• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone use Ebay to value an item by....

27 posts in this topic

The cover painting to Marvel Preview 4 featuring the 1st Starlord. Its tough as I have seen art go for twice what I thought it would from this series and out do auction estimates. For all I know the offer I received in the past was crazy at the time. I figured it would give me a guide as to the value of my other two paintings from this series and a good indication of insurance value and value for my family when I am six feet under.

I can't come close to affording it but I'd love to see it. Can you post up a scan when you get a chance?

The cover painting to Marvel Preview 4 featuring the 1st Starlord. Its tough as I have seen art go for twice what I thought it would from this series and out do auction estimates. For all I know the offer I received in the past was crazy at the time. I figured it would give me a guide as to the value of my other two paintings from this series and a good indication of insurance value and value for my family when I am six feet under.

I can't come close to affording it but I'd love to see it. Can you post up a scan when you get a chance?

Here it is framed I have a better scan in my CAF gallery. You will understand why I bought the Magazines in your thread. I was lucky and got the piece and others well before the movie, The splash page to number 11 went for about 20k on Heritage but that is Byrne and Austin.

framed002_zpsf8c402c3.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it selling at that high a price.

It's not a $100k piece. It could be, a 5+ years from now, but it's not right now.

And if I'm wrong & for some reason it did sell at $100k, you'll have made out like a bandit.

I see a far more likely scenario is you won't even see offers in the $40k range, as the book itself has cooled considerably since last summer.

Yeah, that's spectacular. If you do not want to sell it, don't list it. Whatever price you put on it, you could lose it.

You could always just put it in the stratosphere, like $250k+, with best offer on. That should reduce the pain of losing it. :)

If you post, it can sell.

If you post too high, you'll get no offers on it because people will assume you're nuts.

I feel like 99% of books on eBay are priced too high. Doesn't stop me from making offers (if available) or the sellers being nuts.

:shrug:

:insane:

I have had the pleasure of seeing it in person and it is an awesome piece of art.

I don't think you fool with eBay on this at all for a few reasons.

1) no intention of selling it

2) whatever information you get from eBay is not necessarily going to be a true indication of the value

3) you could lose it to someone with tons of money (Chris Pratt might want it?)

4) If someone takes your buy it now and stiffs you, the final value fees will take a while to resolve themselves - or you could even be scammed

If this is just to see where the market is, I would consider getting it appraised by a professional. But as you are not intending to sell, I would just to insure it for whatever you think it is worth to you. The other option would be to put a reserve price on it that is crazy high or at least your "crazy price" and see how the bidding goes. Only problem with that is you are still open to the potential of all four of the items above.

Do we have a place on these boards where people can get an evaluation of what others feel an item is worth? Kind of like the PGM forum but we could call it WWYP (what would you pay?).