• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,455 posts in this topic

Here are some scans from the April 1975 Cartoonnews (Combining Cartoon and Cartoon Club Newsletter) that featured some of Al Wiseman's work on the cover. The text inside reads:

"Al Wiseman has got to be one of the most prolific cartoonists in the business.

Besides drawing "Dennis the Menace" for Hank Kethum and the Hall Syndicate for more than 13 years, Al has sold cartoons to all magazine markets, major and minor, art directed motion pictures for Boeing Co., drew "Belvedere" for George Crenshaw, illustrated books for Prentice Hall, Inc., Alaska Magazine, Altair Industries, Celestial Arts, and Sullivan Behavoiral Books and coloring books for Physician's Art Service.

We've tried to select a variety of Al's drawings to show you the amazing versatility of this man."

cartoonnewssm.JPG

Mrs. Wiseguy

stooges.gif

Here's an update on scanning:

Mr. Escape posts that the regular series Wiseman issues still needed are:

#2-7, 9-14, 17, 18, 24-26, 27, 29, 33, 34, 37, 39, 40, 43-46.

He owns (and plans to scan) #11, 17, 18, 25, 29, 37, 44, 46.

I own and will scan #11, 18, 24, 33, 39, 40, 43. I hope to post one each Monday

on ABPC (on Tuesday's I post T-Man, on Fridays I post Four Color issues, on Wednesdays I post incomplete issues and on Saturday and Sunday I post All-Americans (wheh I need a life)

And I think ComicbookGuy said he had lower quality copies of all issues below #11 he was planning on scanning (#1 & 8 have been posted).

So I guess that leaves us needing 12 13 14 26 27 34 45

Jon

Those of you not reading the strip currently are missing an occassional gem, such as this one from May 12th, 1999:

810637-Dennis_the_MenaceComics5-12-99.gif

Allen, thanks for posting! Great cartoon! One of the many things on my Dennis-to-do list is to dig out the many modern Dennis strips that are classics. There really are a lot. Even in the 1950s and 1960s when Dennis was at his peak the dailies were hit and miss. Today the pattern continues, and I still follow the strip as much as I can.

Joe

Here's an update on scanning:

Mr. Escape posts that the regular series Wiseman issues still needed are:

#2-7, 9-14, 17, 18, 24-26, 27, 29, 33, 34, 37, 39, 40, 43-46.

He owns (and plans to scan) #11, 17, 18, 25, 29, 37, 44, 46.

I own and will scan #11, 18, 24, 33, 39, 40, 43. I hope to post one each Monday

on ABPC (on Tuesday's I post T-Man, on Fridays I post Four Color issues, on Wednesdays I post incomplete issues and on Saturday and Sunday I post All-Americans (wheh I need a life)

And I think ComicbookGuy said he had lower quality copies of all issues below #11 he was planning on scanning (#1 & 8 have been posted).

So I guess that leaves us needing 12 13 14 26 27 34 45

Jon

Jon, yes, I'll be glad to help on this over the next couple months on all issues below #10. Can you provide a link to the site please? I don't believe I'm familiar with ABPC.

Joe

Jon, yes, I'll be glad to help on this over the next couple months on all issues below #10. Can you provide a link to the site please? I don't believe I'm familiar with ABPC.

Joe

Joe,

ABPC is not a site it's a newsgroup, Alt.binaries.pictures.comics. Can you access newsgroups? If not I'm sure we can figure out a way to get you the Dennis comics posted there, and post yours there if you're willing. Perhaps "Escape" can tell us how to use the web site posting as he did for Kevin's #28. Not quite as easy, probably, but If you can use FTP, I could set that up for you to send and receive files and if all else fails there's always email.

Jon

Joe

Joe, ABPC is not a site, but a newsgroup, Alt.Binaries.Pictures.Comics. Can you access newsgroups? If not I'm sure we can work something out to get you the Dennis comics posted there (and post yours there in turn if you wish). Escape used some time of file hosting site to make Kevin's #28 available so that couls work. I'll try to see if I can put the one I posted to ABPC over the weekend up like that.

Jon

Awww...it IS Ruff!! Thanks for posting your pics, Jim and Mrs.Wiseguy-those are great. I'm loving this thread, and I check it a few times per day. headbang.gif

Thanks Linda.

Ruff "found us" when we lived in L.A., so technically speaking,

the cartoon Ruff appeared first.

My sisters were out riding their bikes around the neighborhood, and saw this white shaggy dog running loose in the street. With a very little amount of coaxing, the dog followed my sisters home. They let the dog into the back yard, so we could check it out.

Upon closer inspection, we discovered that the dog once had a collar, but from the looks of

it, the dog had frantically escaped due to the abraisions and blood around the neck.

My mother (Vadis Wiseman) took one look at the dog and said, "No way" ( or something to that effect)." We are not keeping a dog".

We decided that we would place an add in the paper to see if someone had lost the dog.

But until then the dog would stay in the fenced back yard.

That night, a storm was moving in, I think we kids pleaded a case that the dog should be allowed inside due to the sorm.

Mom said no.

The way I heard it told, after the kids were asleep, my mom took pity on the dog and let it inside the house.

No one claimed the dog, and we saw no "lost dog" notices.

Now what do we name the dog??????

Had to be.

One time, years later, Ruff was living with my father in the mountains.

With Ruff in the car, my father was driving back up into the hills from the valley, and ran into a snow storm.

The snow was falling so hard that you could only see maybe 15 yards ahead.

The driving was slow, but my dad knew the road.

My father decided to stop for a bladder break, and pulled to the side of the road.

Leaving the door open, Al got out, walked around to the side of the road, and did his business.

He got back in and drove off.

About 5 minutes later he was shocked to find Ruff was not in the car!

He spun the car aound and drove back to where he thought he had stopped before.

He jumped out and began calling for Ruff!!

Nothing.

The snow was falling harder.

More calling.

Nothing.

Then...a small black spot appeared. Ruff's nose.

Her fur was completly matted with snow, and the only thing you could see was her black nose.

Dad loaded Ruff into the car and turned up the heater.

Reunited they drove home together.

I miss Ruff.

JRW

Edited by Wiseguy

I can scan and post issues 26 and 27 (in fact I've already got 26 about half done).

At some point will the issues that have already been scanned be reposted? I ask because I see that I'm missing five of the issues that have already been posted.

Kevin, it's usually quite easy to get reposts by asking on ABPC. They appear on ABPCR (A.B.P.C.Reposts). Unfortunately, I had a hard disk crash this spring and one thing I'm missing is the Dennis comics that were posted. There were a large number of later (post-Wiseman) issues as well. I was thinking of asking for a Dennis flood on the repost list.

Jon

Edited by Jon

Jim, that's a great story about Ruff. I know what you mean about missing him. I had a dog when I was growing up as a kid and, to this day, I miss him. It's like losing a brother, and boy do kids bond with pets. It's a tough loss.

Joe

Joe

Joe,

ABPC is not a site it's a newsgroup, Alt.binaries.pictures.comics. Can you access newsgroups? If not I'm sure we can figure out a way to get you the Dennis comics posted there, and post yours there if you're willing. Perhaps "Escape" can tell us how to use the web site posting as he did for Kevin's #28. Not quite as easy, probably, but If you can use FTP, I could set that up for you to send and receive files and if all else fails there's always email.

Jon

Jon, KevinG, and Escape, thanks for making me aware of the newsgroups. I will become involved shortly, but I first want to finish posting scans and indexing all the Dennis regular and giant series. I believe I mentioned I am a school teacher, so I will be picking up the pace in June or so when school gets out. Following that, I would like to do the scans of the interiors of the issues I stated before and have purchased low grade copies of the first ten for just that purpose.

On another note, is there an advantage to posting on the other site over this one? People seem to be finding this site pretty easily, but I have to admit, in all my research, I was not aware of that site until Lee (Escape) brought it to our attention. So my question is, is it more prudent to post those scans here or on the other site? I suspect the answer may be both, but I'm curious what you guys think.

By the way, KevinG, if I didn't say so already...Welcome to the Boards!!!!

Joe

So my question is, is it more prudent to post those scans here or on the other site? I suspect the answer may be both, but I'm curious what you guys think. By the way, KevinG, if I didn't say so already...Welcome to the Boards!!!!

Joe

Joe,

I suspect quite a few more people know about ABPC than know about this site. So ithink posts there will have wider circulation. In fact when I post my next Dennis scan there, I'll add a note about this site here to see if it attracts more newcomers.

It's certainly much easier to download a whole comic from ABPC than from here assuming you have some kind of software like Agent. To do it here, I have to click on each image and save it. There I can automate the whole process. Similarly with uploading if you have software like PowerPost. There are free versions of both of these and similar programs.

The main drawback I see to posting here is the file size limitation.

Jon