• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st purchases in 8 years.

130 posts in this topic

Man, there's a TV I want for only $3000. GPA on the JLA 1 is $8900! It's not so much the cost, but the opportunity cost. I can buy the TV, new stereo, a new guitar and Marshall amp.

You can't compare. Based on opportunity cost, you TV, AMP, Gutar, etc, will depreciate in value while most likely the JLA #1 will not.

Therefore, from an investment / opportunity cost point of view, the JLA #1 makes the most sense.

Using your logic, you should NEVER, put money in BONDS, STOCKS, REAL ESTATE (other then your home), COLLECTIBLES, etc. as none of these are useable items.

That said, I'm sure you will get way more intangible pleasure from those other items.

893applaud-thumb.gif

But I would say forget the AMP and get a POD (not an iPod), as for $200 or less, you can recreate the sounds of dozens of different amps. thumbsup2.gif

Collectibles are usable items. Some weirdos might actually READ the comics they buy (those that aren't sealed in plastic at least). poke2.giftongue.gif

screwy.gif

Any of you 893censored-thumb.gif's touch my comics, I'll cut you!

Collectibles are usable items. Some weirdos might actually READ the comics they buy (those that aren't sealed in plastic at least).

Fair enough. But then again I guess you could read your stock certificates or financial statements.

That said, no one is paying $100's just to read the story (especially since many books have been reprinted).

But I would say forget the AMP and get a POD (not an iPod), as for $200 or less, you can recreate the sounds of dozens of different amps. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I've heard good things about the PODs, but never heard one. I've got a Crate halfstack now, and recently bought a Marshall Jackhammer, to get a better tone. I'm about to just dump $2000 on a JCM head, and do it right. My Crate doesn't do justice to my new Ibanez RG Prestige that my wife bought me last year for my 30th birthday.

With so many diverse interests, I often gravitate towards more toys, as they are more fun than some paper (like how I downplay comics?). Then after a hiatus from comics, I miss them and get the itch again. confused-smiley-013.gif

Based on opportunity cost, you TV, AMP, Gutar, etc, will depreciate in value while most likely the JLA #1 will not.

Actually, vintage amps and guitars will not depreciate in value (or at least not like a brand new one). Ever try finding a pre-1965 Fender Stratocaster?

But I would say forget the AMP and get a POD (not an iPod), as for $200 or less, you can recreate the sounds of dozens of different amps.

Steve, are you a guitar player? I've heard good things about the POD, and it might be okay for generating most effects, but for getting the best distortion and sustain, I'm an old-fashioned guy and believe that nothing approaches a plain old overdriven amp.

Collectibles are usable items. Some weirdos might actually READ the comics they buy (those that aren't sealed in plastic at least).

Fair enough. But then again I guess you could read your stock certificates or financial statements.

That said, no one is paying $100's just to read the story (especially since many books have been reprinted).

I know, I was just giving you a hard time. poke2.gif

But I would say forget the AMP and get a POD (not an iPod), as for $200 or less, you can recreate the sounds of dozens of different amps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, are you a guitar player? I've heard good things about the POD, and it might be okay for generating most effects, but for getting the best distortion and sustain, I'm an old-fashioned guy and believe that nothing approaches a plain old overdriven amp.

I played music for a living for around 6 years (on the road 50 weeks a year). Just never could get a record deal eventhough we had a production company and even had two demos (four songs each) produced by people who had record deals (but no one most people heard of).

And I'm one heck of a guitar player. I also write my own songs using Cakewalk Sonar software, have a Yamaha Synth for the drums, bass and keyboard parts and two modified Charvel Guitars. Doug's heard some of my songs.

The POD kicks .

Actually, I think you are wrong here, at least with books in the sub-$100 range. Reprints are simply not the same; you don't get the same tactile feel, there are no ads or letter pages, and I have bought many $25-$100 books for the express purpose of reading them (and then into the collection).

Of course this is coming from a collector and it might be tough for the investment side to understand this.

Collectibles are usable items. Some weirdos might actually READ the comics they buy (those that aren't sealed in plastic at least). poke2.giftongue.gif

sign-funnypost.gif