• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sparklecity?

50 posts in this topic

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

I remember the sheep in the 1980s

SparkleCity always had some of the nicest books back then

Everything was mylared at SparkleCity booth, which was unusual for the time

Not the same Sparkle City. NeatStuff bought the name. The SparkleCity of ebay is NeatStuff.

Say what no way. Mr C is in charge

It's a personal story with some very ugly details, so I doubt anyone will want to gossip about it here.

Suffice to say that I wouldn't give Maybruck the time of day, and I'll bet I'm not alone in that regard.

Guess Im just going to have to listen to the CZ interviews later today

Im on vacation and bored so its a good way to kill some time

Sounds like a great vacation... zzz

Its Walking Dead, Beer and CZ this week :)

Maybruck rambles to such an extent...

Do you think he was just nervous or is his brain fried?

I think he mentions in the interview that he is having some health problems and is on medication. So that may be part of what was going on.

Maybruck rambles to such an extent...

Do you think he was just nervous or is his brain fried?

I think he mentions in the interview that he is having some health problems and is on medication. So that may be part of what was going on.

I only listened to the first episode. What I heard was someone continually apologizing but at the same time trying to minimize or justify his own behavior.

It basically sounded like the supreme narcissist's version of contrition.

Even though I bought a few books from Sparkle City back in the 80's, I don't think I ever met Maybruck, so my take on him is based solely on that one interview.

Were any of the books they were listing their own stock, or were they all consignments? Did anyone here in the GA boards consign with them? What was their commission structure like? I think eBay's fee structure has changed, hasn't it? Maybe their business model wasn't as profitable after eBay fees went up.

About a year ago I asked what their consignment fee was, and I was told 20% generally, but for big ticket books the percentage could be brought down. They felt 20% was justified because their auctions tend to fetch high prices.

Did the eBay & PayPal fees come out of the commission, or were those paid by the consignor on top of the commission?

20% + fees seems like an atrocious deal to me. The one time I bought a book in a Sparkle City auction, I put in a high bid because it was a nice book, not because it was a Sparkle City listing. My bid would've been exactly the same with Joe Schmoe selling it.

The consignment rate Includes all fees (ebay, paypal, etc..) You can check out the website for the consignment fee scale. If you have a 20% rate that means you receive 80% of hammer price. The more expensive the item, the lower the rate.

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

Not the same Sparkle City. NeatStuff bought the name. The SparkleCity of ebay is NeatStuff.

Mr. C was an employee of NeatStuff for a while, he never was/is not the owner. NeatStuff parted ways with him before re-launching Sparkle City Comics, he is not and was never a part of it.

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

Mr. C was an employee of NeatStuff for a while, he never was/is not the owner. NeatStuff parted ways with him before re-launching Sparkle City Comics, he is not and was never a part of it.

Is this "The Carb" we are talking about as Mr. C ?

I love the sheep ! ! !

Baaaaaaa

I did not know that but makes sense

Vinny of Metropolis had an amazing interview with the Founder of the original SparkleCity a few years back on Comic Zone

It was a fascinating interview but sadly the owner (forget his name) fell on hard times

Such a shame because SparkleCity truly was one of the best dealers of the 80s

Jay Maybruck. He was the original flipper...... a real buying machine. He would buy up all the choice material before the shows opened and then take them to the next show at double mark up. He was one of the early full timers..... realizing a person could make a living on the show circuit. That Comic Zone interview (several parts) was intense..... his story would actually make a great Indy film. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sounds like he was the MR.MINT of comic books!

61bcfg5NGjL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

512pCEHg9tL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I listened to all the interviews with Jay. Simply fascinating. I always talked to Jay when the old Creation shows would come around my part of the country. I never bought much since they were always a lot more expensive then any other dealer, BUT they always had great stuff. After they moved from Dayton(Im from Ohio) I would obviously see Jay less often but every once in awhile they would set up at a Saturdays Child show in Cleveland or Mid Ohio back when it was in Mansfield.

He is the first true rock star comic show dealer without a doubt. Their set ups were legendary.