• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
5 5

1,679 posts in this topic

Very cool, Jim! So if I send you my Dennis Giant #5, can I get a signature?

And by the way, everybody, I have some good news: I just heard back from Ron Ferdinand, one of the current Dennis artists, and he said he is currently reading the thread, enjoying it, and is in the process of inviting other Dennis artists to join us. Apparently he is in touch with Frank Hill and Lee Holley.

Joe

Remember, anything that I drew was then traced over, and then inked by AW.

Now that I look at what I did, I can tell dad fixed them up here and there.

It was VERY difficult for my father to draw sloppy.

Hang onto #5, we may go to San Diego for the big meet there.

Teresa and I have never been to a comic convention before, but she likes San Diego.

Cool that Ron, Frank and Lee might be here. I still have a lot to learn.

JRW

Edited by Wiseguy

Jon - First of all, my sympathy on your father.

To address one of your comments:

To be fair, Kirby was using not only full page panels, but two page spreads in Captain America in the forties. And others also used them in the forties.

First, I wasn't really claiming that Wiseman invented the idea. But Wiseman was using them extensively in the 1950's - in a humor book, years before the technique was revived by Kirby at Marvel. Kirby was praised at the time like he had created the technique. My remark was fueled more by Wiseman's work being totally ignored by most super-hero fans (I'm a guy who has an extensive Kirby collection. Trust me, I love the guy's work.)

Second, Kirby's Captain America double page spreads in the Golden Age were invariably splash pages. I will stand firm in my assertion that Wiseman was among the first to use full page spreads in the middle of stories - not on the first page (or in the case of Cap - pages one and two).

Okay, everybody, here is the revised and updated Dennis the Menace Giant index, going from no number to 100. If there is any error, please let me know!

Joe

#nn (no number) Giant Vacation Special

New Stories: Awaaay We Go!; All Wet; Paddling Along; Bedtime Story; Dennis Muscles In; Heat Wave; Help the Police; Screamy Mimi (non-Dennis story); Alone with Dennis (intro his favorite babysitter Melodie); Dennis Vs. The Circus;

Dennis the Space Menace; Beware of Dennis

Publisher: Standard, Summer 1955

Notes: 100 pages, all Wiseman art

#nn Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Dennis Goes Christmas Shopping; UpSet Mail; Santa's Helper; Dear Santa Dennis Letters to Santa (letters); Punky (non-Dennis story); Up A Tree; Dennis Visits Santa Claus; Merry Christmas

Publisher: Standard, Winter 1955

#2. Giant Vacation Special

New Stories: They're Off!; No Children; Rough Seas; Something Fishy; Things Are Ruff at the Wilsons; Screamy Mimi Meow (non-Dennis story); Dennis in Washington; No Vacation from Dennis; Full Speed Ahead!

Publisher: Pines, Summer 1956

Notes: 100 pages with all Wiseman art. 1st Pines issue. Dennis in Washington is most likely the prototype for the future travel issue.

#3. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Dennis A Christmas Angel; Shopping Secrets; A Ruff Christmas; Sing a Song of Christmas A Pocket Fulla Pie; The Night Before Christmas; Too Many Santas; He's Been Here!

Publisher: Pines, Winter 1956

#4. Giant Vacation Special

New Stories: Happy Holidaze; California Here We Come; Ruffled Feelings; Let's Get the Show on the Road; Dennis and Harry Zona; It Happened in Monterey; Kid Stuff; The Big Sur-Prize

Publisher: Pines, Summer 1957

Notes: 100 pages, all Wiseman art, last story is prologue to Dennis in Hawaii

#5. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: I Want a Bike...; Whiskery Trickery; A Christmas Carol by Dickens (text with illustrations); Tree's a Crowd; How Not to Decorate a Tree; Dennis Christmas Cards; Santa Vs The Sandman; It's Christmas!

Publisher: Pines, Winter 1957

Notes: 100 pages, all Wiseman art. Letters by Al Wiseman's son, Jim.

#6. In Hawaii

New Story told in Chapters: We're Goin' to Honey-Lulu; Dennis on Wahoo; Holy Cats; Pearl Harbor; The Garden Island; Big Island (Dennis Postcards); Finally a Maikai Luau...

Publisher: Pines

First Printing: Summer 1958. Banner at top of cover says, "Dennis the Menace Giant Vacation Special," and box reads, "100 pages..." Second printing most likely occurred during the same summer with no notations on it.

Third Printing: Summer 1959. Same as first printing but banner at top reads, "3rd Large Printing," and box reads, "Congratulations, 50th State."

Fourth Printing: Summer 1960. Same as first printing but banner at top reads, "4th Large Printing," and box reads, "Congratulations, 50th State."

Fifth Printing: Summer 1962. Same as first printing but banner at top reads, "5th Large Printing," and box reads, "Congratulations, 50th State."

Notes: 100 pages; lots of games, puzzles, Hawaiian words, how to hula dance; story by Fred Toole; art by Wiseman. Last Pines giant. Note in Pearl Harbor section reads, "For security reasons, we cannot publish pictures of everything Dennis saw in Pearl Harbor"; this note is in all printings of this issue and in subsequent reprints.

#6. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Dennis Acts Up; Shop-Pop-Popping; Season's Greetings; The Party Smarty; A Puppet Tale; Save Our Santa; Santa's Village; Merry Christmas! (different from story of same title from second nn)

Publisher: Hallden, Winter 1958

Notes: First Hallden Giant, 100 pages, all Wiseman art. Ad for Dennis Hand Puppets on back cover.

#7. In Hollywood

New Story told in Chapters: It All Began When; Movie Groovy; Alice in Glamorland; Meanwhile Back at the Wilsons; Dennis Postcards; Places to Go ... Things to See In and Around Los Angeles (text & map); Timeout for Marineland; 1 page Marineland feature called Here's Some Funny Fishes We Saw at Marineland; Father Knows Best; Still Pics Plug Flicks; Chasen Around; But All Good Things Must...

Publisher: Hallden 1959 (states year only)

Back Cover: Inside back cover is a publicity shot with Hank Ketcham, Herbert Anderson, Jay North, and Joseph Kearns promoting the tv show. Back exterior cover has ads for Best of Dennis #1 and Dennis in Hawaii 3rd printing.

Notes: Inside front cover states this is writer Fred Toole's second ever Dennis work (after Hawaii). All Al Wiseman art. Mailman in story is named "Mr. Wiseman."

2nd Printing: Summer 1961 (arrival date May 13, 1961). Exact reprint of 1st printing except that back inside cover reprints four black & white Dennis dailies and back cover has ads for Dennis Television Special and Dennis Goes to Camp (no numbers shown).

#8. In Mexico

New Story told in Chapters: La Cucaracha; Around Town; Rocky Going; Toro!; So-Chee-Milko; The Story of Mexico (text with illustrations); Dennis...the Hacienda Ender; City of Silver; Mucho Gusto in Acapulco; King of the Castle; Rockin' the Boat; Guadalajara! Guadalajara!

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1960

Notes: Fred Toole writer; Al Wiseman artist. 100 pages.

Second Printing: Summer 1962

#9. Vacation Special: Goes to Camp

New Story told in Chapters: Tenting Tonight on the Old Camp Ground; Rise 'N' Shine; Special Mark Trail section on Camping Tips (non-Dennis feature); Dennis's letters home from camp (not a comic); Now We're Goin' Campin' Out; Horsing Around; Now Is the Day

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1961

Notes: 100 pages. Artist unknown but is not Wiseman. Back cover is the Official Pal Club Certificate.

Second Printing: Overstreet says it was printed Summer 1962. Does it exist? Most likely it was printed a second time during Summer 1961 and was not notated in the comic so that #16 is stated as the third printing.

#10. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Uncle Sam's Nephew Dennis; The Substitute Santa; Dennis's letters to Santa (no-comic); Wishbone Thinking; The Stories Behind the Christmas Carols (text); School for Santas; The Santa-Go-Round; Christmas Sur-Prize; And Finally the Big Day

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1961

Notes: 100 pages. Artist unknown.

#11. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Christmas Shocking; Dennis the Little Angel; I'm Dreaming of a Nice Christmas; The Juggler Boy A Christmas Legend (non-Dennis poem with illustrations); The Christmas Tree-tement; Sing Along with Joey; And Finally the Big Day (different from story of same title in Giant #10)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1962

Notes: Artist unknown. 1st giant to have The Cookie Jar on the inside front cover. Article tells story of a Dennis drawing made to help celebrate Christmas in Germany for U.S. soldiers stationed there.

#12. Triple Feature: 3 Books in 1

New Stories:

3 Joey Stories - Hide and Seek, Free Wheelin', Magic Money;

5 Margaret Stories - Square Dancing, School Days, The Kitty Catcher, Always a Lady; Margaret the Artist;

4 Mr. Wilson stories - Day of Pest, Fountain Frolics, Dream House, Pals All Over

Back Cover: Th Big Wind-Up

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1962

Notes: Wiseman art. Book is divided into 3 sections: one each for Joey, Margaret, and Mr. Wilson, and each is introduced by a frontspiece.

#13. The Best of Dennis the Menace

Reprints from regular series: Ghost Town; Junior Museum of Marin County; The Model Child; The Looth Tooth; Dennis Sleighs 'Em; All Balled Up; Tall Story; Strictly for the Birds; Vote for Sally; Short Cut; Texas Ranger; Fish Story (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Spring 1963

Note: All art by Wiseman. Special letter on inside cover from publisher thanking fans and stating it is their 10th anniversary publishing Dennis comics. Classic poses cover.

#14. And His Dog Ruff

New Stories: Putting on the Dog; A Ruff Day; A Bone to Pick; Movie Mischief; Garden Smarty; Do You Know These Kinds of Dogs? (text with illustrations); Ruff's Family Tree; How to Train Your Dog (text with illustrations); Ruff Treatment

Back Cover: Dream Dog

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963

Note: All art by Wiseman, 100 pages.

#15. In Washington, D.C.

New Stories told in Chapters: Welcome to Washington D.C.; Capitol Capers; Not Far From Washington (Jamestown / Williamsburg / Mount Vernon chapter); The White House; The Capitol; The FBI; Panic in the Pentagon

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963

Note: Wiseman art, 100 pages. "Dennis in Washington" story from Giant #2 is not reprinted at all in this issue. This issue is all new.

#16. Goes to Camp

Reprints Giant #9.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963.

Notes: Indica reads "3rd printing." Issue is exact page-for-page reprint of #9.

#17. And His Pal Joey

New Stories: To Beach His Own; The Joey-Sitter; Joey the Artist; Dennis and Joey and Momma Goose; Happy Mirthday; It Figures; Pajama Party; Up a Tree (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1963

Note: Date stamp on my copy reads "October 17, 1963," so that gives an indication of when "winter" issues were released.

#18. In Hawaii

Reprints Giant #6.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963.

Notes: An exact page-for-page reprint of Giant #6. Date stamp on this issue reads, "June 18, 1963."

#19. Giant Christmas Issue: Dennis in Christmas City

New Stories: Ding Dong Dennis; Santa's Surprise; Twelve Days of Christmas; No Christmas?; Dennis in Christmas City; Twas the Day Before Christmas; The Star Over Bethlehem

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1963

Note : Artist unknown

#20. Spring Special

New Stories: Spring Along with Dennis; Fairy 'Nuff; All Steemed Up [sic]; Seal Sale Success Story; Suits Me; A Bunny Funny; Happy Easter: Spring Has Sprung (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Spring 1964

Notes: All Wiseman art. Includes Dennis calendar.

#21. Best of Dennis the Menace

Reprints from regular series: Half-Pint Hombre; Joey (solo, no Dennis); School Can Be Ruff; The Tokyo Kid; H-2-Oh-Oh; Short & Sweet; Hold That Tiger; Miss Behavior; Yak Yak Yak Yak; The Last Straw; Joey (solo, no Dennis); The Case of the Soggy Doggies; Dig That Dennis; Between Dennis and the Deep Blue Sea; Down with Telebishion (back cover)

Notes: Mix of artists; some Wiseman.

#22. Television Special

New Stories: The Picnic; The Big Clean-Up; Muscling In; tv -script for "The Community Picnic follows the three comic stories; Tricky Viewing (back cover)

Note: Wiseman art throughout. Each story based on one of the tv episodes from the CBS series.

#23. In Hollywood

Reprints Giant #7.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1964

Notes: Exact text reprint of #7 except four black and white cartoons are on the insides of the front and back cover. They are different cartoons than appear on #7 2nd printing. Back cover displays ad for Giant #25 and #26. Story previously entitled "Father Knows Best" changes in this issue to "Father's Always Right."

#24. Goes to Camp

Reprints Giant #9.

Note: Indica states "4th printing." Page-for-page exact reprint of Giants #9 and #16.

#25. In Mexico

Reprints Giant #8.

Note: Exact page-for-page reprint of Giant #8, except cover states at top: "2nd Large Printing." It is actually the 3rd printing since #8 went through two printings.

#26. In Washington, D.C.

Reprints Giant #15

Note: Exact reprint of #15

#27. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Self-Service Santa; The Shook Cook; The Three Birds of King Herod: A Christmas Legend (poetry with illustrations); Jeepers Treepers; Feliz Navidad; 1965 Dennis Calendar; Mail Dis-Order; Window Wonderland

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1964

#28. Triple Feature

New Stories:

3 Mr. Wilson stories: The Good? Bad? Guy; Never Say Diet; Nice Fishin'.

2 Joey stories: One for the Money; Snow Business.

3 Margaret Stories: A Witsie Bit of Trouble; Museum Peace; Ballet Is Okay. Back cover: Triple Threat.

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1965

#29. Best of

Reprints from regular series: Let's Go Go Go-Kart; Dennis in the Scout-O-Rama; Groan-Up Dennis; Sprang Sprung Sprong Spring; Dennis and the Elephantom; Backtalk; Scrambled Shopping; The Plain Truth. Back Cover: The Slipperiest Gun in the West

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1965

Notes: No Wiseman art

#30. In Hawaii

Reprints Giant #6 & 18

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1965

Note: Exact reprint of #6 & 18, but cover says, "7th Large Printing" and "1965."

#31. All Year ‘Round

New Stories: January, February, March, April, May, June, Dennis Calendar, July, August, September, October, November, December

Publisher: Fawcett, Summer 1965

Note: All Wiseman art

#32. And His Pal Joey

Reprints Giant #17

#33. In California

New Story Told in Chapters: Welcome to California and Yosemite National Park; Gold Rush Country (illustrated one-page article); The Mother Lode; Things Are Jumping in Angels Camp; Sutter's Fort California; Lake Tahoe; And Finally San Francisco; And Then to Storyland

Note: All Wiseman art.

#34. And His Dog Ruff

Reprints Giant #14

#35. Christmas Special

New Stories: Shopping Around; As Yule Like It; A Christmas Quiz (text with illustrations); The Nation's Christmas Tree (text with illustrations); A Sombrero from Santa; 1966 Dennis Calendar; What's the Diff?; The Tree Spree; Hide and Speek; A Christmas Carol by George (Dickens) Wilson

Publisher: Fawcett, Winter 1965

#36. Spring Special

New Stories: A Spring-Ding; Rocky Going; Havin' a Ball; How to Draw (art lesson); Kite Kapades; Here's Your Dennis the Menace Almanac (text); Getting in the Act; Jokes; Attic Antics

Back Cover: Everything's Rosy

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1966

#37. Television Special

Reprints Giant #22

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1966

#38. In Mexico

Reprints Giant #8 and #25

Publisher: Fawcett, Summer 1966

Note: Cover says, "2nd Large Printing," but it is the fourth printing.

#39. Goes to Camp

Reprints Giant #9, #16, and #24.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1966

Note: Page-for-page exact reprint of Giants #9 and #16 and #24. 5th printing.

#40. In Washington, D.C.

Reprints Giant #15 and #26.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1966

Notes: 3rd printing. Page-for-page exact reprint of Giants #15 and #26.

#41. From A to Z

New Stories (one for each letter of the alphabet): Dennis & the Ants; & the Basketball; & the Cat; & the Dumbbells; & the Early Bird; & the Fireman; & the Goat; & the Hi-Fi; & the Ice Cream; & the Jumping Beans; & the Lake; & the Milkman; & the Nobody; & the Owl and the Pussycat; & the Quizzer; & the Restaurant; & the Sailors; & the Tea Party; & the Umbrella; & the Vegetables; & the Wilsons; & the X-Rays; & the Yo-Yo; & the Zoo.

Publisher: Fawcett, Summer 1966

Note: Wiseman art

#42. In Hollywood

Reprints Giant #7 and #23

Publisher: Hallden, Summer 1966

Notes: Exact reprint of #7 except four black and white cartoons are on the insides of the front and back cover. They are different cartoons than appear on #7 (2nd printing) and same as #23. Back cover displays ad for Giants #38 and #40. This is the fourth printing.

#43. Christmas Special

New Stories: Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells; Oh, Christmas Tree; 1967 Dennis Calendar; We Three Kings; Deck the Halls; God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen; And So On...Silent Night

Publisher: Fawcett, Winter 1966

Note: not Wiseman art

#44. Around the Clock

New Stories: 6 O'Clock Time to Hop; 8 a.m. We're Working Men; When It's Ten What Happens Then? Now It's Noon None Too Soon; Now It's Two What to Do?; Now It's Four, What's the Score?; Now It's Six, Time for Tricks; Is It 8? Aw, That's Not Late

Back Cover: The Cookie Jar: Which Clock Would You Want (inside cover); Time Out (exterior back cover)

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1967

Notes: No Wiseman art. Interior comic states, ""Printed in 43 countries, 700 papers, 14 languages."

#45. And His Pal Joey

Reprints Giant #17 and #32

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1967

Note: Is exact reprint of #17 & #32 but it does not include the last story from those giants, "Pajama Party." Third printing of this comic.

#46. Triple Feature

Reprints Giant #28

Publisher: Fawcett, Summer 1967

Notes: Exact reprint of #28 but excludes one Mr. Wilson story ("Nice Fishin") and one Joey story ("Snow Job").

#47. In California

Reprints Giant #33

Notes: Inside front cover features a map of where Dennis went in California. Inside back cover has a letter writing contest for readers to submit ideas for where Dennis should go next.

#48. Way Out Stories

New Stories: Away Way Out, Aladdin & His Magical Lamp and Dennis and His Magic TV; Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves and Dennis and the 40 Outlaws, Margaret Goldilocks & Dennis Charming; The Brave Little Tailor and Tough Little Dennis

Back Cover: Ads for Giants #44-47

Note: It looks like part of the Ali Baba and part of the Brave Tailor story and the entire Margaret story is Al Wiseman art. Rest of art by Frank Hill. Cover by Al Wiseman. Last new Dennis art by Al Wiseman.

#49. All Year ‘Round

Reprints Giant #31

Back Cover: Ads for Giants #46-48

Publisher: Fawcett, Fall 1967

Note: Exact reprint of #31 but with updated calendar.

#50. At the Circus

New Stories: The Circus Is in Town; Presenting the Dennis Mitchell Circus; Circus Quiz feature (text with illustrations)

Back Cover: Ad for this comic

Note: No Wiseman art

#51. Christmas Special

New Stories: Seasons Greetings; Santa's Little Helper; Snow A-Go-Go; Dennis 1968 calendar; An Olde English Chistmasse; Three Wise Kids

Publisher: Fawcett, Winter 1967

Notes: Inside front and back covers have "The Cookie Jar" feature which prints Dennis fan mail and includes a citation from the Easter Seal Society thanking Hank Ketcham for his generosity. Also included is a letter from Kansas State University requesting artwork for their libraries. No Wiseman art.

#52. Sports Special

New stories, each sports-related: Dennis All-American and Play Ball, baseball; Strike!, bowling; Fore!, golf; All-American Girl, field hockey; They're Off!, horse racing; Touchdown!, football

Back cover: The Champ

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1968

Notes: No Wiseman art

#53. Spring Special

Reprints stories only from Giant #36

Notes: Exact reprint of #36 but excludes How to Draw (art lesson) and Here's Your Dennis the Menace Almanac (text). 2nd printing of this comic.

#54. And His Dog Ruff

Reprints Giant #14 and #34

Publisher: Fawcett, Summer 1968

Notes: Exact reprint of #14 and #34, but excludes the story "Garden Smarty." Third printing of this comic.

#55. Tall Stories

New Stories: Tall Story; The Adventures of Robin Hood / Dennis; Dennis's Fables; King Arthur; Mother Goose

Notes: No Wiseman art. Ad for next three issues on back cover.

#56. Television Special

Reprints Giant #22 and #37

Notes: Exact reprinting of #22 and #37 but it does not include the tv -script in the back of the comic. Third printing of this comic.

#57. Pet Parade

New Stories: Monkey Business; The Elephant Tale; Putting on the Dog; Ruff's Own Pet; The Mystery Pet; Would You Believe (4 pages of animal facts); Whose Zoo?; Pet Parade

Back Cover: 2-panel Dennis gag (inside); Sitting Pretty (exterior cover)

Note: No Wiseman art.

#58. Best of

Reprints from regular series: Everything's Beachy; Welcome to the Rodeo; Fair Enough; Quizzlers (text, game); Boat Rental; It's Spring, It's Spring...; Girly Whirly

Back cover: No Schooling

#59. Day By Day

New Stories: M-on Day; 2's Day; Wed-Nesday; Thirt Day; Fry Day; Sat Urday; Sun Day

Back cover: Ads for previous four issues

Notes: No Wiseman art.

#60. In Hollywood

Reprints parts of #7, #23, and #42

Publisher: Fawcett, Fall 1968

Back Cover: Ads for issues #55-58

Notes: Two stories in earlier printings not included: Meanwhile Back at the Wilsons; Chasen Around. Also, the following two features were excluded from this printing: Places to Go ... Things to See In and Around Los Angeles (text & map); 1 page Marineland feature called Here's Some Funny Fishes We Saw at Marineland. This is the 5th printing of this comic.

#61. Christmas Favorites

Reprints parts of Giant #10: Uncle Sam's Nephew Dennis; Wishbone Thinking; The Santa-Go-Round

Reprints part of Giant #11: Dennis the Little Angel

Reprints parts of Giant #19: No Christmas?; Dennis in Christmas City; Twas the Day Before Christmas; The Star Over Bethlehem

Publisher: Fawcett, Winter 1968

Notes: No Wiseman or new art.

#62. Fun Book

Reprints some stories only from Fun Book # 1: Dream Vacation; Real Cool; Misster Mitchell; The Secret Life of Dennis Mitchell; Dennis in the Scout-O-Rama; Dippy Dennis; Ruffly Speaking; Teacher's Helper

Back Cover: Ads for #55, 56, 59, and 61

Publisher: Fawcett, Winter 1968

Notes: All stories from Fun Book #1 reprinted except for Bedtime Story. All activities, games, etc., from original book are not included in this reprint.

Dennis the Menace Fun Book #1

New Stories: Dream Vacation; Real Cool; Tent Crossword (game, 1 page); Around the World with Dennis (game, 2 pages); Misster Mitchell; Dennis Cookie Game (2 pages); Auto Crossword (1 page); Momma Goose (text with illustrations); Colorin' Time (coloring page); Famous Writers puzzle(1 page); Identify the States game (2 pages); Ruff Maze (1 page); Days of the Week puzzle (1 page); The Secret Life of Dennis Mitchell; Hey, Kids! (coloring page); Dennis in the Scout-O-Rama; America's Favorite Cut-Up (cut-out page); Dippy Dennis; Ruffly Speaking; Let's Dress Up Ruff (cut-out page); Bedtime Story; Games to Play While Travelin'; Teacher's Helper

Back Cover: The Runaway

Publisher: Hallden, 1960

Note: Wiseman art in Dream Vacation, Bedtime Story, and Dippy Dennis.

#63. And His I-Wish-I-Was Book

New Stories: Man of the House; Out of This World; Up in the Air; Teacher's Threat; Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggar Man, Thief, Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief (each is a separate chapter of the same story); Animal Magic

Publisher: Fawcett, Winter 1969

Notes: First giant to have a non-Dennis ad. On the inside back cover is an ad for the Junior Sales Club of America, and on exterior is an ad for the American Seed Company.

#64. In Mexico

Reprints parts # 8, #25, and #38.

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1969

Notes: Does not include the following chapters of the original 100 page giant: So-Chee-Milko; The Story of Mexico (text with illustrations); Dennis...the Hacienda Ender; King of the Castle. This is the 5th printing of this story.

#65. Around the Clock

Reprints # 44

Publisher: Fawcett, Spring 1969

#66. Gags & Games

New Stories: Hide & Shriek, Take Me to Your Leader, Happy Mirth-Day to You, The Mystery Game, Donkey Business, LOTS OF GAMES & PUZZLES

Publisher: Fawcett, Summer 1969

Notes: No Wiseman art.

#67. Goes to Camp

Reprints # 9, #16, #24, and #39.

Note: This is the 6th printing of this comic.

#68. In Hawaii

Combination of new stories and reprints: First half is all-new chapters: Paradise Park, Sea Life Park, All in Polynesia in a Day. The final chapters are then reprints from #6: Pearl Harbor, Garden Island, Big Island, and Finally...

Note: This is the 8th printing of this comic and the first one to feature a new cover.

#69. Best of

Reprints from regular series: Menace of the Seas, Jumpin' Jupiter, Something Fishy, Monterey County Fair, Dennis the Bookworm, Pet Peeves, City Park, Dennis vs Texas Publisher: Fawcett, August 1969

Note: Wiseman art.

70. Tangled Tales

New Stories: Jack & the Beanstalk, Hansel and Gretel, Tom Thumb & Dinky Dennis, The Match Girl, Red Riding Hood

Publisher: Fawcett, August 1969

71. Highlights

Reprints: Dennis Rides Again, Dennis vs the U.S. Navy, The Space Menace, Phone-y Dennis, No Children, Heat Wave

Publisher: Fawcett, Sept 1969

Note: Wiseman art.

72. In Washington D.C.

Reprints Giant #15, #26, and #40

Publisher: August 1969

Note: Even though issue has a later number, it has an earlier date than #71. 4th Printing.

73. Way Out Stories

Reprints Giant #48

Publisher: Fawcett, Sept 1969

74. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas

Reprints from #11: Christmas Stocking, Sing Along with Joey

Reprints from #10: Christmas Sur-prize, Wishbone Thinking

Reprints from #43: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen; And So On...Silent Night

Publisher: Fawcett, December 1969

75. Merry Christmas to You...

New Stories: Deck the Halls (not the same as story in #43); For Goodness Sake; Dennis Calendar (with a story for each month); A Country Christmas

Publisher: Fawcett, December 1969

76. In the Caribbean: Jamaica and Puerto Rico

New Stories: Jamaica, Puerto Rico

Publisher: Fawcett, January 1970

Note: No Wiseman art. Title changes to DENNIS THE MENACE BONUS MAGAZINE SERIES.

#77. Sports Special

Reprints Giant #52

Publisher: Fawcett, February 1970

#78. Spring Special

Reprints Giant #20

Publisher: Fawcett, March 1970

#79. Tall Stories

Reprints Giant #56

Publisher: Fawcett, April 1970

#80. Day by Day

Reprints Giant #59

Publisher: Fawcett, May 1970

#81. Summer Funner

New: All-Star Cast; Flying High, Let's Play Golf, The Time Bomb

Inside front cover: Cookie Jar Photo essay on inside front cover: "How These Comics Are Made."

Publisher: Fawcett, June 1970

#82. In California

Reprints #33 and #47

Publisher: Fawcett, June 1970

Note: 3rd printing.

#83. Mama Goose

New Stories: Old Mother Goose; Wee Willie Winkie; Dillar a Dollar; Days of the Week (different from Day by Day); 10 Little Indians; Where Oh Where?; Cobbler, Cobbler; The Little Girl with the Curl; Sneezing; Birds of a Feather; The North Wind; [#@$%!!!] Cat)

Publisher: Fawcett, July 1970

Notes: All issues up to and including this issue are squarebound. No Wiseman art.

#84. At the Circus

Reprints Giant #50

Publisher: Fawcett, July 1970

Note: First issue that is NOT squarebound.

#85. Fall-Ball

New Stories: Leaf It to Dennis; Nasa; Charge!; Fair-y Tale

Publisher: Fawcett, August 1970

Notes: No Wiseman art. Issues resume squarebound binding.

#86. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas

Reprinted from #27: Mail Dis-Order

Reprinted from #35: As Yule Like It; A Christmas Carol

Reprinted from #51: Santa's Little Helper; An Olde English Christmasse

New Story?: The Abominable Snowman

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1970

#87. Christmas Special

New: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen; Hark the Herald Angels Sing; The First Noel; Deck the Halls; Silent Night; O Little Town of Bethlehem; On the Twelfth Day of Christmas; 12 Days of Christmas feature (with a one page cartoon for each of the 12 days juxtaposed with a calendar)

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1970

Note: LAST squarebound issue in the series.

#88. In London

New Dennis in London story is the entire comic.

Note: Writer Fred Toole; art Frank Hill stated on inside cover.

Publisher: Fawcett, January 1971

#89. Spring Fling

New Stories: The Space Place; Seeing Is Believing; The Little Cut-Up; Zany Zodiac

Publisher: Fawcett, February 1971

#90. Highlights

Reprints from regular series: Hearing Things; Just Poolin'; A Grandpa Story (non-Dennis); Dennis Loves Sally; Fuss 'N' Feathers; Peace and Quiet; A Grandpa Story (non-Dennis); The Bridge Whiz; Dig That Dennis; The Heat's On/Off/On...;Joey

Publisher: Fawcett, March 1971

#91. Fun Book

Reprints Giant #62

Publisher: Fawcett, April 1971

Note: Partial reprint of Fun Book #1.

#92. In Hollywood

Reprints parts of Giants #7, #23, and #42 and is exact reprint of #60

Publisher: Fawcett, May 1971

Notes: This is the 6th printing of this comic.

#93. Visits Paris

New Story Told in Chapters: Hotel George V; Let's Go Go Metro; Napoleon; Dennis in Paris (map); The Louvre; The Eiffel Tower; Bois Will Be Bois; Versailles

Publisher: Fawcett, June 1971

#94. Jackpot

Reprints from regular series: Body English; Playing It Cool; Puzzle Pages (quizzlers); On the Lam; Puzzle Pages (puzzles); A Gift for Gina; More Quizzlers (puzzles); A Grandpa Story; Bridal Trail; Flags That Tell the Story of Our Country (text with illustrations); Teacher's Threat; The Super Shoppers; Quizzlers (puzzles); A Grandpa Story; The Shoe-Off

Publisher: Fawcett, June 1971

#95. That’s Our Boy

Reprints: Pitter-Patter Painter; Dennis Acts Up; Day By Day with Dennis; Crossed Words; Quizzle Your Friends (puzzles); Strictly Against the Birds; Tee for Three; The Injuns Is Coming; Barber Business; Summertime Santa

Publisher: Fawcett, July 1971

#95. Summer Games

Reprints from regular series: Welcome to the Scottish Gathering & Highland Games; Elm Street School Mini-Olympics; Match Them Up (game); The Dennizoo (text with illustrations); Backyard Golf; Big Game

Publisher: Fawcett, July 1971

Note: Numbering is not a mistake; there are two #95's and no #96 for this series.

#97. Comicapers

New Stories: Time Out for Trouble; The Mountain Climber; The Horsey Set; Anchors Away; Leapin' Lizards; Surprise Party

Publisher: Fawcett, August 1971

#98. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas Around the World

New Story Told in Chapters: Around the What?; Australia; China; Ireland; Holland; Scandanavia; Switzerland; Austria; France; Italy; Greece; Rumania; Russia; Bethlehem

Last Stories Are Reprints Told in Foreign Languages: Agent Adenns (Swedish); Mama Gansa (Spanish); O Poyo Eynaxqohke (Greek); As Atribulacoes do Seu Pereira (Portugese); Under-Vanns-Orer & Indianer-Liv (Norweigan); Unknown Title? (Korean); Inkkarit Yllattavat (Finnish)

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1971

#99. Christmas Special

New Stories: Christmas Caroling; Christmas Happy Holidays; Christmas for Ruff; Christmas in One Ear and Out the Other; Christmas the Snow Job; Christmas the Tree; Christmas Comes for Mr. Wilson; Christmas in Alice-Land; Christmas Santa's Been Here; 1972 Dennis Calendar

Publisher: Fawcett, October 1971

Note: Each story starts with the word "Christmas."

#100. Up in the Air

New Stories: Flights of Fancy; Hot-Air; Zip-Zap Zeppelin; Look, Mom - No Motor!; Winging with Mr. Wilson

Publisher: Fawcett, January 1972

Notes: Circulation numbers in first story. Contains 24 airplane cut-outs.

Here are a few of those pages JRW was referring to from Dennis Christmas Giant # 5. The feature runs 10 pages. After a splash page showing Dennis making a mess creating his own Christmas cards, we are treated to 9 pages of the supposedly Dennis-created art. Of course, now we know that these were created by Jaunty Jim Wiseman with inking by Avuncular Al Wiseman (if I may act like Stan Lee for a moment)! I'll share 3 of the best:

Christmas01.jpg

Christmas02.jpg

Christmas03.jpg

So, Jim when are you taking over the Sunday strip?

Dennis Christmas Giant # 5 also featured a text adaptation of Dickens "A Christmas Carol" with spot illos by AW: Here are just a few samples:

ChristmasCarol01.jpg

ChristmasCarol02.jpg

I did not want to squish my square bound annual on my scanner - so these really don't do justice to the nice holly-trimmed border that Wiseman provided.

Forget "hidden Mickeys." Thanks to Jim we can now scan old DTM issues loking for hidden Wisemans. Here's the one Jim mentioned from the final page of Dennis Christmas Giant # 5 (the main image is the frequently repeated one of Dennis sitting atop a mountain of toys exclaiming, "Is that all?") Jim identified the man in the picture frame as a sly self-portrait from Al.

Christmas04.jpg

Okay, everybody, here is the revised and updated Dennis the Menace Giant index, going from no number to 100. If there is any error, please let me know!

Joe

#48. Way Out Stories

New Stories: Away Way Out, Aladdin & His Magical Lamp and Dennis and His Magic TV; Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves and Dennis and the 40 Outlaws, Margaret Goldilocks & Dennis Charming; The Brave Little Tailor and Tough Little Dennis

Back Cover: Ads for Giants #44-47

Great list, Joe! Thanks.

I do have a question about issue 48 having no Wiseman art, though. Could you double check on that? I'm pretty sure that the cover is by Wiseman. And Frank Hill told me that this was the last Dennis comic Al contributed to. According to Frank, Al called him up and said he quit partway through this Dennis comic job and that Hank would need someone to finish it. So Frank called up Hank and got hired.

When I was a kid, I ran across a copy of the reprint of the comic and wondered why the stories would switch from Wiseman to Hill with no rhyme or reason (though I didn't know thier names at the time). I was happy that Frank (who is one of the nicest cartoonists I've ever met) was able to clear it up for me.

So, I'm going to have to say that Wiseman did art for the book (at least until I'm proven wrong)...

Best,

Bill A.

I do have a question about issue 48 having no Wiseman art, though. Could you double check on that? I'm pretty sure that the cover is by Wiseman. And Frank Hill told me that this was the last Dennis comic Al contributed to. According to Frank, Al called him up and said he quit partway through this Dennis comic job and that Hank would need someone to finish it. So Frank called up Hank and got hired.

When I was a kid, I ran across a copy of the reprint of the comic and wondered why the stories would switch from Wiseman to Hill with no rhyme or reason (though I didn't know thier names at the time). I was happy that Frank (who is one of the nicest cartoonists I've ever met) was able to clear it up for me.

So, I'm going to have to say that Wiseman did art for the book (at least until I'm proven wrong)...

Best,

Bill A.

Bill A., thank you! This is just what I need is to have someone double-check stuff. Sure enough, there are some pages that are clearly Wiseman as is the cover. The first three pages are clearly AW, then it changes to a different style. It looks like part of the Ali Baba and part of the Brave Tailor story and the entire Margaret story is Al Wiseman art. I generally check by story and had assumed that one artist worked an entire story. At this point I think I have a pretty good eye for AW's art and can tell it from the rest. As a matter of fact, he's the only Dennis artist I can clearly distinguish. However, there is a period in the 1950s where HK and AW seem almost identical in style, I will readily admit.

It appears you know who the artists of these comics are, so any help you can provide in that regard will be HUGELY appreciated for this indexing project. For example, who is the artist who did Giants 9, 10, and 11? Was that Frank Hill or Owen Fitzgerald or Lee Holley? Any help is appreciated and the sooner the better so I can get back in and edit the post. If I don't edit it soon, I will have to repost the entire index.

Joe

Finding out that wiseman may NOT have drawn all the issues he is credited with is another incredible revelation. I hope Mr. Alger can shed some more light on this as we proceed! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well Bill, I'm guessing that Al probably worked on all the books he's credited for, but didn't pencil and ink everything himself. If, in fact, Wiseman didn't pencil the really early Dennis comic books, then I'd assume he had a hand in inking them. I'll email Bill Wray and see if he can contact Shane Glines to get the details. I'll also see if Bill wants to post here. This board can never have enough Bills. grin.gif

Bill. A.

Hey Bill,

Here I an with a lousy memory for names, but a pretty good eye for variations in the Ketchum style. I guess that sounds a little cocky, but I'm a cartoonist who has mimicked a lot of styles and been influenced by Ketcham strongly. So yes Wiseman had lots of help in the early issues. You can see variations in the early Sundays as well. Shane remembers names better than I. Lets hope he drops by.

Basically I think Al was penciling and inking from the beginning, but had at least three or four guys helping him at different times in the early the years. In the early days it was guy mostly penciling for him, later it seems he would get both inking help and some penciling help. George Crenshaw comes to mind as a solid, but slightly bland penciler that you can spot by the way he draws Dennis's mom. Something about the way he did her eyes and put a little less into the general detail.

It seems obvious Hank was trying out different guys and Wiseman went to the top of the pack pretty fast. I think his work is so strong it influenced Ketcham himself, ushering a competition in drawing Denis more consistently and real. You can see a swift evolution in the drawing style over the years until the comics become almost to real for my taste. Something so funny bratty, charming about the first few years of the strip and comic died. So as much as I love Al's work I blame him for the loss of the Kurtzman like early cartooning on the strip. Rampant speculation on my part, but the fact Ketcham never stiffed up as much as Al seems a kind of evidence to my theory.

Edited by Bill Wray

Big welcome to Mr. Wray! Longtime admirer of your work.

I think I understand what you're saying about Wiseman's work vs. Ketcham's, but I also never found Al's work "stiff." While he clearly loved straight lines and sharp angles, his faces and body postures always seem full of action to me. There is also something friendly and inviting about the world of Dennis as he drew it.

As I stated, my favorite period for the Ketcham strip is the period when Ketcham's and Wiseman's styles are similar.

Bill A. - Good catch on Dennis Giant # 48. I had it listed in my own index as "some Wiseman" but hadn't had time to really check it since Joe made his index. The cover defintiely looks like Wiseman.

Joe - Awesome job!!! From a standing start we now have a comprehensive index to the first 100 issues of Dennis Giants! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Onward!

It appears you know who the artists of these comics are, so any help you can provide in that regard will be HUGELY appreciated for this indexing project. For example, who is the artist who did Giants 9, 10, and 11? Was that Frank Hill or Owen Fitzgerald or Lee Holley? Any help is appreciated and the sooner the better so I can get back in and edit the post. If I don't edit it soon, I will have to repost the entire index.

Joe

Hi Joe, I'll have to check through my collection and see if I have copies of those issues. From looking at the scans you posted a while back, I'm thinking Owen Fitzgerald was the artist. It would have been too early for Frank Hill to have drawn them.

Frank Hill has a pretty recognizable style to me (every time I see original "Lee Holley Poneytail comic book art" on eBay I want to correct the seller by saying "Don't you mean 'Lee Holley Poneytail comic book art as ghosted by Frank Hill?" But then I realize that I might be the only person in the universe who this matters to...

Bill A.

In the early days it was guy mostly penciling for him, later it seems he would get both inking help and some penciling help. George Crenshaw comes to mind as a solid, but slightly bland penciled that you can spot by the way he draws Dennis's mom. Something about the way he did her eyes and put a little less into the general detail.

Bill W.,

Does this art (from Dennis the Menace Giant Vacation Special #2) look like Crenshaw pencils to you or somebody else? This layout always struck me as rather bland as compared to stories with Wiseman's energetic pencils.

Bill A.

Vacation2.jpg

Hi Joe, I'll have to check through my collection and see if I have copies of those issues. From looking at the scans you posted a while back, I'm thinking Owen Fitzgerald was the artist. It would have been too early for Frank Hill to have drawn them.

Frank Hill has a pretty recognizable style to me (every time I see original "Lee Holley Poneytail comic book art" on eBay I want to correct the seller by saying "Don't you mean 'Lee Holley Poneytail comic book art as ghosted by Frank Hill?" But then I realize that I might be the only person in the universe who this matters to...

Bill A.

Well, I'm glad you've finally found a bunch of people who think this is important too! thumbsup2.gif I know I'm one of them. If there is one aspect of Dennis collecting that I really am learning the most about here, it's the artists. Before I started this thread, I thought Dennis art was basically Ketcham, Wiseman, and "other." Now I'm learning there's a whole lot more to it than that. ANY help from anybody about identifying the various artists of stories, covers, entire issues, PLEASE pitch in! These artists have received no recognition and / or credit for their hard work over the years, so I can't think of a better focus for this thread than to establish that. And the anecdotes, like the ones Jim Wiseman is providing, are the greatest. Everyone, keep it all coming! As I receive information about the index, I will update the index, and, again, if there are any errors, please point them out.

And speaking of artists, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS, Bill Wray! Dennis truly is a menace in your painting.

Joe

Yes, I am not only familiar with those Rascals, I have two issues of their comic.

In general the Clubhouse Rascals were older than Dennis. They featured a multi-ethnic (but stereotypical) cast and seemed to have more in common with the Little Rascals and Little Lulu comics (especially the ones that dealt with Tubby's boys club) than Dennis.

I actually have a weaknesses for any comics (like the aforementioned Clubhouse Rascals) that were later reprinted by the I-W/Super outfit in the early 60's. For those not familiar with these comics. In the early sixties, an outfit alternately known as either I-W or Super (same company, tho') got the rights to reprint several defunct comic books from several publishers, including Timely's line of funny animal comics, Super Brat from Toby Press, The Brain (another great unsung strip by Dan DeCarlo), and various titles from Magazine Enterprises (M-E). They also reprinted super-hero material from Quality Comics including Jack Cole's Plastic Man, Doll Man, and Will Eisner's The Spirit.

What made these comics unique was their manner of distribution. While all the books contained a ten cent cover price, they were not sold individually. Instead they were bagged in groups of 3-5-7-9 comics, etc. and then sold at a greater discount than if they were purchased individually. For example, if it was a bag of 5 titles, that might go for 35 or 40 cents. My memory is very hazy about the pricing structure, but I remember that you had several different sizes of comic lots to choose from. They were sold at what used to be called five-and-dime stores.

I owned quite a few of these as a kid as you got a lot more bang for your buck buying in bulk. As an adult, I began to reassemble my collection back when you could fish these out of any dealer's bargain box at pennies on the dollar. In the last few years they have finally started to appreciate in value - especially as artists like DeCarlo have begun to get recognition.

[Whew! Pretty long-winded way to say, "Yes, I've heard of the Clubhouse Rascals."]