• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 8 Results

72 posts in this topic

That ASM 300 was a 9.2 all day long. :eyeroll:

Especially with what appeared to be a tear at the LL corner on the front cover large scan.

I thought it was 9.4 at best. The corner didn't concern me as much as other defects did.

Same here, and as usual, I sat with my grades composed at 9.2 and 9.6 and then proceeded to check the scans over and over, changing both books to 9.4, then back again. The reason I finally settled on 9.2 for the ASM 300 was because if the corner rip was not production or if there was other non-visible damage, I thought it could drop to a 9.0.

But no way in heII's half-acre did I think it would get a 9.6.

The wildest ride so far has to be the precipitous fall of 427Impaler, who only 2 rounds ago was challenging toro for 1st, and after a horrible recent performance is now back with the scrubs in 27th.

Impressive grading by so many participants!

Here's a little context: in order to make it into the top 7 at the moment, you'd have to be averaging 6.25 points per round... or more than 3 points per book.

On average, you couldn't be more than 1 grade off on every book.

Meanwhile, toro is averaging 3.625 per book.

That is interesting. 3 points per round would put you currently tied for 7th spot. Not too shabby.

While playing it safe can get you in the prize picking spots, obviously getting the bulls-eyes will reap greater rewards.

The wildest ride so far has to be the precipitous fall of 427Impaler, who only 2 rounds ago was challenging toro for 1st, and after a horrible recent performance is now back with the scrubs in 27th.
Awax had better be careful, his double bull last round has put him in danger of losing his grip on the booby prize.

Awax had better be careful, his double bull last round has put him in danger of losing his grip on the booby prize.

He won it last year. I don't think it would be wise to do that two years in a row. 2c

did Impaler427 purposely take a dive just because he want to storm back from behind so we realize his CGC grading brilliance? hm

Poor guy impaled himself. :(

are you reading that correctly? All of these people have less points than Awax at 20

I have the booby prize order as follows currently (all players playing every round):

freecharlie 8 pts

kowings 10

WEBHEAD 16

Mr.TawkyTawny 18

Shadow 18

You're right, don't know what the heck I was looking at. I must have skimmed up past all the purples. Sorry Awax :foryou:

I blame it on a total mental breakdown. I got myself dialed into the whole "it can't be what I think it is" conspiracy theory, these books look great but they just can't be. I started feverishly searching the large scans for the tiniest flaws, and everything got exaggerated....

I looked back on both the books and even if I didn't descend into OCD paranoia I still would have missed the ASM by a large margin. The Astonishing on the other hand I have no idea why I hit it so hard. Definitely a lesson, I hate lessons.

I am green with envy of the grading skills around here which is about the only green I'm getting during this contest

are you reading that correctly? All of these people have less points than Awax at 20

But that's the point of the post, Awax just slammed a double bulls eye last round for 10 points, doubling his previous total score and vaulting him out of contention for last place.

I blame it on a total mental breakdown. I got myself dialed into the whole "it can't be what I think it is" conspiracy theory, these books look great but they just can't be. I started feverishly searching the large scans for the tiniest flaws, and everything got exaggerated....

I guess you missed my sage advice in a previous round:

The longer you look at a high-rez comic scan, the lower your eventual grade will be.

I guess you missed my sage advice in a previous round:

The longer you look at a high-rez comic scan, the lower your eventual grade will be.

True, which is why it's advisable to take one last look at the small scan before committing. It helps put something like a 1/4" spine tick back into perspective.

I looked back on both the books and even if I didn't descend into OCD paranoia I still would have missed the ASM by a large margin. The Astonishing on the other hand I have no idea why I hit it so hard. Definitely a lesson, I hate lessons.

+1 on the "it can't be what I think it is" line of thinking. In my PM to the host I actually mentioned that I thought this was another "trick" round lol

ASM300 w/small scans = 9.6

ASM300 w/high res scans = 9.2 at best

Shoulda stuck with the iPhone.