• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When does a books price peak related to movie release??

30 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Strange Tales 110 (posted on the boards here) that I plan on selling. But I want to take full advantage of movie hysteria. I intend to use the proceeds to buy ... of course...more comics! What's the best time to sell?? Just before the movie release...just after? With Doctor Strange, I cannot imagine the movie being bad with Benedict Cumberbatch, so I am thinking of waiting until after the release.

Thoughts?

Thor 165 has continued to climb long after GOTG movie with its hint of Warlock.

I would be surprised if you don't catch a lot of heck for this post.

:shrug:

In my experience books typically peak prior to release, best time to sell is usually just before the "last" trailer version hits the market. Books more often than not experience a post movie lull (even successful ones) when the speculators get out en masse and move on to the next thing.

There are obviously exceptions on both ends of this example.

IMO: this book in particular (even if the movie does well, which is still a HUGE if) will experience a serious correction post release. The speculation on it is out of control, flippers have been flipping back and flipping forth so much I am not even sure anyone who really wanted to own the book does anymore.

Thor 165 has continued to climb long after GOTG movie with its hint of Warlock.

I am not sure I understand - HIM has not been in a movie and neither has Warlock. It's still in the pre-release hype phase.

I have a copy of Strange Tales 110 (posted on the boards here) that I plan on selling. But I want to take full advantage of movie hysteria. I intend to use the proceeds to buy ... of course...more comics! What's the best time to sell?? Just before the movie release...just after? With Doctor Strange, I cannot imagine the movie being bad with Benedict Cumberbatch, so I am thinking of waiting until after the release.

Thoughts?

:idea::tonofbricks:

what about Avengers 57 that book is also still climbing

That depends on the likability of the character. Vision was very well liked in AoU. I'm willing to bet Groot and Rocket's first appearances are also still pretty valuable.

If the Doctor Strange movie doesn't do well, ST 110 may decline.

Thoughts?

Your post is too easy for me.

Everyone knows what I am thinking. :whistle:

Good luck with it.

It's a great book, but the flipping has gotten out of hand. I'll agree with what someone said earlier. It's like not many people are actually just collecting the issue anymore.

Sometimes people flip casually to help finance something they actually collect.

Sometimes the only thing that separates a "flipper" and your average "dealer" is a booth and a website.

Best of luck. Timing the market on something like this is never easy. Different books jump or drop at different times. My advice is sell it when you get what you want out of it and don't worry if it goes up or down after that.

Good luck with it.

It's a great book, but the flipping has gotten out of hand. I'll agree with what someone said earlier. It's like not many people are actually just collecting the issue anymore.

Sometimes the only thing that separates a "flipper" and your average "dealer" is a booth and a website.

+1

I totally agree with the sentiment of this, and its not even a sometimes thing.

I don't get the ridiculous animosity for 'flippers' shown on this board and in the hobby in general.

A flipper is someone who buys a comic for the reason of reselling for profit.

Flipper = Dealer

Dealer = Flipper

In my limited experience I've found that villain first appearances tend to spike at announcement (see Avengers 55) and then eventually balance out as everyone scrambles to get their copies graded and flipped. Iron Man 55 is an exception to this, but Thanos is a serious baddie and that book was probably undervalued to begin with.

High grade first appearances of heroes I've held until 2-3 months before the movie release. If it's a lower grade book I'll usually try to sell it shortly after getting it back since the way pricing seems to work is the 9.0+ stuff climbs in price but that doesn't often make it to the low/mid range grade books on these quick flips. The higher grade book market is also much less likely to saturate over time unless it's a much more recent book.

Good luck with it.

+1

I don't get the ridiculous animosity for 'flippers' shown on this board and in the hobby in general.

Flipper = Dealer

Dealer = Flipper

I think you're reading a little too much into the original comment. I don't think that it is a stretch to say that there are more ST110's currently held by people looking to flip it than people actually interested in having one for their collection. Everyone didn't suddenly become Doctor Strange fans when the movie was announced. It is one of the most speculated on books around. That is a fact that is independent of anyone's feelings on whether flipping itself is a good or bad thing.

Good luck with it.

+1

Flipper = Dealer

Dealer = Flipper

I think you're reading a little too much into the original comment. I don't think that it is a stretch to say that there are more ST110's currently held by people looking to flip it than people actually interested in having one for their collection. Everyone didn't suddenly become Doctor Strange fans when the movie was announced. It is one of the most speculated on books around. That is a fact that is independent of anyone's feelings on whether flipping itself is a good or bad thing.

I agree, this is more of a statement about the state of the market. As many have said, IF you didn't cash out right when the movie announcement was made, I don't think it would make sense to sell now. Maybe wait until Dr Strange has been cast (esp if its someone famous), or wait until a month or two before the movie.

Good luck with it.

+1

Flipper = Dealer

Dealer = Flipper

I agree, this is more of a statement about the state of the market. As many have said, IF you didn't cash out right when the movie announcement was made, I don't think it would make sense to sell now. Maybe wait until Dr Strange has been cast (esp if its someone famous), or wait until a month or two before the movie.

I'd go with the sell while the selling is good mentality myself. If you don't want it for your collection, sell now while it is hot. Will it get hotter? Maybe, but there is no way of really knowing. I certainly don't think now is a bad time to sell it, unless the movie is a huge hit that generates massive new interest in the character, ala Ironman.