• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,446 posts in this topic

Boy, it's been dead here recently... I guess we're all in a line at the bookstore waiting for The Complete Dennis The Menace to come out...

Fred Hembeck has another Dennis item in his blog here. Scroll down to the August 20th, 2005 entry. He's briefly talking about Dennis the Menace #7 (Marvel), cover featuring Spider-Kid!

Hasn't been much happenin' - but I check this board nearly every day.

Has anybody purchased the Complete Dennis yet?

I saw a post on another board that said it was out - but the poster had purchased it at a comics store (strange if Diamond says the book is being shipped this week).

Depending on what this current hurricane does (I live in Florida), I will be checking book stores in our area on Saturday.

I picked it up last night at my comic shop (I preordered it).

It looks good. It even has a little red ribbon bookmark.

I haven't read it yet (too much going on last night), but I did leaf through it. I do remember quite a few of the cartoons, I guess from the old Dennis The Menace and More Dennis The Menace paperbacks by Avon.

The back cover says something about reprinting the complete "panels" of this comic strip, so I guess they have no current plans to reprint the Sunday strips (boo).

Glad to see people are still hanging around here. I've been caught up in a lot of cool stuff this summer: selling one of my houses off, traveling, catching up with friends, spending tons of time with my girlfriend, writing, working out, etc. I really thought I'd be working hard at the Dennis stuff during my two months off, but I actually did very little. Summer is just too good a thing to spend behind a computer. Got some cool stuff on eBay, though, that I want to share and have noticed a marked increase in Dennis collectors on eBay that is astonsihing. I'm wondering if this thread has gotten people into it. If it has, I have cost myself a lot of money! I am working on indexing the regular series still. Now that I'm back at work after two months off, I'm back in the "work mode," so will be back to posting lots shortly. I said I had years worth of stuff to post at one point, and I meant it. After I finish this message, I am going to log into Amazon to order the Dennis book. I also intend to write a review on Amazon about it when I'm done with the book.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Joe

Good to see you back CBG. Glad your summer is so relaxing.

You can look at the increase in Dennis collecting two ways. Of course, it means you'll be paying more for items you need - but the value of the items you already have are going up, too!

As we know that AW was definitely involved in the production of the Sunday strips - I'm hoping we get those included in these reprints at some point. Those also have been the strips that have been seen least since their original publication.

I know the Collected Dennis is already out in comic book stores - has anybody seen it in a regular book store? (The comic book stores in my neck of the woods are abysmal when it comes to anything that's not Marvel/DC super-hero related.)

I did not find it that hard-to-find - especially if you were not looking specifically for the first printing. The story inside was reprinted in the regular Dennis series at just about the same time.

BTW, the Collected Dennis is only available in comic book shops right now. The general book stores are still scheduled to get it in early September (I checked at my local Books-a-Million yesterday).

OK I' velooked at them both and cannot tell any difference between the two covers. Is there one?

I'M scanning Dennis #9 (my earliest Dennis right now and hope to post it on ABPC tomorrow (Monday). That will make

11 12 14 18 24 27 31 33 34 36-41 45 46 posted by me in the past few months.

Others have posted: 1 8 15 16 19-23 26 28 30 32 35 42 68 69

I still have to scan and post: 9 29 43 44 53

This means we just need 2-7 10 13 17 25 to get all the Wiseman issues

(1-43 53 68 69)

I'm hoping the experts in this thread can help solve an argument I'm having with some of my English colleagues, who insist that Dennis the Menace was an English creation, which obviously doesn't sound right to me, since Hank Ketcham was the creator and he was American.

But they just pulled this off wikipedia (which I know is not always accurate, but I'm curious whether it's true and if so how can this be, or did Hank simply launch 2 slightly different characters simultaneously?):

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Redirected from Dennis The Menace)

Dennis the Menace could refer to one of two cartoon characters. In one of

the strangest coincidences in cartoon history, both characters premiered in

comic strip form in the same week, one in the United States , and one in the

United Kingdom. Both feature a boy with a tendency to rule breaking,

although the tone of the two cartoons is rather different. The US Dennis

tends to cause trouble more by accident, whilst the UK version is generally

straightforwardly malicious:

Hey, Tim - that little blurb tells it like it is. The UK Dennis the Menace is a completely different character by a completely different guy. When the American Dennis the Menace appears in print over in the UK, he is called several different names: Dennis, Just Dennis, and even The Pickle. I have some English reprints I could make scans of if you're really interested. So the answer is that the American Dennis that is the subject of this thread is obviously an American creation, and the other is a British. To see what I'm talking about, go to eBay, put "Dennis the Menace" in as a search, and about 500 items typically appear - about two-thirds are the US Dennis, and one-third the UK Dennis. My understanding is that they both were copyrighted so close to each other in the early 1950s that neither would appear in the other country unless it was under a different name.

Here is the UK guy, which we never see in the US due to copyright agreements and the obvious popularity of our own Dennis character:

915416-uk.jpg

Hope this settles it.

Joe

915416-uk.jpg.570c802a58ffd26b4f473527084ca33e.jpg

thanks Joe, I knew I'd get an answer here. thumbsup2.gif How bizarre, the UK version looks more like a Don Martin drawing. It seems incomprehensible to me that 2 completely separate characters could've been named Dennis the Menace and brought to public at the same time. Amazing.

Hey, Tim - that little blurb tells it like it is. The UK Dennis the Menace is a completely different character by a completely different guy. When the American Dennis the Menace appears in print over in the UK, he is called several different names: Dennis, Just Dennis, and even The Pickle. I have some English reprints I could make scans of if you're really interested. So the answer is that the American Dennis that is the subject of this thread is obviously an American creation, and the other is a British. To see what I'm talking about, go to eBay, put "Dennis the Menace" in as a search, and about 500 items typically appear - about two-thirds are the US Dennis, and one-third the UK Dennis. My understanding is that they both were copyrighted so close to each other in the early 1950s that neither would appear in the other country unless it was under a different name.

Here is the UK guy, which we never see in the US due to copyright agreements and the obvious popularity of our own Dennis character:

915416-uk.jpg

Hope this settles it.

Joe

Great job, Joe! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif