• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TREASURE CHEST

116 posts in this topic

I was viewing the Grand Comics Database Project (very impressive undertaking)
I am trying to obtain cheap but high grade copies of this series and it is no easy feat.

I ran across this photo from the GCD. Has anyone ever seen this book in VF/NM or better condition?

1114259-treasurechest.jpg

1114259-treasurechest.jpg.39746bbb5ebc33c4f778773165008ada.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this book in VF/NM or better condition?

Actually I'm looking for that one too. Its one of them that I'm missing.

I see some of those TC comics shown in the GCD were taken from this thread. thumbsup2.gif

I'd post more TC covers if I could. I just don't have a printshop with this old computer of mine. All I can do is scan and email pictures. Thats no fun. frown.gif

So what TC's are you collecting? Where you starting at. The ones from the 50's? 60's? Or right from #1.

So what TC's are you collecting? Where you starting at.

The ones from the 50's? 60's? Or right from #1.

I am starting with the late fifties to the end of the series. I will see how successful

I am with this endeavor. I will give myself four years to complete this goal (no rush).

I just received this book today. I was surprised how supple the pages were.

WERE, not are?

What did you do to it???

Just kidding -- great catch. How scarce is it? Gerber or anecdotal.

Jack

I really don't know how scarce the #1 TC is but I can tell you the whole series does not

get much respect. CBG did an article on long running issues and I don't recollect reading anything

on Treasure Chest Comics yet the series ran 518 issues. More importantly, it probably had

higher print runs than other books for its time. According to NCEA.org, during the mid-1960's,

parochial schools "had reached an all-time high of 4.5 million elementary school pupils,

with about 1 million students in Catholic high schools." Given that many of these students

subscribed to this publication (they were distributed in the schools), there are probably

tons of copies out there (at least from the sixties) albeit in used condition.

Here is an Inside ad for the first issue.

vol01no01-32.jpg

Does anyone know anything about Graham Hunter? I'd love to hear any info anybody has on him

Graham Hunter did some of the PEPSI ads in comics. True Comic #50 & #55 have ads that he done. Also In Captain Marvel Jr. #44 has one of his Pepsi ads.

The only other comic art that I know of are the TC covers that he done. He did have some of his work shown in some magazine regulary for a while. Simular to the TC covers. You can always tell his work because of all the action going on in the drawings. I always felt one of his pictures told a whole story. Great American artist.

I came across this interview with artist Frank Borth and he talks about his days working on Treasure Chest comics. Its pretty interesting. Gives a lot of info on what went on behind the scenes and his working with other artists. The link below is the written transcript of the interview. I will post the audio of the interview for those that can listen to it below it.

http://dspace.wrlc.org/doc/get/2041/48309/borthinterviewtext.html

The audio interview.

http://dspace.wrlc.org/doc/stream/2041/48309/1/borthinterviewdisplay.wma