• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
5 5

1,677 posts in this topic

Mr. Wilson first appears, July 3 - 1952

I'm a little creeped out that in his first appearance, Mr. Wilson is oogling Dennis' mom in her two-piece bathing suit.

If the neighbor pictured is, in fact, Mr. Wilson. He's not called by name...

Bill A.

In fact, this may not be Mr. Wilson. Does Mr. Wilson not live to the left of the Mitchells when facing the houses? I am becoming very skeptical that any of the information KF has provided is reliable at all. I suspect this was all just slapped together at the time of HK's death as a homage. Yes, maybe the strip changed where he lived, but still, we may just have to wait until Fantagraphics publishes the strips in chronological order before we can be sure of our facts. All of this just further solidifies my belief that a comprehensive site or book of the Dennis universe needs to be compiled.

Joe

794018-Mr_Wilson_7_3_52.jpg

First Christmas panel - December 25, 1951

Considering the date, I'm sure this one is accurate since it was the first Christmas the strip appeared. This joke was replayed several times in the Christmas issues as the punchline to a story, most notably the very last page of Dennis Giant #5, which is one of the best pages Al Wiseman ever drew. Wish I could scan it, but I can't bear to break the spine of that awesome squarebound... sorry.gif

794052-First_Christmas_12_25_51.jpg