• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When does a books price peak related to movie release??

30 posts in this topic

Value peaks after I sell my copies.

Recently, values peak at 4-5 months after the character has been confirmed in a given movie.

There is always an exception and long term, the book will still stay above the pre-movie announcement price.

Good luck with it.

It's a great book, but the flipping has gotten out of hand. I'll agree with what someone said earlier. It's like not many people are actually just collecting the issue anymore.

Sometimes people flip casually to help finance something they actually collect.

Sometimes the only thing that separates a "flipper" and your average "dealer" is a booth and a website.

+1

I totally agree with the sentiment of this, and its not even a sometimes thing.

I don't get the ridiculous animosity for 'flippers' shown on this board and in the hobby in general.

A flipper is someone who buys a comic for the reason of reselling for profit.

Flipper = Dealer

Dealer = Flipper

I think you're reading a little too much into the original comment. I don't think that it is a stretch to say that there are more ST110's currently held by people looking to flip it than people actually interested in having one for their collection. Everyone didn't suddenly become Doctor Strange fans when the movie was announced. It is one of the most speculated on books around. That is a fact that is independent of anyone's feelings on whether flipping itself is a good or bad thing.

I agree, this is more of a statement about the state of the market. As many have said, IF you didn't cash out right when the movie announcement was made, I don't think it would make sense to sell now. Maybe wait until Dr Strange has been cast (esp if its someone famous), or wait until a month or two before the movie.

I'd go with the sell while the selling is good mentality myself. If you don't want it for your collection, sell now while it is hot. Will it get hotter? Maybe, but there is no way of really knowing. I certainly don't think now is a bad time to sell it, unless the movie is a huge hit that generates massive new interest in the character, ala Ironman.

Even if the movie is incredible and the book becomes more valuable now is not a BAD time to sell it. A book you bought for $1000? a couple years ago and you can now get $3000? $4000? for isn't a bad sale. As I said earlier, timing the market is not easy. If all books took the same path everyone would be timing the market and that would alter when it was a good time to sell.

Best of luck. Timing the market on something like this is never easy. Different books jump or drop at different times. My advice is sell it when you get what you want out of it and don't worry if it goes up or down after that.

+1

Very sound advice as every hot book seems to follow its own pattern. It is virtually impossible to pick the bottom and then be able to pick the top also. Even so, the wait can sometimes be a few years and the absolute dollar return not that great

Much easier and faster turnaround time to flip houses where you can use leverage and the absolute dollar return can be so much greater, especially in today's scorching hot real estate market. Of course, it also depends on your location and a little bit of luck never hurts.

Depends on the book I think. Are there tons and tons of ungraded ones laying around?

Look at NW 98. More have hit the market and the book is cooling off a little bit and it hasnt even hit the movies yet.

Depends on the book I think. Are there tons and tons of ungraded ones laying around?

Look at NW 98. More have hit the market and the book is cooling off a little bit and it hasnt even hit the movies yet.

Yes, it looks like there have been thousands of copies of NM 98 slabbed over the past few years, with tens of thousands of ungraded copies still out there. Definitely a high demand book, but a ton of supply out there which means it has probably already pass its peak.

On the other hand, books with relatively few graded copies and probably not that many more copies such as More Fun 73 might also be past its current market peak. This one for a completely different reason as double digit multiples to guide across all condition grades are normally not sustainable for a book in the long run.

I don't think that it is a stretch to say that there are more ST110's currently held by people looking to flip it than people actually interested in having one for their collection.

I think that's a huge stretch. What I don't think is a stretch is saying that most copies purchased in the last (shrug) few years were purchased by speculators/flippers and not for collections.

Good luck with it.

It's a great book, but the flipping has gotten out of hand. I'll agree with what someone said earlier. It's like not many people are actually just collecting the issue anymore.

Sometimes people flip casually to help finance something they actually collect.

Sometimes the only thing that separates a "flipper" and your average "dealer" is a booth and a website.

+1

I totally agree with the sentiment of this, and its not even a sometimes thing.

I don't get the ridiculous animosity for 'flippers' shown on this board and in the hobby in general.

A flipper is someone who buys a comic for the reason of reselling for profit.

Flipper = Dealer

Dealer = Flipper

I think you're reading a little too much into the original comment. I don't think that it is a stretch to say that there are more ST110's currently held by people looking to flip it than people actually interested in having one for their collection. Everyone didn't suddenly become Doctor Strange fans when the movie was announced. It is one of the most speculated on books around. That is a fact that is independent of anyone's feelings on whether flipping itself is a good or bad thing.

I agree, this is more of a statement about the state of the market. As many have said, IF you didn't cash out right when the movie announcement was made, I don't think it would make sense to sell now. Maybe wait until Dr Strange has been cast (esp if its someone famous), or wait until a month or two before the movie.

I'd go with the sell while the selling is good mentality myself. If you don't want it for your collection, sell now while it is hot. Will it get hotter? Maybe, but there is no way of really knowing. I certainly don't think now is a bad time to sell it, unless the movie is a huge hit that generates massive new interest in the character, ala Ironman.

That's all I was saying. I don't have a problem with flippers. I do it myself.

My point was that with this particular issue, it seems like flippers outweigh collectors in most recent history. Not that I really have a bone to pick with anyone flipping a ST 110. Knock yourself out.

I don't think that it is a stretch to say that there are more ST110's currently held by people looking to flip it than people actually interested in having one for their collection.

I think that's a huge stretch. What I don't think is a stretch is saying that most copies purchased in the last (shrug) few years were purchased by speculators/flippers and not for collections.

True, that is probably more accurate. The books actually on the market are a small slice of the total copies. Most of the other copies have probably been sitting in collections for 20+ years.

True, that is probably more accurate. The books actually on the market are a small slice of the total copies. Most of the other copies have probably been sitting in collections for 20+ years.

A LOT of people want the book... they just don't want it enough to justify its current market rate.

I'd like to see the collector that would pass up a Venus #1 for $10 and they don't collect Venus but they refuse to sell it for full value because flipping is bad.