• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

80`s revival

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone been following this recent ressurgence of the 80`s classics?If so what titles do you follow and your opinions on it.

Personally i started by following the Transformers G1 but now it has become a little hard to follow since dreamwave stopped shipping to Europe...but from what i read i have to say that i was really disappointed with the whole story arc...The other title i still follow from this movement is Thundercats, which i must say was a also a great disappointment for me as a huge fan of the series since my childhood.But the new mini looks really great.Can`t wait for my comics dealer to get it.

Besides these two titles i haven`t checked anything else out and would like to here some your opinions. smile.gif

SG,

Boa vinda a este local para a discussão de livros comic.

Since my Portuguese writing is not so good, I hope you don't mind if I continue in English. It's a pleasure to see someone from the home country online; makes me nostalgic for the land that I left behind.

In response to your question, I've read a few issues of most of the 80's nostalgia books that you're asking about. I was a big fan of Transformers especially and the Thundercats, GI Joe, and Battle of the Planets when I was growing up in the 80's. I must say, though, that I'm not terribly impressed by any of the 80's nostalgia books of late. GI Joe from Image is pretty lame. The Transformers books from DW are no better than just OK. Battle of the Planets, Thundercats, and Micronauts are so-so as well. Long story short, none of the books are impressive enough to me to warrant my buying them past the first couple issues.

Myself I enjoy the He-Man stories as i find them nice change to what is out there now. Transformers G1 is a good product I think, better than Armada in my opinion. I am also looking forward to Voltron as I am interested to see what they are going to do with this story. I would love to see them do stories on Voltron before Keith and the others took control and when the king was still alive.....I would have loved to have seen the orginal team.

Thanks for the welcome Ariamus.It`s nice to know i`m not the only portuguese person around grin.gif but i have to say that finding a good place to buy comics in good shape here in Portugal is really hard mad.gif the only place where i can get them in good condition is a comic shop in Lisbon, 300 km away from my home, called Mongorhead comics.Have you heard of it?

Returning to the topic.In the moment i`m looking forward for the new Thundercats series, the return, which seems really good and Transformers G1 volume 2.And i`m also curious about Voltron tongue.gif

SG,

I can't say that I know any good comic book shops in Portugal. It has been 25 years since my family and I immigrated to the states and though I visit Portugal often, I don't generally worry about comics all that much when I'm there on vacation.

I have seen advertisements for a place called Mundo Fantasma in Porto...you said you are 300 Km from Lisbon; if those 300 kliks are north of Lisbon, that puts you pretty close to Porto and it may be worth your while to look into that place.

Like I always say...Portuegese women have nice butts

Indeed they do grin.gif

Ariamus,

I`ve also heard about that store but never been there since i live in Faro.But thanks for the suggestion wink.gif

My other nightmare about living here in Portugal is shipping rates.Shipping from the US to Portugal kills me but i must confess that besides all this stuff i really love living here in Portugal.

SG,

I like Faro...we stayed there one night last summer when we spent 3 days in the Algarve. Went to the beaches in Faro, Albufeira, and Lagos...It was very nice. I'm from the north of Portugal, vincinity of Aveiro; our beaches are pretty treacherous most of the time so it was a pleasure to find some safe waters in Portugal. Next year, when we go back for Euro '04, I'm planning on spending a whole week in the Algarve.