• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
5 5

1,645 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2024 at 5:13 PM, Morganmi said:

I remember Bruce Ellsworth telling me about that IRS collection. If I remember correctly (and that's a big IF lol) the IRS commissioned him to assess its' value after some poor dude got in big tax trouble. Can't remember if he was the guy who ended up selling them but he wrote about the contents of the collection in one of the Overstreet Update guides. I think I might have a copy of the article somewhere if you haven't read it already.

Here's a good thread on the IRS collection:

On 9/9/2024 at 7:30 PM, mlansdown said:

Here's a good thread on the IRS collection:

Thanks, that thread was way before my board time so never saw it and a much more interesting story. Some really excellent info there with the correct recall from people who were actually involved in it. I just had my 30 year old recollection of Bruce telling me he was going to check out this IRS collection (I think he was calling it that even before he left) in Colorado. Then reading the article he wrote about it in Overstreet. (thumbsu

On 9/10/2024 at 3:39 PM, Jim Fisher said:

Gentleman,

As a fellow decades-long DTM collector, these books of yours are truly jaw dropping. I am primarily a collector of the Wiseman issues, and as you mentioned, high grade (actually anything over a CGC 6.5) early books are nearly impossible to find. I mean there must be only a handful of each issue still in existence. It’s just boggling that, although I’ve tried to find it for years and years (and it‘s arguably one of the best selling and most printed comics of all time), I have never seen a legitimate NM copy of the first printing of Hawaii Giant #6. That yellow square spine is always damaged somewhat. I’ve always wondered why there weren’t (apparently) any file copies kept. You see many pristine titles of the same era from other publishers, but not Pines. I do own a slabbed CGC 7.5 of #1, most of the original art to #23, including the cover, a ‘53 Wiseman Sunday, and a ‘51 Ketchum daily, but anyone reading this thread must be stunned by these books. I would love to see what collective Wiseman originals you have, even to just document what’s out there. Just beautiful stuff and thank you for sharing!

Welcome to the boards, Jim!  Until your post today, I only knew about one original Dennis cover (#20).  It's exciting to hear that you have the cover art to #23. I hope you have the opportunity to post some of your collection!

On 9/10/2024 at 2:39 PM, Jim Fisher said:

Gentleman,

As a fellow decades-long DTM collector, these books of yours are truly jaw dropping. I am primarily a collector of the Wiseman issues, and as you mentioned, high grade (actually anything over a CGC 6.5) early books are nearly impossible to find. I mean there must be only a handful of each issue still in existence. It’s just boggling that, although I’ve tried to find it for years and years (and it‘s arguably one of the best selling and most printed comics of all time), I have never seen a legitimate NM copy of the first printing of Hawaii Giant #6. That yellow square spine is always damaged somewhat. I’ve always wondered why there weren’t (apparently) any file copies kept. You see many pristine titles of the same era from other publishers, but not Pines. I do own a slabbed CGC 7.5 of #1, most of the original art to #23, including the cover, a ‘53 Wiseman Sunday, and a ‘51 Ketchum daily, but anyone reading this thread must be stunned by these books. I would love to see what collective Wiseman originals you have, even to just document what’s out there. Just beautiful stuff and thank you for sharing!

Welcome to the boards.  Show us your copies...(thumbsu

My Dennis 1 is a pretty average copy with good centering.  It's challenging to find this issue where the 10c price is not wrapped around the spine.  I do have another copy of Dennis 1 currently at CGC right now that might give me a little grade bump over my current copy.  This book is frequently chipped around the edges and the paper has a strong propensity to tan.  There are some nice copies available in the 6.0 - 7.5 range but I've never seen a really great example of this book.  The hunt continues!

Dennis the Menace 1 CGC 4.0 OW.jpg

Dennis the Menace 1 CGC 4.0 OW (Back).jpg