• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is the copper age only 8 years??

76 posts in this topic

I know the comic ages have been debated for start and end dates as long as comics have been around. But I don't understand why the copper age is only 8 years long 1985 to 1992

Gold age is 18 years 1938 to 1954

Silver age is 15 years 1955 to 1969 (which is debatable)

Bronze Age is 15 years 1970 to 1984 (again debatable)

Copper age is 8 1985 to 1992 (August death of Death of Superman)

Modern age is currently 23 years 1992 to present.

While I acknowledge the importance of the death of Superman, but should it really define the end on a comic age? Shouldn't copper end in 1999 and the new modern start in 2000?

Just my 2 cents.

It's because various dealers wanted to create a "late-Bronze" period, that used to be Copper, and got Overstreet to change their eras. It's stupid, as everyone knows the BA didn't extend to 1984. :screwy:

Bronze Age is 10-11 years 1970 to 1980-81

Copper age is 9-10 years 1981 to 1990-91

Modern age is currently 24 years 1991 to present.

Strictly speaking, each age rough start and termination should be flexible according to publisher as well.

"Modern" does not make much sense as a term for classification, and surely the big changes (in terms of content) did not happen in 1992 alone.

A thing I would surely considering as an usher for the "Modern" era (whatever that term could mean) is Civil War: most characters have been fully trashed and never recovered.

I personally would split them in at least two ages. And no way Copper starts in 1985. In 1979 the Bronze Age was already way gone. (thumbs u

While I acknowledge the importance of the death of Superman, but should it really define the end on a comic age?

No, The Death of Superman is to Modern what ASM 121 is to Bronze, the culmination of a long series of industry changes, trends and innovations.

The Marvel Three, Valiant, Image, take yer pick. That's what started it. Superman dying was just the cherry on top.

Honestly, there aren’t much significant changes across the mid-1990s.

If we have to use a label as "Modern" it’s probably better to define why we have to use it, or find a better label in the same vein of the others (which are based on the nobility of metals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_metal

The "Modern age" is mostly not bound to resist corrosion… lol

Chromium is really a misnomer for an era, and I prefer "Foil" or similar, as that's what the initial wave of speculator books used.

As I said, all comic ages names were based on metals, by their nobility attributes (curious to check Platinum against Gold, BTW) so if we want to follow the same logic there is reasoning to be done. "Modern" is not a proper label, it could extend indeterminately without meaning nothing.

If we have to use a label as "Modern" it’s probably better to define why we have to use it, or find a better label in the same vein of the others (which are based on the nobility of metals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_metal

Actually, the comic ages were at least initially based on the ages of man, golden age, silver age, bronze age, etc.

But then they ran out of metals. :insane:

Actually, the comic ages were at least initially based on the ages of man, golden age, silver age, bronze age, etc.

Really?

Well, if that is so (ages based on classic greek mythology), I’d say the final age sounds appropriate:

Iron Age (…) Children dishonor their parents, brother fights with brother and the social contract between guest and host (xenia) is forgotten. During this age might makes right, and bad men use lies to be thought good. At the height of this age, humans no longer feel shame or indignation at wrongdoing; (…)