull the chute and punch out? I am unsure whether I want to or not. I hate Epay and the board is not all that much better to sell.Have not had much luck on Craigslist and that is what is making keep everything more than anything,

I hate selling collectibles but am hemorrhaging money on a business venture and my time working with the military is coming to an end soon, which has helped offset some of the cost but could use more. Sorry for the rant just venting. Would love to hear how and if you have ever decided to sell off. I will keep a few special books/art if I decide to sell.

Anyone ever decided to pull the chute and punch out? I am unsure whether I want to or not. I hate Epay and the board is not all that much better to sell.Have not had much luck on Craigslist and that is what is making keep everything more than anything,

I hate selling collectibles but am hemorrhaging money on a business venture and my time working with the military is coming to an end soon, which has helped offset some of the cost but could use more. Sorry for the rant just venting. Would love to hear how and if you have ever decided to sell off. I will keep a few special books/art if I decide to sell.

You should try pest control,business is booming. :devil:

I may sell off my entire Comic and OA collection minus a couple of pieces. My main concern is I don't think I have it in me to piece meal it out and not to many people have 10K lying around or willing to pay 1/4-1/3 of the collections value.

You should try pest control,business is booming. :devil:

hm

I hate selling collectibles but am hemorrhaging money on a business venture

I really hope it's you spending the money and not some business manager or partner, as "setting up a new business" seems to be a calling card for others to 'spend another person's life savings".

My wife was getting jerked around by realtors, property owners, contractors, etc. (quoting crepe like $64,000 for a turn-key office (no equipment)) so I got pissed off and personally found her a prime location with low rent & lots of space and then physically set her entire office + PCs/laptops + networking up for almost nothing. We had only $3K in renovations (no permits) and the owner paid that. She spends less on a 3-line phone, 50 mbps internet and cable TV (less than $100) than most businesses do on a one-line phone. It worked out so well she was able to pay off her sizable medical equipment bill in less than a year.

Sorry to :blahblah::blahblah: but it pisses me off to no end how many people come looking for easy money and kickbacks to friends/relatives whenever they hear you want to set up a new office. Only trust yourself and spend that money wisely. :sumo:

I may sell off my entire Comic and OA collection minus a couple of pieces. My main concern is I don't think I have it in me to piece meal it out and not to many people have 10K lying around or willing to pay 1/4-1/3 of the collections value.

Not trying to be a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces here but if no one is willing to pay even a quarter of it "value" is it really that valuable then?

Made me think of this morning when so dude started asking about my truck and I mentioned I might sell it for 9k then he asked "How much do you have in it" as if that's what made it's worth.

Definitely not my first go round starting a business.

Not trying to be a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces here but if no one is willing to pay even a quarter of it "value" is it really that valuable then?

The collection is well worth 35k+ but most people are stuck on buying collections at 1-5%, not 20-35% jmo. I hate selling on Ebay , which would net the most profit. I also don't really want to sell it one comic at a time or have someone cherry pick it to be left with the most common Batman stuff.

I have sold my entire collection a few times.

Some things I miss, and if you ever do miss them you can always get them again, that is the beauty of collecting. The chase is just as much fun as owning it.

Best of luck.

What an interesting and innovative new kind of thread you started.

I think you are the first to ever feel this way.

So what advise do you need from all of us to help you make money?

How can we give you information that helps you only?

Didn't realize the forum was set to person_too_unaware_of_social_graces tonight. Don't need anything form you.

Sorry if my ramblings offend you, but really I just don't care.

Didn't realize the forum was set to person_too_unaware_of_social_graces tonight. Don't need anything form you.

You remind of people who call fellow collectors just for selfish advice on how to help them only make money.

This thread is so predictable and so basically simple.

What a joke and disgrace.

Sell your collection and hit the bricks......

I got rid of a third of my collection about 4 years ago by selling to another collector. It was about 8-10 short boxes....not a huge amount of stuff. Probably ended up around 15%-20% of guide. I know there was stuff in there that I could have sold for more..and yes, with all the idiocy in California, selling on eBay is stupid.

If you just want to "punch out" though, I would just go to the best LCS you can find, or figure out the best price you can do and go with Craigslist (patience) or a comic seller forum on Facebook. You could also try breaking it up into smaller chunks...say 4 quarters of the collection. Either way, you probably won't get a bunch...but that is the nature of the beast. Comics aren't really that liquid unless they are keys, right?. My two cents...

You remind of people who call fellow collectors just for selfish advice on how to help them only make money.

Yep thats me utterly selfish :eyeroll:

A widow whose son passed away several years ago sold his collection to private collectors who lived in the city. She also sold some of it to a dealer who simply went to another dealer to flip them. The moral I suppose is I'm sure most local collectors are willing to pay a lot more than a dealer...so maybe that's who you need to try and sell them to.

I do however acknowledge finding them is the key to success.

Good luck.

I did sell a large part of my Silver Age collection over 20 years and have since bought them all back. So, you may at sometime down the road regret selling the collection. I'm sure (if time is on your side) if you simply box them and put them away, in 10 or 20 years you will be ecstatic that you didn't sell them. Also, I'm sure the collection would have increased in value as well.

My advice is don't sell.

Yep thats me utterly selfish :eyeroll:

Here is my advise for people who complain about money.