• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,431 posts in this topic

Hi -

I joined the Collector's Society about 18 hours ago because of this Dennis thread. Before I get to the premium books, I should introduce myself. I've enjoyed Dennis since I was a kid. Prized possession in my collection is a comic that Hank Ketcham autographed for me and the note he wrote to me. I am presently about 25 books away from having all the various Dennis runs in hand. I've really enjoyed looking at this Dennis thread, and its got me inspired to get back to work on those last few books.

My claims to fame, if these actually count as claims to fame and are still shown in the Overstreet Guide, are these additions to the Guide:

the Fun Fest series (2 books, #10 and 11)

the Big Bonus series (2 books, #16 and 17)

Note added about the main run that identify #'s 156-166 as "Fun Fest" in the main Dennis series

Note added about the title change between Bonus Series and Big Bonus Series at #174

1975 revision of Dennis Takes a Poke at Poison added to the list

Enough introduction!! To the matter at hand.

There has been discussion in this threat about some of the premium comics, and dates of issue. I am aware of a few printing years beyond those I've seen mentioned, and wanted to share that.

I have examples of the Dirt/Soil Conservation comic printed in the following years: 1959, 1968, 1969.

I have examples of the Takes a Poke at Poison comic printed in the following years: 1961, 1974, 1975, 1981, 1987.

Lastly, I guess I'll end with a question. Part of my collection has been to locate examples of Dennis comics in foreign language. So far I've found examples in Dutch, Spanish, French, Chinese, German, and one from Norway. What are the other languages and/or countries in which Dennis was published?

Thanks - David B.

I second that. It would be great to see and hear about some of those.

First, welcome to the boards, David. It's always great to have new collectors joining in.

The official word from Hank Ketcham Enterprises is that Dennis is published in 19 languages. A shame is that in his own language he hasn't had his own comic book in over two decades. (Thanks a lot, Marvel. )

The different languages represented in Dennis comics I have are the following:

1) English (duh!)

2) Italian

3) Dutch

4) German

5) Swedish

6) Mexican/ Spanish

And those European ones I got from good old Jim Wiseman earlier this year.

We saw a Hebrrew (7) one a couple pages back, plus you said you had a Chinese (8) and Norweigan (9).

My guesses for some of the other ones would be

10) Portuguese

11) Danish

12) Swiss

13) Russian

14) Japanese

15) Korean

16-19 would be anyone's guess. Possibly Finland and Belgium have them translated, or the Czech Republic, etc. Pure speculation on my part.

As far as those giveaways go, we posted them all throughout the thread. I would rank the most difficult in this order:

1) Pumpkin Festival (one known copy)

2) Dr Posner's Scientific Shoes (I've seen one, period)

3) On Safety (one was on ebay about a week ago, not too hard)

4) Away We Go Calydryl with a band-aid still attached

The rest are pretty easy. Personally I would be interested to see if anyone has tracked down each of the different printings of Poison and Dirt giveaways. Poison had two different versions but Dirt was the same one with a different date as far as I could tell. Maybe some research is in order.

David, I will pm you about missing issues and hope I can help you out. I just sold a ton of doubles on eBay. ( Even Bill bid on my Dennis Giant #1.) There's still a lot left, though.

I have a two or three foot stack. I've sold about $500 worth over the last month and am sick of scanning them. I can make a list if you want. Are you interested only in Wiseman issues? Tell you what, Bill, I will send you a pm.

Volume 3 of Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace, 1955-1956 has been announced by Fantagraphics, for November.

This third volume of Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace publishes every single panel strip from 1955 and 1956 in one handsome and thick hardcover volume. Ketcham’s legendary pen and ink work achieves its full flowering in this volume as do the various situations and themes that Ketcham would return to: the first “split screen” (two-panel strip) that Ketcham would occasionally use; Dennis actually flirts with a girl; he rats Dad out to Mom; exacerbates confrontations between Dad and the police; and stymies hapless baby-sitters. Oh, and Mr. Wilson finally comes front-and-center as Dennis’ #1 victim.

Also formally announced is the box-case version containing the first two volumes (for $39.95!).

See this link: The Pulse

Where have any Dennis the Menace Sunday strips been reprinted?

The only ones I know of are in these issues of Dennis the Menace Pocket Full of Fun:

#8: strips from 1958-1962

#11: from 1958, 1965, and 1966

#15: from 1966-1967

#21: from 1970-1971

#25: from 1971-1972

#35: from 1971-1972

#40: from 1966, 1967, 1969, and 1972

#46: from 1974

(all based on the Copyright years listed in the indicia).

Have any other Sunday strips been reprinted? (Not onesies, twosies).

Hi there,

Although I'm not a serious collector, this seems like the proper place to find an answer to my question. A long time ago a relative had a Dennis comic that described the Dennis playground at El Estero park in Monterey. When I was stationed there in the 70's I stumbled onto the playground quite by accident and had a major deja vue event. I eventually returned to live in the area and have wondered about that comic ever since. To date, I've been unable to find any information about, but I'm guessing someone here will know which issue it was.

Thanks

Bill

Salinas Bill,

The Grand Comics Database lists this issue:

Dennis the Menace Giant #4

Pines, Summer, 1957, cover price $.25 , 100 pages.

The Real Dennis the Menace Playground

(Text Article , 2 pages)

Synopsis:

An article on the "Dennis the Menace Playground" built in Monteray, California. It was designed by Hank Ketcham and sculptor Arch Garner and opened in 1956. As of this writing (October, 2004) it is still there.

Thanks, This would be around the right time period, though the comic I remember had a story (with artwork) showing Dennis playing at the playground itself. In the last panel he says something like "Hey kids, If you're ever in Monterey come to the real playground!"

The playground is indeed still there, although the city has replaced many of the original slides and other features with more generic and (legally) safer ones.

Bill

Thanks, This would be around the right time period, though the comic I remember had a story (with artwork) showing Dennis playing at the playground itself. In the last panel he says something like "Hey kids, If you're ever in Monterey come to the real playground!"

Bill

Along with the 2 page text story, there is a 9 page comic story....I think for sure its the one you remember. And it IS indeed from Dennis Giant #4.

Here's a link to the complete 9 page story, for those who want to read it: Dennis Park

(Thanks to fellow Dennis message board member, 313, who scanned this book earlier this year!)

Escape, Thanks again for posting the link to the story. It brought the story of the Dennis Playground full circle for me. I first saw the comic when I was probably 5 or 6 years old, found the real playground by accident at around 20, shared the park with my grand-nephew and his grandmother (my sister) at 48 and now have read the story again at 53! I can't wait to hear what sis says when I email the story to her!

Bill

Seems crazy to be responding to your post over a month after you asked the question, but the only place I have ever seen the Sundays reprinted is in the Pocket Full of Fun digests. Even more, the ones that are reprinted in there are not the old Wiseman Sundays from the 1950s but seem to be mostly Owen Fitzgerald reprints from the 1960s.

By the way, it was great meeting you at the con this past Sunday, Allen, and knowing how much you like those old A&W root beer items, I will post a few that I've been meaning to post for a while.

First is this large 6-foot long banner. In my opinion, far and away the nicest piece of Dennis advertising I have seen to date. This closed at $430 on eBay, and NO collector I know has seen this before.

1396208-AWrootbeersign.jpg

1396208-AWrootbeersign.jpg.6a474929577ae1d113e5b92d0a157a81.jpg

Next up is a pinback I picked up from another collector. Again, a beautiful piece. It's a flicker button, and one of the cooler ones I've ever seen. I would have to say that A&W really had the nicest Dennis products of any of the many companies we've talked about here that used him as a promotional character. This is another one and only item. I've seen it only once period. Insanely rare!

The first image is of Dennis drinking root beer, then the next is of him saying, "Good!" I couldn't get the second image to show up on the scanner.

1396222-awbutton1.gif

1396222-awbutton1.gif.d3cf458df325283d0af8074c2ff14449.gif

Finally, here's another A&W ad from a magazine. I believe that's four that we've uncovered so far.

1396228-awad.gif

For anyone interested, Suzy and I visited the Geppi Museum here in Maryland this past Saturday. The museum is overwhelming and amazing, and I have never seen anything like it as far as its display of pop culture and comic items. Absolutely worth the visit!

As far as Dennis items go, there were two that I found:

1) a box of Dennis napkins

2) a beautiful copy of Dennis #1

There may be more, and I plan to visit the museum a few more times to take it all in.

1396228-awad.gif.0768210668d146ef9938d6e140556db7.gif