• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,457 posts in this topic

Happy New Year All!!!

I was checking for foreign DTM stuff, and ran across the page below:

http://histclo.hispeed.com/lit/us/lus-dm.html

If a request box comes up when the link is opened, keep hitting cancel 3 times.

Meanwhile, I am on the trail of some foreign copies of the comics from a very

good shop in Eindhoven.

The owner was very nice and friendly. He only had a few books in stock, but said he would look in the old, old, very old boxes, for any DTM. I hope to see him on Tuesday.

From what I have seen so far, the European reprints seem to lose some color and detail.

It is fun comparing the original words with the translated ones.

I'll try and scan the books next week when we get back in California.

JRW

Edited by ttw

To share one Euro-Dennis with you and get that rolling, here is a British Dennis publication from 1962. I quoted below what I shared several months back to save myself from retyping, but here is one of the Dennis books. Notice he is called Just Dennis, as opposed to Dennis the Menace, since there is the British Dennis the Menace the American one is in a copyright conflict with. This book is a high quality hardback with full-color reprints of the American comics. Cover art looks like it is British as it looks completely unlike anything I've seen here in the U.S.

1049413-justdennisnew.JPG

When the American Dennis the Menace appears in print over in the UK, he is called several different names: Dennis, Just Dennis, and even The Pickle...My understanding is that they both were copyrighted so close to each other in the early 1950s that neither would appear in the other country unless it was under a different name.

Here is the UK guy, which we never see in the US due to copyright agreements and the obvious popularity of our own Dennis character:

915416-uk.jpg

1049413-justdennisnew.JPG.2e79975ba39a06eef53af441ebdc7de3.JPG

The GCD has several levels of authority to add information. Only a handful of people are authorized to create new series. A few more people can edit existing entries and approve pending indexes. Indexers (of which I am one) can reserve and index any book that isn't already indexed or reserved by anyone else (final approval by an editor is required). And anyone with Internet access can submit a missing cover scan. The entire GCD is a volunteer effort.

Anyone can apply to be an indexer by following the directions on this page: http://www.comics.org/docs/reserved.html . Note that it could take a while to be approved (they actually lost my first attempt).

If you want to follow discussions about comics indexing at the GCD, you can join the "main" list from this URL: http://lists.comics.org/mailman/listinfo/cdbl . There, you can read the archives and follow all the recent discussions we've had on Dennis comics, including the publishers of them.

Most of the Dennis paperbacks are not yet on GCD, probably just due to the sheer volume of them. Ray, who is at least an editor, obviously has the details already, as he showed above. The cartoon compilations are allowed, per the definition of "comic book" that the site has.

Most of the Dennis books currently are reserved to be indexed; the only ones that aren't at the moment are Complete DTM and Very Best of DTM (Hallden/CBS).

Allen, thanks for all the information. thumbsup2.gif

The holidays kicked my butt, timewise - - in a good way grin.gif - - but I did finally get over to the GCD and scanned in Dennis #142 and #143. That means all 166 issues of the regular series have now been scanned. 893applaud-thumb.gif Quite an accomplishment and no need to do it here anymore.

Dennis Grand Comic Database Link

I also scanned in Friends #24 and Bonus #191. The site seemed to stop working after that and wouldn't take my scan of Giant #44, so I will return to it soon and scan in all remaining issues I can find since I have them all handy at the moment. The digests may require some more time for me to get to.

Hope you and your family had a great holiday.

Joe

From the link above:

Just William

"HBC could not help but notice certain similarities between Dennis and England's Just William. They both symbolize the average boy. William in the 1920s-30s and Dennis in the 1950s although he is still going strong today in new hands. Both had hard-pressed parents. Dennis had Joey as a best pal and William had the Outlaws. The gratest nemesis that both faced was of course the fairer gender--Margaret and Violet Elizabeth Bot. When the American TV sitcom was shown in Britain, it was even shown as Just Dennis. "

JRW

Edited by ttw

Thanks, Joe. It looks like you got Giant #44 uploaded now, too.

Over the holidays, I got the rest of my Bonus Magazine Series uploaded, and all of my Pocket Full of Fun issues. That just leaves 5 digests (Friends Series #43 and Pocket Full of Fun #7, 26-28), none of which I have. Also needed is and Joey #1 (1961), which (as I mentioned earlier) I do have, but it's a poor copy (a chunk out of the cover), so if anyone wants to upload their copy, do it before Monday (if nobody has by then, I'll go ahead and upload my scan). There's also a couple of paperbacks that are listed that need covers (I haven't found my box of paperbacks recently).

Then we have to wait until they fix the Bonus Magazine Series two #95s problem listing, and list the promos (I've got scans ready for all of that). That would be everything!

Yes, Allen, I did get the #44 scanned in. Thanks for the list of other needed scans. I have them all, so I just need to get to those digests which are at my other place for the time being. GCD sent me a bunch of info about how to go about indexing, so I will read through it and get started with the project. By the way, you did an amazing job with all those scans on the database. There are not too many people who have complete or near complete runs of these titles - let alone in decent shape. If there's any issues you're looking for to complete your set, Allen, let me know, as I have a ton of doubles.

That being said, for anyone reading this, if you have a want list of needed Dennis issues, I just went through a stack of about 400 Dennis comics looking for upgrades and have a ton of high grade issues. Just send me a pm with needed Dennis issues and desired grades, and I'll get back to you. I will put up the remainder of the books on eBay in about a month, but I just wanted to give first dibs to all the great collectors here first.

From the link above:

Just William

"HBC could not help but notice certain similarities between Dennis and England's Just William. They both symbolize the average boy. William in the 1920s-30s and Dennis in the 1950s although he is still going strong today in new hands. Both had hard-pressed parents. Dennis had Joey as a best pal and William had the Outlaws. The gratest nemesis that both faced was of course the fairer gender--Margaret and Violet Elizabeth Bot. When the American TV sitcom was shown in Britain, it was even shown as Just Dennis. "

JRW

Hey, JRW, I thought you may be interested in this auction that features your dad's art. The seller is a well-known Dennis collector, and I've communicated with him via email and purchased items from him many times, so if you don't have this, go for it:

Al Wiseman Shoe Kit Art

Here is his description:

"A scarce bottle of Griffin “Scuff Cover” Shoe Liquid, with box artwork by noted Dennis the Menace comic book artist Al Wiseman. (See pics below.) Not dated; early 1960’s?? The box measures approx. 4 1/2” high by 2” by 1 1/2”. Inside the box is a glass bottle of shoe polish. (There is no Wiseman art on the bottle inside the box.) Unique!"

1051682-1shoe.jpg

1051682-1shoe.jpg.6bceb1091d41090d4f27e744686a2667.jpg

Hey Joe, I just got back and checked the above.

I think Bill Alger ended up getting those.

I'll have to keep a sharper lookout at garage sales etc.

Well folks, I arrived home to California to find a large square, skinny cardboard package.

Inside was the original DTM page Joe bought and sent to me.

Just feeling the Strathmore paper brought back some memories. I can remember going with my father to pick up his art supplies. and those packages of Strathmore were pretty heavy.

You can still see some light blue pencil marks from the tracing paper.

Very special.

Thanks again Joe.

JRW

JRW, I'm glad to hear it arrived safely! Also, I hope it is something you and your family can cherish for future generations to come. Your dad is truly one of the greatest artists in the history of the medium drawing one of the most popular AND best-selling comics in the history of the medium. He received virtually no recognition working as a ghost, and his recognition is long overdue. Giving you this page is the least any of us collectors can do. It is really unimaginable where Dennis the Menace would be today without your father's hard work.

Around the time that page was up, I came across an item that has absolutely amazed me. Yet ANOTHER obscure Dennis giveaway surfaced on eBay. foreheadslap.gif Until I saw it I was unaware of its existence. It is not dated at all, but judging by the paper and the stories reprinted within, I'd say it is definitely from the 1950s. Here is the cover:

1059514-posner.jpg

1059514-posner.jpg.9c0e5769034eab284a42a57d957011bd.jpg

There is no indicia or no date anywhere, but there are old Dennis comics reprinted within: Dennis stories "Fun House" and "Dennis and the Lemon," a two-page Ramon Sanchez text story entitled "With Cape and Sword," a Screamy Mimi story entitled the same, two more Dennis stories, "Star-Gazing" and "Post No Bills," and a Dennis coloring page.

1059522-posner1.jpg

1059522-posner1.jpg.baab2b3589ef7446525ddc5befc297c4.jpg

Over the holidays, I got the rest of my Bonus Magazine Series uploaded, and all of my Pocket Full of Fun issues. That just leaves 5 digests (Friends Series #43 and Pocket Full of Fun #7, 26-28), none of which I have. Also needed is and Joey #1 (1961), which (as I mentioned earlier) I do have, but it's a poor copy (a chunk out of the cover), so if anyone wants to upload their copy, do it before Monday (if nobody has by then, I'll go ahead and upload my scan).

All done!

I will submit requests for the individual book compilations. Also, there are DC variants of two of the Marvel digests, plus there is the new giveaway I just uncovered that will need to be worked in. Finally, what about the different printings of, say, Giant #6, #7, #8, and #9? Any ideas about that?

A sad day for many, the great cartoonist Eldon Dedini passed away today.

A lot of you know Eldon's work from his cartoons in Playboy.

Eldon and his wife were close friends with my parents.

In reference to DTM, Eldon referred to my father as a 'master forger'. He meant that as a compliment.

I always loved Eldon's work.

He will be missed.

JRW

I found this newspaper article tucked inside a copy of Dennis the Menace Happy Half-Pint (Random House, 1961 Hardback) that I purchased on Sunday (at Second Story Books in Rockville; Joe probably knows where that is). It likely was published in the Washington Post, probably in July 1969 (on the back it mentions that the Hornet aircraft carrier is going to pick up the astronaunts from Apollo 11 and will be there on Tuesday, two days before Apollo 11 arrives there). The text sounds somewhat familiar, like it was published in one of those "letters" that Dennis would write in the comics. But I don't have time to search it out.

1069493-DennisMoon.jpg

The front cover of this book is wrinkled a little (like water got on it), but the pages are nice. The inside cover and first page are somewhat stained from the newspaper article.

I also got a copy of Dennis The Menace... Who, Me? (Random House, 1962 hardback). Its cover is pretty good, just some wear on the edges and a circle where a price sticker must have ben. Definitely not bad for $3.20 each (normally $5 but they are having a sale on all books this month).

1069493-DennisMoon.jpg.ec1b9893ea400b080e25c897d5d1e314.jpg

You have to click on the attachment then copy the URL given to it, then go back to the post and on the upper right hand-side select Edit. Once you see your post on the bottom right hand side there is the choice for Image. Select that and paste the link into the dialog box. This will insert the image in the post as here -

1071153-DennisMenaceSunday03May1981.jpg

I found this newspaper article tucked inside a copy of Dennis the Menace Happy Half-Pint (Random House, 1961 Hardback) that I purchased on Sunday (at Second Story Books in Rockville; Joe probably knows where that is). It likely was published in the Washington Post, probably in July 1969 (on the back it mentions that the Hornet aircraft carrier is going to pick up the astronaunts from Apollo 11 and will be there on Tuesday, two days before Apollo 11 arrives there). The text sounds somewhat familiar, like it was published in one of those "letters" that Dennis would write in the comics. But I don't have time to search it out.

1069493-DennisMoon.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, Allen -- it's something I've never seen and will copy for the archives. The dramatic irony in the headline is funny, and it also reminds me of the Jackie Gleason line, which makes the gag work on several levels.

Enclosed is the 05 May 1981 Sunday Dennis strip. I have a lot more if anyone is interested.

We're ALWAYS interested in Dennis Sunday strips here. Thanks for posting this and...

Welcome to the Boards! thumbsup2.gif

Glad to hear you have some more Sundays to post. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Locating and dating the Sundays seems to be the most elusive aspect of being a Dennis completionist, for me anyway, cause even when I can locate a small stack, they rarely have the dates on them. Hopefully one day we'll come across someone who has them all and knows the dates. Until then...