• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,457 posts in this topic

No problem - I was just logging in to start posting some Dennis stuff - the first in a long time.

Myriad Dennis the Menace records have appeared over the decades. The earliest ones I've seen are from 1954. The first one is issued by Columbia Records, Catalog #403 PV, and is a 78 rpm. Singing is by Jeffrey Clay and Claire Segrave.

915464-col403playtimedennis78rpm.jpg

915464-col403playtimedennis78rpm.jpg.bf8c7eb32d772ded72352f2243640b57.jpg

Also from 1960, Jay North entered a double career as a singer. This 45 of him singing "Little Boy Blues" does not come around too often. Jay North actually appeared for a singing gig on the Ed Sullivan show. He had an album out as well, and I will post a scan of that soon.

915510-1960jn45.jpg

915510-1960jn45.jpg.93c247210d4d50b98d06734c745d460c.jpg

OK I' velooked at them both and cannot tell any difference between the two covers. Is there one?

looks like some minor coloring difference (or sloppy printing?) -- e.g., the yellow area under the M in Menace.

Jack

Here's another record I saw on ebay, from 1959:

916600-DennisRecord1959.JPG

Joe, do you own a copy of this record?

This is the one I owned as a kid. I loved this record! It has a Dennis the Menace "theme" song that bears no relation to the one used on the Jay North TV series (I believe this record preceded the TV show by a year or so).

Hope everyone had a wonderful summer! I'm about to leave for vacation in a couple of days, but I wanted to post this eBay auction that I found for another Dennis savings bond printing block:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-DENNIS-THE-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you bid on it, GOOD LUCK!! takeit.gif

916600-DennisRecord1959.JPG

Joe, do you own a copy of this record?

This is the one I owned as a kid. I loved this record! It has a Dennis the Menace "theme" song that bears no relation to the one used on the Jay North TV series (I believe this record preceded the TV show by a year or so).

Bill, sorry to take so long to respond to your question. I've been installing a new computer, scanner, etc., plus school's back in, and I've been caught up in the hurricane coverage. Glad to see you survived it in Florida.

I actually have two copies of this record and will be glad to send you one for free if you want it. Just pm me with your address if you want it. Here's a scan of mine:

924140-recorda.gif

924140-recorda.gif.54598b7f980533077ab23342b41b4ef3.gif

Here's a scan of the back. Contents on the record just say "Dennis the Menace Part 1" with "Part 2" on the back. Interestingly enough, one record is yellow and the other is black with a blue label. Different printings? They both say Copyright 1959. I wonder if there's anyone who knows the answers to all the questions about the Dennis universe...

924144-recordab.gif

924144-recordab.gif.6123e772dfd5e4873de81a6e61f70e56.gif

I still haven't finished reading it; I'm about 3/4 the way through. But I do like what I've seen so far. Several quite funny ones. I finally got a scanner recently, so I'll have to show a couple of samples when I get some time.

One thing I did find interesting: There is a recurring panel of Dennis on Christmas morning surrounded by a mountain of toys around a Christmas tree, saying "IS THIS ALL?". It turns out that tradition goes all the way back; yep 1951-12-25 started that gag.

I have seen a couple of reviews so far, both positive:

Newsarama

ComicBookResources (near the end).