• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
4 4

1,487 posts in this topic

I've been reading with great interest about Wiseman's confirmed involvement with the early Dennis Sundays. The copy of the letter by Wiseman is fascinating and I'd be interested how you came in possession of it. Also, when did the Sunday's actually begin? I always thought it was '53, but now I've have heard '52. Also, all of the original papers that carried the daily did not carry the Sunday, at least at first, as the Seattle P-I, which still carries Dennis, didn't pick up the Sunday until late into the 50's. I have always love the early Sundays and am very disappointed that the upcoming Fantagraphic book won't be including them.

Jim

Edited by jedijim

I've been reading with great interest about Wiseman's confirmed involvement with the early Dennis Sundays. The copy of the letter by Wiseman is fascinating and I'd be interested how you came in possession of it.

Welcome back, JediJim - long time, no see!

TTW is Jim Wiseman's wife, and Jim is Al Wiseman's son.

By the way, I was speaking to the guys at Metropolis at the Wizard World Philly Convention last Sunday, and I was talking to them about Dennis the Menace #1. They said the last one they had in stock - in any condition - was in 1991. I was thinking that may have been the one you bought from them. Small world, huh?

Joe

The copy of the letter by Wiseman is fascinating and I'd be interested how you came in possession of it.

I posted the letter on behalf of my husband, Jim Wiseman. It's part of a collection of drawings and other stuff of his father's that we've accumulated.

ttw

Thanks Comic Book Guy,

Ya, '91 sounds about right for my purchase from Metropolis. That was around the time that they would brag that they had (or could get) a #1 of every comic ever printed I still have to pull that out to scan. It's in my safety deposit box so kind of a hassle. Also, any confirmation on a date when the Sundays started??

Thanks!

Jim

I'm posting Dennis the Menace #46 on ABPC right now. This is the last consecutive issue in the run drawn by Wiseman. (He did draw parts of #53

68, 69.) My copy is torn and I'm missing part of the first and second story pages of the final story, "High Finance" (pages 31-2) counting the fron cover as 1). If anyone can scan and supply those two pages I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jon

'91 sounds about right for my purchase from Metropolis. That was around the time that they would brag that they had (or could get) a #1 of every comic ever printed I still have to pull that out to scan. It's in my safety deposit box so kind of a hassle. Also, any confirmation on a date when the Sundays started??

I can't wait to see a scan of your Dennis #1. popcorn.gif

About the Sundays: I'm inclined to see what the Fantagraphics book that comes out in the fall says. It may just drop the answer on our lap. If there is no mention of it, however, Jon had access to the Chicago-Tribune microfilms to find out the first Dennis strip, so most likely one of us could sift through the Sundays to see when the first one appears. In addition, I have a huge stack of old Sundays from the 1950s I will be breaking out soon and will scan some for all to see. The indexing of the regular series is well underway, so I want to wind that up first before tackling all the Sunday stuff. As I have said, there are many projects to do here before this thread dies.

Joe

I'm posting Dennis the Menace #46 on ABPC right now. This is the last consecutive issue in the run drawn by Wiseman. (He did draw parts of #53

68, 69.) My copy is torn and I'm missing part of the first and second story pages of the final story, "High Finance" (pages 31-2) counting the fron cover as 1). If anyone can scan and supply those two pages I'd greatly appreciate it.

Done! thumbsup2.gif

846417-31.jpg

846417-31.jpg.72823b162349e78364afb36c7b989235.jpg

In case you are a fan and want to give some input about the Jay North tv show ever making it to DVD, here is a website, www.tvshowsondvd.com, where you can vote for it. You can vote for lots of shows on Amazon, but this one has yet to appear. Here is a link to the site...

Dennis the Menace on TVSHOWSONDVD.COM

Joe (I hope I remember that right),

Thanks for the two pages from Dennis #46. One more favor. If you have larger scans (hopefully 150 dpi or larger), could you post them on ABPC (or email them to me and I will).

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by Jon

Joe (I hope I remember that right),

Thanks for the two pages from Dennis #46. One more favor. If you have larger scans (hopefully 150 dpi or larger), could you post them on ABPC (or email them to me and I will).

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks again, Joe,

Jon

Thought I'd take a break from the comic stuff before posting

the index for the regular series. I am currently blown away

by the incredible depth of merchandising that Dennis has

undergone during the last half century. Many pages back,

we all were dazzled by Mark's Dennis display case back on

Page 18 of this thread. That being said, I'd like to post some

interesting Dennis-related collectibles. I am going to use Mark's

excellent article from the September 12, 1997, issue of TOY SHOP,

entitled MAKING MISCHIEF: COLLECTING DENNIS THE

MENACE, as a reference for the dates on some of these

items.

First here is the Kellog's Dennis the Menace spoon from 1960,

and a pretty nicely preserved one at that...

847787-dscn8458.jpg

847787-dscn8458.jpg.60fff52ac9b54196a6d299d466afa15b.jpg

Here is the Fun Pack opened up: This item is kind of

bizarre when we consider what a "kid-oriented" comic

Dennis seems to be. This product clearly is not marketed

for kids. Cocktail napkins and matches and ashtrays??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

847810-napkins2.jpg

847810-napkins2.jpg.b255a98484ddd1f8b8bae56ffe5512a1.jpg