• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Affleck to write, direct standalone Batman movie

23 posts in this topic

http://jam.canoe.com/Movies/2015/07/09/22497651.html

LOS ANGELES - Ben Affleck is in talks to star in, co-write and possibly direct a standalone "Batman" movie.

Sources have confirmed to Variety that Affleck is in negotiations to pen the solo "Batman" film with Geoff Johns after he has finished directing "Live By Night," which is set to begin production this November.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

Additional details are still under wraps other than the fact that Affleck will star as the caped crusader, a role that he will first assume in "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," as well as "Justice League," which bows in 2017.

See More:Ben Affleck's 'Live by Night' Gets Greenlight, November Start Date (EXCLUSIVE)

Given how much time and effort goes into directing, it might be a long while before Affleck puts pen to paper. He's currently focused on getting "Live By Night," based on Dennis Lehane's Prohibition-era crime novel, off the ground.

Affleck is expected to be promoting "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" this weekend at Comic Con in San Diego.

He can be seen next in Warner Bros.' "The Accountant," which bows in January. Affleck is repped by WME.

The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

Affleck tends to be good in things that Affleck directs/writes. So this is a good thing. So you'll likely see the best possible Batfleck in this, regardless of how good or bad he does in the role in BvS.

Wonder if they will try to adapt something that Johns has written already for the movie. Or is this obvious/dumb? Can't think of anything fantastic Johns has written for Batman, but Flash on the other hand...

They should wait to see how the Batman vs Superman movie does first. What if it flops? What if Affleck is horrible? Making this decision now just strikes me as odd.

I cannot take this post seriously as it is not "official"

That being said, maybe they've seen enough to determine it's a can't lose. Still haven't approved the -script. All of this is very early in development and can change at any given moment

I think it comes down to this: they hired Affleck as Batman with the intention of Affleck directing at least some of the DC movies. Specifically the DC movies with Affleck. See: The Town, Argo, others as evidence that he can act pretty well in movies he directs. But they couldn't with JLA because of their existing deal with Snyder

I think it comes down to this: they hired Affleck as Batman with the intention of Affleck directing at least some of the DC movies. Specifically the DC movies with Affleck. See: The Town, Argo, others as evidence that he can act pretty well in movies he directs. But they couldn't with JLA because of their existing deal with Snyder

Interesting enough, there was an article back in 2012 that talked about Warner wanted Affleck directing JLA.

2012 - Warner Brothers wants Ben Affleck to direct the JLA movie

It appears it at least got him into one of its other movies as a director.

They should wait to see how the Batman vs Superman movie does first. What if it flops? What if Affleck is horrible? Making this decision now just strikes me as odd.

It shows that Warners is confident in Affleck as Batman, and in Batman v. Superman being a good film.

It shows that Warners is confident in Affleck as Batman, and in Batman v. Superman being a good film.

^^

He is actually a very good director, he has said in interviews that he wanted to brush up on how to do a big action pic again and that BVS was giving him lots of experience in that regard. I also think its easier and cheaper for them to lock him in for more films now than after BVS and JLA, its not really that much of a gamble from their perspective.

^^

Warner Bros. was ready to sell us the Joel Schumacher follow-up to Batman & Robin, Batman Triumphant before that monstrosity opened too. Sounds like media hype to counter Affleck's weight gain and pending divorce. I guess we should be glad he wasn't caught in a donut shop licking pastries. lol

Given how much time and effort goes into directing, it might be a long while before Affleck puts pen to paper. He's currently focused on getting "Live By Night," based on Dennis Lehane's Prohibition-era crime novel, off the ground.
OH boy, another Lehane movie. :ohnoez:

I'm actually reading Sacred right now. After I re-read Gone Girl, I might revist Mystic River.

Warner Bros. was ready to sell us the Joel Schumacher follow-up to Batman & Robin, Batman Triumphant before that monstrosity opened too. Sounds like media hype to counter Affleck's weight gain and pending divorce. I guess we should be glad he wasn't caught in a donut shop licking pastries. lol

He is so going to surprise you by jumping out from behind a tree in a bear suit.

movies-ben-affleck-argo-award.jpg

He is so going to surprise you by jumping out from behind a tree in a bear suit.

movies-ben-affleck-argo-award.jpg

Don't laugh, I'm expecting them back in a week or two. It'll be a great sequel to my news story. Like Davy Crockett, I plan to grin them to death. (thumbs u

I really have no problem with Ben the artist (Argo, Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Good Will Hunting, Boiler Room, Chasing Amy, Phantoms...), but this is paycheck Ben (you see what I did there < ), this is the guy who kept busy in Hollywierd turning out clunker after after the horrid Armageddon and still gave us Pearl Harbor for our troubles. Besides two profitable Sherlock Holmes movies, has Robert Downey Jr. had any Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang's since 2008? I don't call his screen choices as being typecast, but blatant laziness. $$$

I see Affleck eventually following in a similiar pattern. :(